Should we move to Disney World????

Safety Mom, your area sounds terrific. We're going to do a lot of looking and soul-searching. It will be hard to leave Hawaii, but looking forward to my d/h's retirement, it could be time to do it. I've been retired for 10 years (early out), but we're going to have to find something for him to do until he's 62. ;-)

YetanotherMouseFan, that sounds like a good plan. For us, I worry about the real estate "bubble" here in Kona, which may or may not burst. Prices have sky-rocketed, but you can never tell how long it will last.

Our biggest problem will be whether or not we can live on the mainland again after living here. Financially, it's a no-brainer. We figure 20% cheaper right off the top.

My DW and self would love to move to WDW area in the next year or so. With about $400K to spend on home what type home can we expect to own. DW is a school teacher and would be interested in teaching in Fla. What are teacher salaries like?? I may be interested in part time work.

Thanks pirate:

A heads up--there are a LOT more technology jobs in Tampa.

Most of the technical jobs in the Orlando area are up in the Lake Mary area.

Anne

Since someone else brought up teaching... :)

I teach in NY and hate the winter. My ex-husband moved to Gainesville over a year ago and loves it. It seems that moving to FL would be a good idea as it would bring our kids closer to their dad, as well as get me out of this blasted weather.

However, other teachers strongly recommend that I stay in NY for its retirement benefits - I'm told that NY has one of the best in the nation - and my ex says that the public schools in FL do not offer the same level of academics for our children. I'm not sure we could afford private school, and I'm worried about my own future - if I leave NY, I lose my contributions so far and may not be able to recoup those losses in FL's system.

Those of you with children in Florida, how do you feel about the schools? Any teachers out there who could weigh in on this as well? Input is greatly appreciated!

BTW, no matter where I am for the next few decades, I *will* be moving to Florida upon my retirement! A second career at WDW sounds interesting...

I waited until my son graduated before even thinking about moving (taking the plunge in late April!). He has special needs and the school we got him into in NJ is reknowned nationally as one of the best for his type of situation. There was no way I was giving that up.

Most of my friends in FL with kids send them to private schools, or plan on it when the kids are old enough to attend.

Anne

I moved to Orlando from NY and I live 7 miles from the Orlando International Airport. This is only about five or six exits away from Disney (15 mins) and it is an area that is really growing. There are many new homes, communities going up and plenty of lakes, such as Moss Park State Park. We are between 528 and 417 (which I take all the time and is less traveled to Disney). I live at North Shore at Lake Hart (www.northshoreatlakehart.com) and we have town homes too. This is a gated community with a golf course. We have Moss Park Commons by Beazer Homes, Mercedes Homes, Vista Lakes, Tivoli Woods, Tivoli Gardens and Lake Nona Golf and Country Club the home of Anika Sorestam, Ernie Els, Retief Goosen, Sergio Garcia, Nick Faldo and Lou Holz to name a few. Not a bad area and really exploding.

Don't forget to check the airlines for employment, ie customer service. Even as a part timer you get free flight benefits. Can't beat that.

Great idea about checking out work with the airlines, Pigsty333!

Do you find the Moss Park area is affected by airport noise?

TIA!

Aloha,
Nancy

ORD2KOA,
Grew up in NY, lived in Lake Buena Vista for 1 1/2 yrs & worked for Disney and met DH there, now live in NE with him where he's from and he always says he wants to move back to WDW. We have 3 kids & there's no way I want them going to school there. I think the scenery is unattractive, there's way too much tacky touristy areas, no culture, too much crime in a lot of neighboring areas and there's no hills or mountains and you're about 2 hrs from the ocean and don't forget about the roaches! I just got intrigued when I saw your post because my DH always says he wants to move to a warmer climate & I always say that the only warm climate area I'd like to live in on a permanent basis is Hawaii! So my question for you is, if you can afford to stay in Hawaii, why on earth would you chose to leave there? I can understand if it's because of family, but you didn't mention anything like that.
Don't get me wrong all you FL lovers, I know there are nice areas in FL, I just don't want my kids growing up there. I told DH that when we retire, I'm willing to live in FL for half the year and half up here.
When DH sees this post he'll want to kill me for starting trouble since he's such a big FL fan.... : :rotfl2: :rolleyes1

Sorry to hear you don't like FL. I think where I live is beautiful. I live in an area of rolling hills, cattle grazing, and I go past groves of oranges. I had to wait for an alligator to cross the road in front of my plan today. It's about 1 1/2 hour to either the ocean or the gulf from my house. Much better than when I lived in PA.

The tourist areas remind me of congested areas in PA and I know how to avoid those areas here in FL. Not much crime in my area, seems pretty tame as compared to PA.

The roaches aren't fun but that is a small price to pay for living in paradise.

I am only 12 miles to Epcot. I am glad not everyone wants to move to FL.

sorry Safetymom, but alligators crossing the road doesn't exacty do it for me either.

dtsaos said:
I just got intrigued when I saw your post because my DH always says he wants to move to a warmer climate & I always say that the only warm climate area I'd like to live in on a permanent basis is Hawaii! So my question for you is, if you can afford to stay in Hawaii, why on earth would you chose to leave there? I can understand if it's because of family, but you didn't mention anything like that.

Aloha Dtsaos!

Long story short, the Californians (no offense meant to the CA Dis members) are invading Kona, bringing with them the huge amounts of cash that they made by selling their homes in CA. (Not to mention the traffic.) Our houses seem "cheap" in comparison, even though home prices here have just about tripled in the past five years. Growth is insane here, the wells in Kailua that serve town are turning brackish because there is no water conservation, and more building is being allowed without any regard to whether or not there is enough water to sustain that growth. The "attitude" of many of the new people is disturbing, bad driving habits, and it's more and more "rush, rush, rush" like on the mainland. If I'm going to have to deal with that nonsense, I might as well live on the mainland.

Originally, we were going to settle "around" Orlando, looking at Windermere, Clermont, Winter Park, most likely the west/southwest Orlando area. But 5 years ago, the monthly outlay for taxes and mortgage "evened out" between Kona and Orlando, so we chose Kona. (We have no services, so the real estate taxes here are very low, but our house cost about $70K more than what we would have purchased in Orlando.)

Anyway.......the prices of homes in our neighborhood have just gone mad, travel from here (since 9/11) has just become a stinking nightmare (and the costs have jumped at least 20-25%), and I'm beginning to think that it may make sense to sell our home while the prices are insane, take the substantial profit, and move to central Florida. Our stocks, like everyone else's are in the dumper, but maybe we need to think about our house as an investment that is ripe for the picking, and use that to our advantage.

From what I can tell, we'll save $20k a year living in Central FL. I know that the real estate (property) taxes are high, but that there is no income tax. We pay the highest (last I heard) rates for electricity in the country. Our bill averages a little over $200 per month. We don't have a/c or heating, and we have a solar water heater.

I know that gasoline is cheaper ($2.35 a gallon at Costco, $2.60 everywhere else), but we'd probably drive more, and I know we'd have to heat and air condition a home in Florida. I believe we'd save 15-25% on groceries, and just the access to outlets and shopping (not to mention WDW) would make a huge difference. (My nearest Sears, and OfficeMax is a 99-mile drive.) Another thing we really miss are "art fairs" - all you get here in Kona is "bad fish art" by the same artists all the time. LOL

Honestly, I love Hawaii, and a year ago, I told people I couldn't imagine leaving. Now, I can imagine it.

You mentioned "tacky" stuff - have you ever seen the junk from everywhere but Hawaii that they peddle to the tourists here? Our town is a tourist trap, like Orlando. But I feel our "home" in Orlando would be like our home here - quiet, peaceful and a pleasant place to live that has nothing to do with the tourist trade.

Regarding schools, we don't have children, but I know that most people here send their kids to private schools if they want them to succeed, and you have to send your kids to the mainland to college. They can't be raised believing the entire world is like Hawaii. We all know it isn't. ;-)

So, those are pretty much my reasons. We can afford to stay here, but we can "better afford" to take the money and run. ;-)

BTW - We're born and raised in the City of Chicago, and after nearly years of living there, I believe we could live anywhere.

Aloha,

Nancy

I forgot to mention the bugs. In the tropics, you have bugs. They call the big, flying roaches "B-52s" here. And we have centipedes that are 8-9 inches long. Can't kill them with a shoe - you have to hit them with a cleaver. ICK!!

safetymom said:
The roaches aren't fun but that is a small price to pay for living in paradise. .

ORD2KOA,
thanks for clearing that up. I'm sorry to hear that Hawaii is getting so congested and all the other negatives that you mentioned. Perhaps living in FL would be better for you after all. I guess my thing is that even though i love to visit WDW, if for some reason my DH ever convinced me to move to FL, it would be in a totally different area than WDW. It's just way to theme parky, tackyish of an area for me. And yes, I know there are areas relatively close by that are not part of the theme park atmosphere, but it would be still too close to all that for me. Okay, i just don't like Fl to live in! What can I say? I love the Northeast-I love the mountains and the ocean up here and the natural beauty everywhere. Granted the winters are harsh and maybe some day I won't be able to stand the winters anymore... but for now I'm fine just vacationing in warmer areas.
By the way, I didn't realize you got the flying roaches in Hawai-those would totally freak me out!

:flower:

dtsaos said:
By the way, I didn't realize you got the flying roaches in Hawai-those would totally freak me out! :flower:

We were in this house ONE day (we didn't move here until about 7 weeks after we closed, so the house had been empty), before I called the bug guy to come out.

We had one of those centipedes, a cane spider (they're like out of a horror movie, just enormous), some big roaches, and miscellaneous other creepies in here. We've got moths the size of your hand, etc. I didn't think we'd last a week in Hawaii. LOL

And if you don't like geckos......well, you'd have to get used to them.
:-)

Seriously, it's a wonderful place to live, but like everywhere, it has issues. I don't believe anywhere is "perfect," and if travel were easier/cheaper (our tickets to Orlando are nearly $1k each), and we weren't being over-charged for everything, maybe I wouldn't consider it -- heck, we may come back after 2 1/2 weeks in Orlando in May and decide we're not ready to go back to the mainland, and stay here a while longer. I don't really know what we'll decide, but that's why I keep asking questions.

I forgot to add --- the idea of living where there are SNAKES freaks me out a little. There are no snakes in Hawaii.

I have lived here for a year and a half and that is the first time I have seen an alligator crossing the road. I was surprised to see it.

safetymom said:
Sorry to hear you don't like FL. I think where I live is beautiful. I live in an area of rolling hills, cattle grazing, and I go past groves of oranges. I had to wait for an alligator to cross the road in front of my plan today.

Yikes! One of the things I asked about before we built the house was if there had ever been alligators in the neighborhood. I was told down the road about two miles the lake was heavy with them, but that they won't stray that far from their food source uphill 100 or more feet in elevation to be bothered coming to my neighborhood.

I had to deal with a snake a few weeks ago, it was on the lanai. I wanted to call an exterminator, was up on a chair. DH was splitting a gut laughing at me...the thing was about

that long and hanging by the screen trying to get out of the lanai. He didn't want to be near us anymore than we wanted to be near him.

I ended up putting on heavy leather work gloves--the kind that come up almost to your elbows, and getting the whisk broom and pan, sweeping it on, holding it down, and pitching it out the door. DH was hysterical, he told me to just pick the thing up with the gloves or use the brush and pan, that it was a little overkill to have both.

No roaches inside the house, we have the "Tubes In the Walls" system and it's amazing! Seen a few dead palmetto bugs outside in the yard though.

We also live in the rolling hills and are surrounded by orange groves. My house sits about 240 feet above sea level.

Anne

I am not worried about alligators in the neighborhood because there is no water. Where the alligator was crossing was farm land on one side to a lake on the other. Maybe people on that side of the road might have to worry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter