Shoes for narrow feet

Tasmen

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm wondering if people have recommendations for ladies shoes that work great for narrow feet especially if your pronate. I've been using mizuno waverunners that are great or were. I seem to 'pack' out the shoes quickly and then we start to get all the loosy goosy movement again and shin splints (sometimes).

I do have some places locally I can go to get shoes to try out and return if they do not work out, but I want to have a general idea what brands/designs I should be looking for before I venture out there in the shoe wild yet again.

Asics Kayano 22's are pretty narrow, though they say M. I have worn them for a few years, got new 22's and they were even narrower in the toe box than the older versions. You may have to size up 1/2 - 1 size. Some reviewers complain that they are too narrow now that they have changed.
Also I have recently invested in Brooks Adrenaline 16 - not quite as narrow in the toe box as Asics, but still fit all right. I decided the more space will be good for marathon training, since my feet swell more around mile 16 or so. Your running store professionals should be able to pull out several brands that are appropriate for your feet, your form, and your distance that you can try on for comfort.

I have very narrow feet and have been liking my NEw Balance 860s. I always thought of NB as wide, but this style has worked well for me.

Oh man. I have the same issue. It's a struggle to find something that will work, and when I do, I feel like they immediately redesign it.

I used to run in the Asics GT-2000s until they changed them on me, but I did have the same shin splint issue after not very many miles in the shoe like you're describing too. I found the Kayano too narrow in the toe box and not narrow enough through the rest of my foot when I ordered one in a narrow width, but if your foot runs narrower in the toes and not super narrow throughout the rest of your foot, it may be a good option for you. I did like the cushioning in them. For a little while I tried wrenching too-wide stability shoes tight w/ the laces and wound up with a weird case of tendonitis on top of my foot. I don't recommend doing that!

On my last shoe hunt I ended up switching to a neutral shoe with a superfeet insert in order to find something narrow enough. I had tried on every stability shoe they had. The running store employee seemed a little hesitant about that move, but I've been running with that setup since late May and it has almost completely eliminated that occasional shin splint issue that I used to get. I also typically wear a pretty thick features sock that seems to help fill in the shoe a little and reduce movement. If your pronation issue is mild, that approach w/ insoles might open a few options for you.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Oh man. I have the same issue. It's a struggle to find something that will work, and when I do, I feel like they immediately redesign it.

I used to run in the Asics GT-2000s until they changed them on me, but I did have the same shin splint issue after not very many miles in the shoe like you're describing too. I found the Kayano too narrow in the toe box and not narrow enough through the rest of my foot when I ordered one in a narrow width, but if your foot runs narrower in the toes and not super narrow throughout the rest of your foot, it may be a good option for you. I did like the cushioning in them. For a little while I tried wrenching too-wide stability shoes tight w/ the laces and wound up with a weird case of tendonitis on top of my foot. I don't recommend doing that!

On my last shoe hunt I ended up switching to a neutral shoe with a superfeet insert in order to find something narrow enough. I had tried on every stability shoe they had. The running store employee seemed a little hesitant about that move, but I've been running with that setup since late May and it has almost completely eliminated that occasional shin splint issue that I used to get. I also typically wear a pretty thick features sock that seems to help fill in the shoe a little and reduce movement. If your pronation issue is mild, that approach w/ insoles might open a few options for you.

Good luck and happy shopping!

I also rolled my eyes at my mom and her narrow feet issues being all stubborn and going 'Oh I can wear regular shoes' and just doing it. I think /that/ has lead to my pronation issue now. BUT BUT.. the cute shoes!

Anyway, my main issue isn't the toe box but the heel and arch If I tie the shoe tight enough to feel like I have arch support, then after I run a bit, the shoe feels far too tight. But if I don't start with it tight, then shin splints happen.

I love the cushioning in the mizunos. Wave runners (at least the type I bought) have also been discontinued. I imagine they'll come out with a new design soon but new design = different fit as you said.

I guess I'm destined for another trip to the running store and being that person that returns shoes after a week (I did that before I found the Mizunos). I just hate being that person.

I have very narrow feet (heel more so than toes) and Saucony is the only brand I can wear. My mom pronates really bad and this brand also works well for her.

It's great to get suggestions but in general if you have a running store (or stores) that does fittings and/or analyzes your gait they will be able to recommend options that you may know about just from reading the boards. That's a huge part of their job. Also, with tying shoes, there are tons of ways to lace them that may help you obtain the benefits of arch support without the pain of having your shoes tied too tight.
aDnwI9q.jpg

There are more beyond this but it may give your a good start. The one labeled high instep is the one traditionally used for arch support but as you can see there is an option for a narrow forefoot.

I have narrow feet and probate. I've been wearing Asics gel-Kayano's for several years now and have been very happy with them. Asics also come in narrow if the regular width doesn't work.

I also lace my shoes like #2 in the post above. I think that helps keep my heel snug.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter