Ship #6

JOY K

Earning My Ears
I know Disney wants all of the DCL fans focused on the Wish. Belive me I am obsessed and can't wait to get onboard. What about the next ship though? We have been looking forward to the Wish for so long. Is there any way another ship is going to be ready in 2024 if we have not heard a peep about it. Will it be pushed further back to 2025? Are ship 6 and 7 being scrapped for now? If they sail, where will they home port? What kind of itineraries might they have? Is the new island still going to happen? Will one of the new ships go there? If you know facts please share, but wild speculation is also welcome.

Ships 6 and 7, Disney did say at the christening ceremony that two more ships are indeed coming. Now, the current global geopolitical and economic situation could sure slow things down... but for now, all is good. Speculation at this time is that some announcement about ship #6 could be made at the D23 Expo in September or at a future investor's day. Disney also said that the new island is forthcoming as part of the Wish ceremony. With the Fall 2023 itinerary announcement (expected soon), we should have an idea of where some ships might be headed... It is expected that one classic ship will likely call Port Everglade as its new homeport for a while as DCL's Port Everglades terminal is readied for a Dream class ship. There has been rumours in another thread that a ship (likely the Wonder) might be spending some time in Australia at some point. Ship #6 is likely to overtake the Fantasy at Port Canaveral once it materializes, with the Fantasy redeployed somewhere else.

Is the new island still going to happen?
Currently under construction. From Inside the Magic 5/9/2022

Now, there is an exciting update about progress at the Lighthouse Point site. A new report notes that Disney recently more than doubled the number of construction jobs the $400 million project will offer, which is exciting news for Bahamian workers.

Per the article:

Joey Gaskins, Disney Cruise Line’s Regional Public Affairs Director for The Bahamas and Caribbean addressing the Eleuthera Business Outlook yesterday.
Gaskins said: “We are actually looking at 300 construction jobs, more than double what we had promised.” Gaskins noted that the company had promised 120 construction jobs on the project, with an overall ratio of 80 percent Bahamians over the construction period.

6 will take over the Fantasy's itineraries from PC.
7 is a wild card but if DCL sticks to pattern, it will be based out of the US so probably FL. If I recall correctly, they were in talks with either Port Everglades or Miami to establish a terminal there.

7 is a wild card but if DCL sticks to pattern, it will be based out of the US so probably FL. If I recall correctly, they were in talks with either Port Everglades or Miami to establish a terminal there.

IIRC unless something has changed recently Port Canaveral is the only US port with LNG, if that's still the case upon delivery of #7 it will have to be based out of PC.

IIRC unless something has changed recently Port Canaveral is the only US port with LNG, if that's still the case upon delivery of #7 it will have to be based out of PC.
Yeah, but it's not likely that Disney is going to keep all three of the new ships at PC. Either some other US ports add LNG refueling capabilities or one of the ships will be based in a foreign port. Probably the former, though.

Or ship 6 will take over for the Wish, while the Wish takes over the Fantasy's week-long sailings. So many people can't wait to sail the Wish that I suspect that Disney expects the same with ship 6. So let ship 6 do the twice-weekly trips to meet that demand.

Or ship 6 will take over for the Wish, while the Wish takes over the Fantasy's week-long sailings. So many people can't wait to sail the Wish that I suspect that Disney expects the same with ship 6. So let ship 6 do the twice-weekly trips to meet that demand.
Not saying they wouldn't, but you could also justify it by thinking now that folks have been listening to rave (tbd) reviews of the Wish for a couple years, they're willing to take the plunge on a longer (and more expensive) cruise on the next new ship. The only way to sail her is to plunk down the money for 7+ nights!

It was the first cruise port with LNG, but probably not the only port. There are many LNG ships out there. Since they fuel off of a barge the port location is not really an issue.

Since 2010 the number of vessels fuelled by LNG has grown consistently by between 20% and 40% per annum. At the start of 2020 there are 175 LNG-fuelled ships in operation.

As already said, not saying they wouldn't but that is not their pattern to date. First new ship replaces 3/4 older ship, second new ship replaces 7 older ship.

As already said, not saying they wouldn't but that is not their pattern to date. First new ship replaces 3/4 older ship, second new ship replaces 7 older ship.
I spent way too much time doing this, but:

Magic started with 3/4 night Bahamas, and so did Wonder (crazy that for a few years, those were the only options!). Then eventually Wonder did the 3/4 while Magic did the longer sailings. (there were of course some special sailings but this was the schedule for the majority of the time)

When the Dream came in, she took over the Wonder, who went out West. When the Fantasy came in, she took over the Magic sailings from PC, giving the Magic and Wonder flexibility with new ports.

Now the Wish takes over the Dream, who is being moved to Miami/Barcelona. One would then assume the Fantasy will be taken out of PC once Ship #6 is in. My guess is she goes to Ft. Lauderdale full time or splits time with New York or Europe in the summer.

I just saw a report that Lighthouse Point will be opening in 2024 or 2025 - and will be the destination for the Wish. I’ll do a search to find where I got that info. (saw it sometime this week).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts