Shoes for the Baths?

NMK62303

DIS Veteran
Hi all - looking for recommendations for shoes for touring the Baths - three 15 year olds and four adults. TIA!

Our guide said closed toe shoes or bare feet. We got water shoes from Walmart by Disney. They worked well, and the beach at end of baths has a rock bottom which was nice to have shoes on.

Hi all - looking for recommendations for shoes for touring the Baths - three 15 year olds and four adults. TIA!
I splurged and bought myself a pair of Keen's a couple of years ago (since my feet aren't changing sizes). I buy my daughter a decent, but not super expensive pair of water shoes every summer for camp, trips to lakes and rivers, etc. We had these for our trip to the baths. You will not want bare feet. You will want something with good traction on the bottom. There is a hike down to the baths, climbing over rocks, climbing up and down wooden steps, etc. Some spots are also pretty slippery, so something with some traction is nice. We have bought the cheap Target water shoes before and hated them. The inserts inside kept sliding around or coming out and made them really uncomfortable.
The Bath's were fantastic! I hope you aren't going with the Disney excursion. We went on our own (bought our combination ferry/ taxi tickets when we got to the port) and saved a TON of money. We also got to explore at our own pace and enjoy the area with not very many people (until the huge Disney crowd arrived). The Disney crowd was so huge and looked miserable to us. It was just following the herd through the Baths and mostly waiting in a long line. Thankfully, by the time they got there, we were about ready to leave.

Most of our group wore closed toe water sandals for hiking from Sam's Club clearance (less than $10/pair), similar to keens.

My 11 yo went barefoot!

We wore Keens on the ferry and to hike down to the beach. The hike was pretty rocky and uneven so I was happy we had them. Once we got down to the beach, they were annoying because they were filling with sand and water. I'm not sure how you get around that.

You will want something with good traction on the bottom.

Traction is a good thing. You are up and down over wet stairs/ladders, along wet rocks while hanging on to ropes for stability. It is awesome, but be prepared. At 6'4" some of it was a tight fit for me getting through from section to section. Just went back to look at some of the pictures we took, if you have the opportunity to go, go. It is worth the trip.

I second Keens or something similar. I worse sneakers which was fine for the hiking part but a pain for the beach part.

Sneakers - hands down. Some of the rocks are slimy/algea slippery. Some of the rocks are just slippery. There are nails in the steps that are raised. Sneakers, sneakers, sneakers.

I splurged and bought myself a pair of Keen's a couple of years ago (since my feet aren't changing sizes). I buy my daughter a decent, but not super expensive pair of water shoes every summer for camp, trips to lakes and rivers, etc. We had these for our trip to the baths. You will not want bare feet. You will want something with good traction on the bottom. There is a hike down to the baths, climbing over rocks, climbing up and down wooden steps, etc. Some spots are also pretty slippery, so something with some traction is nice. We have bought the cheap Target water shoes before and hated them. The inserts inside kept sliding around or coming out and made them really uncomfortable.
The Bath's were fantastic! I hope you aren't going with the Disney excursion. We went on our own (bought our combination ferry/ taxi tickets when we got to the port) and saved a TON of money. We also got to explore at our own pace and enjoy the area with not very many people (until the huge Disney crowd arrived). The Disney crowd was so huge and looked miserable to us. It was just following the herd through the Baths and mostly waiting in a long line. Thankfully, by the time they got there, we were about ready to leave.
How exactly do you do that independently? Is there a ferry you can walk to from the ship? Do you need to take a taxi there? Do you pay cash or credit card?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd love to do this, and I really dislike being in a big excursion group.

I loves me my Keens, but I just got a pair of Swims for the first time, and like them a lot, too.

But yeah, generic water socks from Target with some lug to the sole will do just fine.

How exactly do you do that independently? Is there a ferry you can walk to from the ship? Do you need to take a taxi there? Do you pay cash or credit card?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd love to do this, and I really dislike being in a big excursion group.
There is a ferry terminal to the left of the cruise ship. I looked on Google Maps prior to our trip so I would know where it was, where to walk, how to get there, what it looked like, etc. It is not a long walk. It depends on who is in your group on how fast you can walk there. My daughter and I are fast walkers and did it in about 10 minutes. They supposedly take credit cards (I don't remember how we paid), but I've heard some people say that the CC machines are often down so be prepared with cash. It's currently $38/adult, $28/kid 5-11, $8/0-4 year old (according to Speedy's website). This includes round trip ferry and taxi on the Bath's side both ways. When you get to the Baths you will have to pay $3 per person CASH to enter the park.

There is a ferry terminal to the left of the cruise ship. I looked on Google Maps prior to our trip so I would know where it was, where to walk, how to get there, what it looked like, etc. It is not a long walk. It depends on who is in your group on how fast you can walk there. My daughter and I are fast walkers and did it in about 10 minutes. They supposedly take credit cards (I don't remember how we paid), but I've heard some people say that the CC machines are often down so be prepared with cash. It's currently $38/adult, $28/kid 5-11, $8/0-4 year old (according to Speedy's website). This includes round trip ferry and taxi on the Bath's side both ways. When you get to the Baths you will have to pay $3 per person CASH to enter the park.
Thank you! :daisy:

We had water shoes for all the family. Ordered a variety from Amazon. Well worth having for the trek through the water and boulders. Keens would be a great choice, but we opted for a cheaper option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter