Should we move to Disney World????

My husband and I discuss this all the time. He wants to be a landscaper in Disney World, and I want to be a costume designer there! But with 2 kids in school (1 in college, 1 in high school) we have to wait 2 years til they both graduate to get out of these awful New York winters. Hopefully my youngest in high school will pick a college to go to near Disney in Orlando!

We built a house in Celebration. I'm SO glad that we did it a year ago. The prices there have gone through the roof since we built (I assume because it's nearing build-out). We're just now getting ready to move to FL, and the Celebration house will likely be a weekend house at that for a few years. I am so glad that we decided to move to FL!

I am thinking of moving down to orlando soon as well, i hate the snow and cold weather and i would love to work in one of the hotels on property. But does anyone know how i could find out what starting pay rates are or does anyone know what they are?

I have bills and i just want to be able to plan and budget for the costs.

TIA
Amy

We retired to Orlando two years ago, and totally love it. We live in a 55+ community that is wonderful. We have spent our summers traveling and visitng grandkids. When we are here we visit the parks 2 or 3 times a week. We get our exercise, by walking in the theme parks, and we always eat a meal somewhere on the properties. It's a wonderful life style, and I would recommend it to anyone. In fact, my sister moved down here last month. :flower1:

We moved here 2 years ago from California. As far as technology jobs go, they are hard to find. And the salaries aren't what we were used to in CA. Either have a job lined up before you go, or be prepared to do something else in the meantime.

We bought DVC when we got here at Vero Beach. We go there about twice a year so I can get my ocean fix!

Yes, the bugs are bad but our house is newly constructed and we have a yearly maintenance contract. Yes, everyone complains about the traffic on I4 but we moved here from LA - nuff said. And hot is definitely hot! but we live here so can do the parks in the cooler weather. And the schools take a bad rap, but there are good schools and good teachers.

Like other posters have said - do some research before making your decision. Good luck.

:)

Very much enjoying reading this thread.

I just have a quick question for those of you who live so close to Disney (as I think I would love to do as well).

Is the excitement still there? I mean has it dulled your excitment of going cause as I've read some of you go through the week just for dinner and such or has it intensified excitement and you just can't wait for your next time to go and thank goodness you're so close.

And how about for those of you who work there? Do you find yourself not wanting to "hang out" where you work?

I said that to one CM about how lucky she was to work there and she said, "Please, I never come here when I'm not working and this is the last place I'd go for vacation :snooty: " OK, sorry I asked. . .

Anyway I think it would be fabulous to live so close to the place I love most in the world.

Just interested in some of your thoughts.

I moved here to FL Dec 20, 2003. I had bought my AP when I came looking for houses at the end of Oct.

When we checked the day before I renewed I had gone to WDW 86 times. Am I tired of the parks? NO WAY!!!! I still haven't riden and done everything. It's nice not having to ride everything every time you go.

I like to sit and people watch or take in the shows I didn't have time to do before. Since I renewed in Oct. I have probably been 20 times.

It's also great because now I can do the AP previews when a new ride opens or just go over to the park for a Dole Whip or dessert. :)

Everyone told me when I moved wait till you go through your first summer and we will see if you still like Florida. Well 3 hurricanes took a path over my house, I had damage and I STILL LOVE FLORIDA!!!!

I don't know that moving to Florida is right for everyone but we love it here.

For our vacation last year we went to Disneyland and plan to go again this year. Can't get enough Disney. :)

ForTheLoveofDisney said:
And how about for those of you who work there? Do you find yourself not wanting to "hang out" where you work?

I said that to one CM about how lucky she was to work there and she said, "Please, I never come here when I'm not working and this is the last place I'd go for vacation :snooty: " OK, sorry I asked. . .

I think there are pretty much 2 schools of thought on the CM side ... there are the folks that work at WDW because it's a job and relatively close to their home, and there are jobs available. These are the type of people who aren't likely to come visit the parks on their days off.

Then there's the type of people who came to work for Disney because it IS Disney, the people who really understand Walt's visions, and who are actually enthusiastic about their jobs. These types of people are much more likely to be found in the parks on their days off. Not necessarily in the park every time they have a day off, but at least a few times a month.

(I personally consider myself in the 2nd category)

My husband and I were vacationing in the World in December, staying at the Celebration Hotel. We very nearly purchased a condo in Celebration, but only backed out because the appraised value was considerably lower than the asking price which was non-negotiable. This was to be our winter residence, not to move fulltime.

We still think we want to find something in Celebration or very close. Is there anyone here who lives in Celebration and can share both good and bad?

Has anyone heard of, or visited/seen, the Reunion Resort, being built just southwest of Celebration? From what I've read, heard and seen on the website, it will be the top destination in Central Florida once it is finished. Looks like a good investment opportunity for a second/vacation home that one can use whenever one is visiting, but can also place in the rental program when not using it to help cover costs.

I would love to hear opinions of all kinds regarding moving parttime to the WDW area. Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to post publicly.

Susan

DW new position gives us the possibility of transfering to anywhere the Orlando area in a year or so. Any suggestions for a good middle-class area. Since the access to the airport would be the only major requirement would Lakeland or Clermont be bad choices?

I live in Davenport. I travel a lot so easy access to the airport was a must. It is 26 miles from my house to to the parking garage at MCO. I travel 417 and there isn't much traffic so I don't have to worry about traffic jams.

We love Davenport. My house overlooks the country and yet can be on I-4 and the parks or airport in no time.

Ok - here's my situation!

The new job is 95% travel, the rest of the time work from home. I can be based anywhere I want.

This year's projects are mainly in the Southeast.

I rent, have no dependants, etc.

So is anyone else thinking what I am thinking??

My thoughts are maybe to try it out for 6 months, but to do the (temp) move in September so I could be there at the end of bad weather season and over the holiday season....

That is basically how my job was. It didn't make a difference what airport I flew out of so I decided Orlando was as good as on in PA.

Come on down to Florida. :)

I don't think I would choose to move to Florida on the basis of a technology job. Maybe Miami. A touch further north in North Carolina and you can still skip winter except the occasional freak storm and I suspect you'll have the opportunity to benefit from a lower cost of living and a higher salary base than Florida.

If one is still planning on working I'd think the cost of living versus your current location as well as salary versus current location would be very important. Just because something looks cheap the size of the paycut you'd have to take to access that "inexpensiveness" could change that cheap into unaffordable.

Safetymom, I'm really putting some thought into it! Due to tax situation I need to be away from my home country at least 1/2 of all days in the year, and if I get to 4th quarter without meeting that target, I will DEFINITELY be moving to be near the mouse!

Aloha everyone!

This thread has been quiet for about 6 weeks, but my D/H and I are heading to Orlando in May to do a little house hunting. We think it may be the right time to head to Orlando.

I've seen a load of great advice, from living north/south depending on where you will work. I was curious about Clermont, so was happy to read that information, too.

I do have a question that I'm sure some of you can answer. Like everyone else, I have a couple of "issues" regarding where I want to live. An absolutely huge issue for me is airplane noise.

So......I'm wondering if any of you want to share your knowledge on that issue?

Also, opinions on various subdivisions would be appreciated. I was wondering about Hunter's Creek in partcular.

And towns - Poinciana, Clermont, Sanford?

Driving times to WDW - I don't think we want to be more than 1/2 an hour away, and if I can persuade my D/H that he "should" work there, we should be closer, I think.

TIA!

Nancy

I live in Davenport and no airplane noise. Maybe if you moved to Sanford you would have a problem.

I would mention that there are lots of traffic problems with Poinciana. It's a growing area and the roads haven't caught up yet.

For not really knowing much about this area when I moved here I love it. Polk County isn't as built up as some areas if you like quiet living.

Thanks, SafetyMom!

I'm still working out (in my head) "where" various towns are. Davenport is south and west of WDW, is that right? If I have that right, can you tell me if you have any problem with tourist/short-term renters in your area?

I am looking for a peaceful existence. We're spoiled after 6 years in Kona (we're originally from Chicago), and I don't want to go back to the hustle and bustle. When we're at home, I just want a peaceful, quiet, pleasant atmosphere. (Actually, that's a reason I think we'll look for an existing home. As beautiful as some of the developments appear to be - like Reunion and Bellalago (which is why I had the questions about Poinciana), I don't know if I could tolerate the construction. We've put up with a lot of that here.

Thanks again. We'll definitely check into Polk County, and look forward to any other suggestions.

Aloha,

Nancy

My neighborhood is mixed with short term and permanent residents. The house beside me is a rental. You couldn't tell the difference and it seems to be that way in most of the developments I looked at around here. No problems with the renters.

The Reunion area looks very nice and you would have easy access to several major roads.

I love my area because I can look out and see cattle grazing, or turn down the road lined with orange trees but still be very close to I-4. I feel like I have the best of both worlds.

DH and I are considering a move to the area next year after I retire (on years of service: still young enough to have another whole career!) We'd do it in a heartbeat if DH could find a comparable job: he's in a very specialized area of Engineering. Actually, we're looking more toward Winter Haven or Lakeland, which would still be close enough for me to fulfill my dream of working for the Mouse, but more jobs in his field there. It doesn't seem like it would be that much further, is it? Right now, I drive about 35 miles each way to work.

We're thinking of renting short-term to see how we'd like it before we do anything drastic.

:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter