Should Disney be considered a tech stock?

I work in IT and in today's world some of the IT issues Disney has are laughable though. 10 years ago it wouldn't have been, but issues like your website going belly up due to too much web traffic, there are easy solutions to that problem today with cloud. E-commerce companies like Amazon handle just as much traffic on a regular basis with no issues.

Exactly even our own government agencies here in Washington State have figured that out. WSDOT knows that when there is a big snowstorm in Seattle the web traffic to the road conditions web page soars by 1000% or more. To handle the traffic they just use Amazon's servers.

There are examples of what were seen as "content" companies valued more for the technology. Skype was Internet calling when Microsoft bought them. If memory serves, and according to two bus drivers, the purchase was more for the advanced CODECs (compression, decompression algorithm) that Skype developed as a proprietary fix for the voice quality issue. Verizon purchased AOL, again according to a couple of chatty cast members working the Pooh ride, was more for the targeted advertising engine that AOL developed in the back end. Both of these technologies live on, even as the names are only spoken in quiet corners of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. TWDC may be known for parks and TV, but if they figure out how to extract dollars from citizens across the world, reliably and for long duration, through automatic bank debits that escape detection for the sake of "value" ... sorry, call it a subscription, the stock explodes.

Think of this... in another discussion board, someone posted that subscribing to Amazon Prime should be considered the same as any other utility payment... That is Chapek's aim, to do it on his watch.
That's every business out there, if the grocery store could set you up this way it would as well

I just don't understand why so many people have to call a live person at Disney to make changes to their reservations? You have to call someone, wait on hold for who knows how long, so another person can type changes into their computer for you? Why can't you just do the same thing yourself on your own computer?
To sum it up, Generational Gap

Potentially, don't underestimate the power of confusion haha

Sure when I use Costco thought even their travel agents have to call a live person at Disney Cruise to make changes. Absolutely insane.

Is there another industry that requires you to call a live person? Most other business when you call they all tell you to use their website.

I just don't understand why so many people have to call a live person at Disney to make changes to their reservations? You have to call someone, wait on hold for who knows how long, so another person can type changes into their computer for you? Why can't you just do the same thing yourself on your own computer?
Well, I've had to call and wait on hold because of glitches in the Disney system. I've also been unable to make reservations online (more glitches) and had to call. And there have been times when what I wanted wasn't available online but somehow was available to a CM when I called.

Well, I've had to call and wait on hold because of glitches in the Disney system. I've also been unable to make reservations online (more glitches) and had to call. And there have been times when what I wanted wasn't available online but somehow was available to a CM when I called.
Exactly my point. Their customer facing systems are lousy. If they were as good as Amazon's you would never have to call. No one calls a live person at Amazon to solve issues. They expect you to use their website to handle the issue yourself which I greatly prefer.

So who's buying? Disney is likely to announce monster growth this week and it's been creeping north....

So, now the question is..... do I hold or take my money and go home! LOL

So who's buying? Disney is likely to announce monster growth this week and it's been creeping north....
I'm breaking even and getting out. Even if there stock is moving upward, I don't want them to think that I support where the company is heading and their new profit-centric approach to running the parks (as opposed to customer service-centric).

I'm breaking even and getting out. Even if there stock is moving upward, I don't want them to think that I support where the company is heading and their new profit-centric approach to running the parks (as opposed to customer service-centric).
That's a reasonable stand for sure! Just wondering what investments that would leave you ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter