Should they rebuild?

Travel60

DIS Veteran
One of the talking heads on TV has a poll going on this topic (I would do a poll here but don't know how 🥺).

It frequently seems that those who are hit by these storms are not fully insured, ask for state and federal money, then rebuild on the same site. Rinse, repeat.....

Should the government (federal/state) buy the land and force the owners to relocate as a condition for any financial help? Especially on the barrier islands - they would make great recreational parks!

Should the state/county make any funds contingent on building more hardened homes and enact stronger building codes?

Should insurance companies be able to raise rates for risky areas to fully cover losses?

I'm generally a free-will type of person but seems like their free will is touching my pocket (taxes and higher insurance rates.)

One of the talking heads on TV has a poll going on this topic (I would do a poll here but don't know how 🥺).

It frequently seems that those who are hit by these storms are not fully insured, ask for state and federal money, then rebuild on the same site. Rinse, repeat.....

Should the government (federal/state) buy the land and force the owners to relocate as a condition for any financial help? Especially on the barrier islands - they would make great recreational parks!

Should the state/county make any funds contingent on building more hardened homes and enact stronger building codes?

Should insurance companies be able to raise rates for risky areas to fully cover losses?

I'm generally a free-will type of person but seems like their free will is touching my pocket (taxes and higher insurance rates.)

Your questions as worded are NOT based on facts on how this works,

so maybe just not try to start a political discussion. :ssst:

I don't feel good about forcing that, but I think a mutual agreement for the government to buy the barrier islands as parklands sounds pretty cool.

No. The whole idea of insurance is pooling risk. I think that upping the rate because you actually use the insurance is unfair.

To add a poll, go under Edit and look toward the top, the option should be there.

There are so many variables that complicate such a blanket question. Nola has been hit many times by various hurricanes, but it’s often not the same “area”. So it’s often not the same ppl rebuilding continuously. I suspect this is true in a lot of areas. And there are natural disasters everywhere. It’s just obnoxious what ppl think other ppl “should” do when they have never been in that position.

There are case studies already from what happened after Katrina regarding insurance, rebuilding, building codes, etc.

You can't just make a blanket statement that there should or should not be rebuilding.

Many areas close to the water are inhabited for necessary industries. Just in Mississippi we have shipping ports (remember supply chain issues?), military shipbuilding, seafood, marine biology institutions, conservation businesses, NASA space technologies. In addition, humans are naturally drawn to warm, pretty seaside locations to live and play. Our beach road will have over 10,000 classic autos and thousands of visitors this week. Our weather will be about perfect this week with lows in the mid 50s and highs in the mid 80s.

All of these need workers and the support services that workers need.

So many areas inland are devastated by hurricane winds, rain and rising water.

How far inland do you want people to live?

Jackson, Mississippi was without power for 3 weeks after Katrina. It's 2.5 hours away from the Mississippi Coast.

I am inland by 11 miles. I was without power after Katrina for only 3 days. Fortunately, we only had tree/roof damage.

Trees fell on the lines in Jackson area in tornadoes and the continued high winds.

As we tell our kids, it's not all about you 😉

Last edited:

Government has to pay fair market rates when it buys property. If the property is unbuildable / uninsurable it really isn't worth much. So the existing land owners would take a big loss.

Standing still is about as good for a community as it is for water in a pond, when it goes still things choke off, in the end movement brings life.

High end waterfront bring in LOTS of income to municipalities in many ways.
House is there:
Owners must have $ to afford it so they are infusing $ into the area purchasing goods and services floating the local economy.
Owners are paying income taxes and property taxes, keeping communities afloat & paying school related taxes.
Owners are paying for maintenance & upkeep keeping many small service businesses afloat.
People with decent income often (not always but it is common) have the time to put into watchdogging schools and sports and participate in community volunteerism etc.

House suffers a loss.
Not only is it in the community and states best interest to keep that income stream for the aforementioned reasons but the rebuild puts lots of service providing people to work.

A catastrophe is never wanted but like is true in most things, sometimes hidden benefits can be found in the mix.

I live in Florida. We totally expect our insurance rates to go up & are okay with it, if that's what it takes to put a roof over the heads of those affected. We're grateful that we don't have to deal with the aftermath of cleanup or rebuilding. As @Southernmiss said, it's not all about us. Where has compassion gone in our country? :(

It is not unheard of for an entire town to be moved to higher ground as a condition of getting funds to rebuild after a flood disaster.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/R...eprint-for-Iowa-towns-survival-567470311.html
350 people is not a very big town.

They're moving people and doing the same in South Louisiana as the sea water has reclaimed the tribal lands of Native Americans due to climate change. Much easier to move a few hundred than thousands. Though this move has been plagued by red tape and broken promises.

https://www.nola.com/news/environment/article_70ac1746-1f22-11ed-bc68-3bde459eba68.html

I guarantee you, insurance companies always raise our rates.

Even though I live in a hurricane prone area, we've only had about $5,000 in homeowners insurance claims in 30 years.

I assure you the insurance company got their money back from us in under 2 years.

Although we had roof damage, they paid for only repairs. Several handy men and dh chased 2 leaks in our roof for years until we paid $14,000 out of pocket to have the roof replaced. Dh then repaired sheetrock damage himself, also out of pocket.

The only people in my family who have had a total home loss were my grandparents who lived 2 miles from the Gulf. A tornado spun up in Camille in 1969 and lifted their roof off their 1940s craftsman home and sat it down beside the house.

Several generations of people and we've all paid much more in insurance premiums than we've ever received in claims.

There were numerous cases of insurance fraud after Katrina, proved to be committed by the insurance companies who refused to pay claims.

One case was just finally settled this year 17 years later.

https://apnews.com/4ffa6381216ae901431615253780b6f7

I think people in hurricane prone areas should be mandated to get flood insurance.

Worse I read that Florida does not require sellers to disclose prior flooding. If asked they have to tell the buyer- but they don’t have to tell them.

How is that a thing in Florida?

I think people in hurricane prone areas should be mandated to get flood insurance.

Worse I read that Florida does not require sellers to disclose prior flooding. If asked they have to tell the buyer- but they don’t have to tell them.

There are many places that are mandated to have food insurance.

We bought a home on Cape San Blas in Florida last summer. CSB is within eyesight of Mexico Beach, which was ground zero for Michael, the cat 5 hurricane that hit in 2018 (I believe that was the year). Our townhouse flooded, as did most/all in our complex. Interestingly it wasn’t the storm surge but the outflow of water leaving St Joe Bay that caused our homes to flood, but that’s neither here nor there. The townhouses all had about 4 feet of water. This was not required to be disclosed but our realtor knew this to be the case and let us know.

After Michael, much of the Cape was redesigned and the floodplain maps redrawn. Our house went to “x” and does not qualify for federal flood insurance. We have a flood insurance policy with Lloyd’s of London.

I’m not certain how you could require flood insurance on a home that doesn’t have a mortgage. Some people bought these homes as retirement homes but are house rich and cash poor. Just like it’s not a requirement to have insurance on your home for fire, etc. Your mortgage lender probably requires it, but once you own it free & clear you can also choose to self insure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter