• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

shin splints

I was just coming over here to post something similar, so this was all very timely.

However, I get something that is like shin splints but lower -- like on the tops of the ankles. Anyone else get this? I was fitted at a running specialty store and I have started with the RICE, but just curious if this is a common thing or not.

I started doing stretches that a PT gave me. It made a world of difference. I also have ankle pain but my shins were much worse. I enjoy Cool Runnings website. I get a lot of info from there. I'm also a fan of them on facebook and that allows me to interact with other runs and ask questions.

When I was a dancer, shin splints used to be a real problem for me. There was one studio we took classes in that had a cement floor. We were in there 15 hours a week! Just standing on that surface can cause problems. I try to wear some sort of inside/house slipper with some support now because of that.
As for tips:
The trainer would fill up a knee deep bucket with ice and have us put our legs in. It was so cold! But you know, it worked.

Also at night, I would rub Ben Gay on my shins and then wrap them. In the morning my legs felt so much better.

Good Luck, I hope you are back to full strength soon...

When I was a dancer, shin splints used to be a real problem for me. There was one studio we took classes in that had a cement floor. We were in there 15 hours a week! Just standing on that surface can cause problems. I try to wear some sort of inside/house slipper with some support now because of that.
As for tips:
The trainer would fill up a knee deep bucket with ice and have us put our legs in. It was so cold! But you know, it worked.

Also at night, I would rub Ben Gay on my shins and then wrap them. In the morning my legs felt so much better.

Good Luck, I hope you are back to full strength soon...
I never thought about the ben gay and then wrap at night. I might have to try that. I spend my entire day on my feet (other than apx 1.5 hrs in the afternoon). We don't allow shoes on our carpet. Therefore during the day I'm in socks or bare foot. I wonder if I need to find some type of shoe or inside slipper that I could wear. Maybe that would help.
I need to find outdoor running shoes now so I'll be going through breaking in new shoes now. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter