Shoes and water bottles!

For water bottles, we use the regular 16 oz plastic ones and refill at the water stations. We used to reusable ones like Hydroflasks but they're so heavy! Plastic recyclable ones work just fine, they're lighter in weight, pack easier, and you can freeze a bottle so you can have icy cold water throughout the day. Whenever we ate at a counter or table service restaurant, we would top off our water bottles there also.

We buy a pallet of water and take those bottles to the park. I know, not eco-friendly, but I give myself a pass for Disney. We each drink our own water bottle on the way to the park and while standing in the line at the gate then toss all but one to refill. Yes, we share. There are only three is us and sharing is caring.

Don't they still give a free cup of ice water at the quick service restaurants? In the past, we hardly had to refill our water bottles. We just used the free water cups and were fine.

For shoes, I always wore Crocs Cleo sandals and the guys wore tennis shoes. This year, I'm wearing tennis shoes with my bombas socks. I'm obsessed with bombas! I've had some 22,000 step days recently and the bombas saved me.

We buy a pallet of water and take those bottles to the park. I know, not eco-friendly, but I give myself a pass for Disney. We each drink our own water bottle on the way to the park and while standing in the line at the gate then toss all but one to refill. Yes, we share. There are only three is us and sharing is caring.
I used to share a water bottle with my kids at Disneyland and I'm super glad we don't do that anymore or we ALL would have gotten covid a couple weeks ago. Luckily I was the only one who got sick, my kids and husband stayed negative.

Bombas are the bomb. I just got my first pair and I'm buying SO many more!

I used to share a water bottle with my kids at Disneyland and I'm super glad we don't do that anymore or we ALL would have gotten covid a couple weeks ago. Luckily I was the only one who got sick, my kids and husband stayed negative.

Sorry you got covid! I hope you're feeling better now.

I am a recent Bombas convert lol, after that big post a couple months ago about socks. I wore them every day for our trip in May :)

We just had Covid so hopefully we won't have to worry about getting it again next month. We are pretty adept at pouring water into our mouths without touching our lips with the sport top bottle. But, yes, certainly something to think about. Covid is no fun.

I carried a waterbottle, but my daughter had a camelbak and I think she had the better idea. No issues bringing a bladder full of water into the park and getting ice water to refill the bladder. She had a small daypack style bag.

I also change out shoes in the middle of the day, it helps rejuvenate the feet.

Sorry you got covid! I hope you're feeling better now.

I am a recent Bombas convert lol, after that big post a couple months ago about socks. I wore them every day for our trip in May :)
I am, thank you! Fighting off a post covid sinus infection, but that's as bad as it got, thankfully!

We just had Covid so hopefully we won't have to worry about getting it again next month. We are pretty adept at pouring water into our mouths without touching our lips with the sport top bottle. But, yes, certainly something to think about. Covid is no fun.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I thought this was worth mentioning as a PSA in case anyone reading this was not aware: It is possible to get Covid more than once, just in case you thought it was like chickenpox or measles.

We now return to your regularly scheduled discussion of how to plan amazing, fantastic, wonderful trips to Disneyland.

For drinks, we use the carabiners that they sell in the parks (usually at pin stands)....they're Mickey head shaped, and are neoprene rubber. It slips over the opening of the bottle, and can be clipped onto most things (backpack, belt, etc).Carabiner.jpg

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I thought this was worth mentioning as a PSA in case anyone reading this was not aware: It is possible to get Covid more than once, just in case you thought it was like chickenpox or measles.

We now return to your regularly scheduled discussion of how to plan amazing, fantastic, wonderful trips to Disneyland.
I know. It's in the back of my mind. But, now that I've had it once and know what it feels like, I'm willing to risk it for a trip to DL. We haven't been since 2018.

I do not wear sandals at DLR because I have gotten my toes stepped on too many times. Sandals with the toes covered might be a good idea. If shoes are made of leather, be sure to have a second pair to wear the next day while the first pair dries out.

I do not wear sandals at DLR because I have gotten my toes stepped on too many times. Sandals with the toes covered might be a good idea. If shoes are made of leather, be sure to have a second pair to wear the next day while the first pair dries out.

I definitely wouldn't wear sandals. My sister did, and she learned the hard way not to do that again. Someone in a scooter ran over her foot in a shop (close quarters), then she ran over it again, trying to get out of the way. My sister was pretty much shot for the rest of the trip.

I definitely wouldn't wear sandals. My sister did, and she learned the hard way not to do that again. Someone in a scooter ran over her foot in a shop (close quarters), then she ran over it again, trying to get out of the way. My sister was pretty much shot for the rest of the trip.

Ouch! I'm not sure how much help it would be wearing sneakers if something like that were to happen, though. My sneakers are basically made of a mesh upper and would not provide any protection from a scooter rolling over my foot. That's sucky that it happened to your sister. You'd need steel toed boots to avoid an injury from something like that.

Although, I can share another reason why you shouldn't wear sandals. The fronts of them can get "caught" when stepping up a curb and you can faceplant in front of hundreds of people like I saw happen to a woman last month. She stepped up from Main Street onto the sidewalk, and her sandal toe basically tripped her up and she went down HARD. This happened in front of like 5 manager types standing in front of Guest Relations. I'm betting that lady has free admission for life now, the way they all ran over to make sure she was okay. She did NOT look okay.

My kids and I leave in just over a week, and I have questions about shoes and water bottles! :)

With all the walking and the summer heat, what tends to work better - good sneakers, or good sports sandals?

And kind of a strange question - how do people (especially kids) tend to carry their water bottles? I will have a backpack, with snacks, sunscreen, hats, and all the other stuff we will need for the day, but I would rather not carry three full water bottles - they are heavy! If I get my kids (age 12 & 13) to carry their own water bottles, are there water bottle carriers out there, or something else that would work, so that their hands are free...? I suppose maybe a small backpack...?

I long for the days when they were young enough for strollers - it sure was handy to store stuff in the bottom!

Thanks for any advice!

At your kids ages, _I_ would expect them to carry and keep up with their own water bottle....

When I have taken kids 12 & up, I tell them that I will buy/provide one bottle of water every day. If they lose it, it is their spending money to replace. I bring flavor packets and we refill the bottles often at water fountains.

As to the shoes, I feel good running shoes are a must for the heat an concrete. asics and sacony are quite affordable. IF you opt for sandals, remember to apply sunscreen to the tops of feet! Don't ask how I learned that lesson....

Yes, switching out helps your feet. It also allows the shoes to dry out and they will last longer and less chance of foot fungus.

We use water bottle strap carriers, sort of like this.
waterbottle.jpg

We put a backpack with sunscreen and any extra stuff we need into a locker so we don't lug it around all day in the heat. I use a fanny pack to hold my phone and other small things I need.

Here today (7/26) and it’s mid80s and 50% humidity. My daughter has work a nice pair of shoes and good socks (she often gets sore feet) and I’ve been rocking a pair of Teva flip-flops so wear what you think is best. We did both did take some ibuprofen before getting to the park and midday to help with general soreness.

I carried a water bottle in my back pack that my daughter and I shared and just got ice water from quick service to keep it full. A couple places (Pyms being on) have soda machines that can be accessed for ice and water. Also saw a few people wearing hydration backpacks. I know that Amazon have then for reasonable prices, just not sure how cool they keep the water.

We use water bottle strap carriers, sort of like this.
View attachment 688560

We put a backpack with sunscreen and any extra stuff we need into a locker so we don't lug it around all day in the heat. I use a fanny pack to hold my phone and other small things I need.

I wonder if they make carriers like this for more than one bottle. I always used to wear a backpack or sling bag, but because of a back injury I can’t anymore. At home I use small fanny pack now and if I need to carry anything, I use a reusable tote bag. I don’t want to walk around Disney though with a bag like that. My son has a cinch bag he can wear on his back which might solve the water bottle problem, but I wonder if there is as a double water bottle carrier, if that might work better.

My kids and I leave in just over a week, and I have questions about shoes and water bottles! :)

With all the walking and the summer heat, what tends to work better - good sneakers, or good sports sandals?

And kind of a strange question - how do people (especially kids) tend to carry their water bottles? I will have a backpack, with snacks, sunscreen, hats, and all the other stuff we will need for the day, but I would rather not carry three full water bottles - they are heavy! If I get my kids (age 12 & 13) to carry their own water bottles, are there water bottle carriers out there, or something else that would work, so that their hands are free...? I suppose maybe a small backpack...?

I long for the days when they were young enough for strollers - it sure was handy to store stuff in the bottom!

Thanks for any advice!
If you have to choose just one, go with sports sandals. I find sneakers too hot, and once they're wet, you're hooped. Also, you can wear sandals with socks if you need more coverage, or start to get sore in spots. Sandals can "become" shoes, but sneakers cannot become sandals - if that makes sense?

Look up collapsible water bottles/cups on amazon as well. Some of the styles squish down to almost nothing - they could easily fit in a pocket.

I wonder if they make carriers like this for more than one bottle. I always used to wear a backpack or sling bag, but because of a back injury I can’t anymore. At home I use small fanny pack now and if I need to carry anything, I use a reusable tote bag. I don’t want to walk around Disney though with a bag like that. My son has a cinch bag he can wear on his back which might solve the water bottle problem, but I wonder if there is as a double water bottle carrier, if that might work better.
They have 2 bottle hydration belts, some with just the water bottles and some with a fanny pack in the middle.
A lot if runners use the 2 bottle system, one with just water and one with electrolyte drink.
Those all go around waist though. I haven't seen a cross boat holder with two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter