Should we do Universal/IOA?

bananiem

It's like Annie Bananie only it's just Bananie M.<
Our dd is 8 and likes most rides. She loved Splash Mountain and BTR but wasn't crazy about Space Mountain. Our almost 7 year old isn't crazy about any rides that move fast, like his mother. Dh loves all roller coasters.
Here's the question: Should we include Universal/ IOA on our next trip (probably December.) The literature I've read makes it sound like the kid rides there all get you wet and I'm concerned it'll be a bit chilly in December. Are there rides we'll enjoy and get our money's worth or should we just stay WDW again?
Thanks!

That is a difficult question to answer, because so many people feel very strongly on the Universal/Disney comparison & won't give Universal a fair shake because of that. Personally, I love the Universal parks & my children enjoy them as well. They were slightly disappointed with IOA, but only because they were too little for many things there. My children are much younger than yours though & that probably won't be an issue. If she liked Splash Mountain, she will probably love Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls. IOA is a GREAT park with wonderful theming. he only rides that I specifically remember that get you wet are Dudley Do Right & Bluto's Barges. You will likely get DRENCHED on the Barges. Universal was a lot of fun as well. The whole family had a blast in the Curious George area. Other popular attractions with us at US/IOA: Spider Man, Men in Black, Back to the Future, Jaws, The Hulk, ET & Twister, to name a few. The kids LOVED the "real triceratops" at Jurassic Park as well. My suggestion is to give it a try.

We spent 2 days at USF/IOA last summer (after 7 days at WDW) when my ds's were 9 and 11. We all had a great time; in fact, we're planning another trip to WDW/USF next summer and both boys want to spend MORE time at USF/IOA!

There are a lot of rides for younger kids. If they liked Buzz Lightyear, they'll absolutely LOVE Men in Black; we rode it 7 times in a row (FOTL when staying onsite is the best) and finally had a high enough score to earn a "suit". Like Dznyqt said, you get drenched on Popeye's Barges and Dudley Do-Right, so you might want to avoid those rides in December if it's too cool. If DH likes coasters, he'll LOVE Hulk and Dueling Dragons. There's a Dr. Seuss land; I thought my boys were too old for it, but they loved it. The Jurassic Park area is really neat, too.

I think you should give it a try; you'll probably enjoy it more than you think you will.

Loved Universal...My kids (4 & 9 ) Love it too!
As far as getting wet in December...it's a matter of luck. I was there last Dec 7th and it was actually very HOT!! We did lots of water rides and got completely soaked on one (Popeye's Barges) ...it was so hot it didnt matter. I know past December's have been more on the chilly side, so it's just a wait & see kind of thing I guess

If you can afford the time from Disney, do go...both parks offer something for all ages.

I always visit Islands of Adventure when I'm in Orlando, I love the thrill rides. If it's chilly just avoid the wet rides :)

Katholyn

Absolutely! We share time between the parks. Each has it's own personality. We plan to spend more time at US/IOA next time and stay onsite there also. We have in the past spent two days at US/IOA, you can see most of it in December since it should be quieter. I highly recommend Sunday and Monday. These were excellent days on our past visits.

My 8 yr old son loved it but was disappointed that he couldn't do the big roller coasters,too short. He had a great time and wants to go back. He and the rest of my family did get soaked on the dudley ride and the popeye ride but there is still plenty at both parks to enjoy at that age.

For me it's worth it just to go back and eat at Mythos!!

You will get soaked on the Barges but it's great fun so I'd recommend it. We've been twice in October and always take a change of clothes that we leave in the lockers and use after we've been on the Barges.

Bit of a hassle but if you do all the water rides together - Dudley, Barges and Jurassic Park - you get wet once, get changed and then stay dry for the rest of the day. Should work even in a slightly cooler December.

Last year we did the Barges twice in a row and got really wet !

Garry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter