She's STILL too young to go! Christmas w/a 17mo! UPDATE 2/5!

Oh I hope it helps! You have a while to prepare. It's just you and your family this time right? No sisters or anything?

Oh I hope it helps! You have a while to prepare. It's just you and your family this time right? No sisters or anything?

:lmao:Nope, no sisters! Just me and the 3 kids. I'm trying to talk dh into coming for a few days at the beginning or end, but I'm not holding my breath...:headache:

Hello! I found just as this is ending. We went a few weeks earlier than you did with our 16 month old and our stories sound just far too similar! We had the very ssame meal at 50s Prime Time. It was UGLY. We had the additional problem of having two older ones along who wanted to do much more so it was a constant juggling act to keep everyone happy. Plus, the boys were REALLY into meeting characters and Aileen hated it. We had a great time, but as my hubby just said to me, "Aileen was not the highlight of the trip." :rotfl:

Just read both your trip reports, so interesting to see a totally different view of Disney to what myself and OH see, as we don't have kids!!

:lmao:Nope, no sisters! Just me and the 3 kids. I'm trying to talk dh into coming for a few days at the beginning or end, but I'm not holding my breath...:headache:

You'll probably have more fun without him! :thumbsup2

Hello! I found just as this is ending. We went a few weeks earlier than you did with our 16 month old and our stories sound just far too similar! We had the very ssame meal at 50s Prime Time. It was UGLY. We had the additional problem of having two older ones along who wanted to do much more so it was a constant juggling act to keep everyone happy. Plus, the boys were REALLY into meeting characters and Aileen hated it. We had a great time, but as my hubby just said to me, "Aileen was not the highlight of the trip." :rotfl:

That's a great quote! :rotfl: Luckily meals were really our only struggle. She did so well with everything else.

Just read both your trip reports, so interesting to see a totally different view of Disney to what myself and OH see, as we don't have kids!!

It really is amazing. Pre-Lily I was all about what we were going to ride next and making sure we got to do the coasters and thrill stuff. Now we don't do any of that. You know when the ride you go on the most changes from Space Mountain to the Seas with Nemo that something big has changed!! :thumbsup2

Power reading both of your trip reports and loving it! Thank you for all of the great ideas. My DH and I have gone to disney many times pre-kids, but our upcoming trip will be our son's first. He will be 20 months during our vacation. (I think his b-day must be close to your DD.) We will also be traveling with our friends (Disney newbies) and their toddler too.

Power reading both of your trip reports and loving it! Thank you for all of the great ideas. My DH and I have gone to disney many times pre-kids, but our upcoming trip will be our son's first. He will be 20 months during our vacation. (I think his b-day must be close to your DD.) We will also be traveling with our friends (Disney newbies) and their toddler too.

Oooh! That sounds like fun! I hope you have an awesome time!

I'm finished writing the last update, but it has no pictures so I'm trying to get some more downloaded before I post.

This Is my attempt to get a picture of Lily’s dress that was made for her by a fellow Diser from the moms thread. The photopass pics of it came out better. (Thank you Adi!)

You are quiet welcome - so glad you liked it as much as you did.

Will you be posting any of the photopass pictures? :thumbsup2

I don't want to hijack your TR - but I just wanted to post a slightly different experience.

We had an easier time with Isabel as a walker than as a crawler, solely because we could let her down to walk around whereas we could only let her crawl in the room. Getting her back in the stroller was maybe a teeny bit harder if she really wanted to keep walking, but not so much so once we started moving.

Also - we go out to eat pretty often (its what we do with my in-laws at least twice a month) - so we've gotten to the point where I think I can share a couple tips for those reading along that are concerned:
- Order food for your toddler with your drinks and tell them to bring it out ASAP.
- Put something yummier than water in the sippy - watered down apple juice, lemonade, whatever your kiddo likes. We don't give her juice at home, but if we are out, we do. (We also bought one of those tethers - so even if she throws it it won't land on the ground)
- She no longer keeps the tiny diner down either - so I bring lysol wipes and wipe the table (I'm a bit of a germaphobe)
- I try and bring a small toy she likes.

This helped us at all the table services we did on our December trip - and there were A LOT because we did the deluxe plan (lots of two credit places). It wasn't fool proof - when all else failed we have iPhones, so we'd play Mickey!

You are quiet welcome - so glad you liked it as much as you did.
Will you be posting any of the photopass pictures? :thumbsup2

As soon as I get it, I'll post! Should be soon!

I don't want to hijack your TR - but I just wanted to post a slightly different experience.

We had an easier time with Isabel as a walker than as a crawler, solely because we could let her down to walk around whereas we could only let her crawl in the room. Getting her back in the stroller was maybe a teeny bit harder if she really wanted to keep walking, but not so much so once we started moving.

Also - we go out to eat pretty often (its what we do with my in-laws at least twice a month) - so we've gotten to the point where I think I can share a couple tips for those reading along that are concerned:
- Order food for your toddler with your drinks and tell them to bring it out ASAP.
- Put something yummier than water in the sippy - watered down apple juice, lemonade, whatever your kiddo likes. We don't give her juice at home, but if we are out, we do. (We also bought one of those tethers - so even if she throws it it won't land on the ground)
- She no longer keeps the tiny diner down either - so I bring lysol wipes and wipe the table (I'm a bit of a germaphobe)
- I try and bring a small toy she likes.

This helped us at all the table services we did on our December trip - and there were A LOT because we did the deluxe plan (lots of two credit places). It wasn't fool proof - when all else failed we have iPhones, so we'd play Mickey!

Thanks for the perspective. A smartphone would have been a lifesaver. We did try apple juice in the sippy, and it worked for one meal, but she only wanted the kids cup after that. I wipe down the table too, so don't feel bad. Sometimes I wipe down the high chair too!

Alright lets finish this. I was holding out for more pictures, but I want to wrap this up. I should have my photopass CD any day and then I can add those.

December 24

This morning we had a 9:15 ADR at the Cape May Café. It’s a character breakfast with Donald, Minnie, and Goofy in their beach gear. We woke up and were ready to go around 8, so I decided we’d just head over early and hope for the best. We got everything packed into the car and drove over to the Beach club. We had originally planned to walk over, but I was done walking at this point! Plus we’d get on the road a lot sooner by driving over. Luckily the trip to the Poly had given my DH more confidence, so he agreed and we bid the beautiful, but loud Boardwalk adieu.

We got to the Beach Club and checked in with no problems. I took some pictures of the very cool gingerbread carousel. (Somehow, I don’t have any pictures of this morning uploaded. Sorry! I’ll try to add some later) We were seated right away and the table next to us started gushing about how amazing our server was. She was nice, but I think they must have nearly had her to themselves, because we barely saw her. You could tell that she was very good and friendly, but the restaurant went from just opened to very full while we were there and she was busy.

Anyway, we had another case of Lily freaking out that I was going to leave her, so DH got my food for me. I think part of the appeal of eating at a buffet is looking at everything you could have, but not eating it, so I missed that here. I did manage to get my first plate, but it was clear that Lily would absolutely die if I left her again. So the food was good. The characters were okay. Lily wasn’t as excited as she had been at the other meals at first, but she warmed up to it after it was clear that I wasn’t going anywhere.

We polished off our food and hit the road. There’s not much to report about the return trip. We stopped in Rock Hill, SC like we did on the August trip. This time we stayed at the Hampton Inn, which is right next to the Holiday Inn we had stayed at before. The room wasn’t quite as nice, but it was $30 cheaper and included free breakfast with fresh waffles! Yum! A big snow storm was supposedly coming through that night, but by the time we got where it hit, the roads were totally clear. Driving through the mountains with the snow on the evergreens was so beautiful. The roads were mainly empty of fellow travelers on both days and we only got snowed on a tiny bit. We made it home safe and sound and celebrated Christmas the next day with our family.

Overall thoughts and a few other things:

1. We ended up spending almost all of our snack credits on fudge from the Boardwalk. I gifted some of it to my mom who loves fudge. It was nice, but another example of us not needing the dining plan.

2. We will never, ever, ever drive through the mountains at night. OH, SC, NC, GA & FL are fine, but never ever VA or WV EVER!

3. We will likely never return in December (at least until we’re retired). If DH wasn’t a teacher, I wouldn’t make this statement, but there’s no way we’ll be going the week between Christmas and NY.

4. If we ever do go again in the winter, we’re not driving. Weather is just too big a factor and when you drive that distance over the course of 4 total days, you’re just asking for trouble. Of course, we didn’t really hit any trouble at all, but I wouldn’t take the chance again.

5. Christmas at Disney is really great, but it’s not Christmas at home. Trying to be ready for a vacation and Christmas at the same time is too much. I would totally tell everyone to try it once, but I wouldn’t do it again.

6. I thought for sure I would walk away from this trip preferring Christmas time to our normal August trip, but I don’t. They kind of break even for me. The crowds were pretty similar. I really missed being able to swim whenever. I won’t take that for granted anymore. I loved not worrying about DD and heat stroke or just being too hot in general, but I hated worrying about her being too cold. I’d rather worry about cold for sure, but it really isn’t pleasant to park tour when it’s as cold as it was. Still better than 90+ with crazy humidity, yes! But not better enough!

7. We’re tired! It took me a lot longer to bounce back from this trip.

8. We’re done with Disney World for a while. I know I say this every year, but I feel it more than ever. It’s so much harder to tour with a third member. It’s also more wonderful. DH really wants to wait until Lily is at least 4 (more like 6, but that’s not going to happen!) I wouldn’t trade these 2 trips for anything (well, except maybe a DVC membership!) I have wonderful memories and great photos. Lily still gets excited every time she sees the castle and I can’t wait to take her back when she’s in full princess mode. If we lived closer or had more money, we’d be going every year. At this point, I’ll be satisfied to save up for our next trip and explore the world closer to home.

I hope I’ve helped you plan for your own trips, and I wish you many happy days with your little ones at WDW!

I got my photopass CD & uploaded a bunch to FB. SO if we're friends, you can check them out. I'll try to get some added on here tonight!

I just saw this thread and I wanted to say that Lily is adorable! :love:

I am taking my son for his 1st trip in March. He will be almost 17 months and your TR really helped me! I am sooo excited and nervous at the same time. I will be sure to go with the flow. I appreciate all your tips and suggestions. :thumbsup2

I saw them... They came out great :thumbsup2
Thanks!
I just saw this thread and I wanted to say that Lily is adorable! :love:

I am taking my son for his 1st trip in March. He will be almost 17 months and your TR really helped me! I am sooo excited and nervous at the same time. I will be sure to go with the flow. I appreciate all your tips and suggestions. :thumbsup2

Thank you! You're going to have an amazing time! Enjoy it! :thumbsup2

Great TR, your DD is beautiful and I enjoyed looking at all the photos.
Thank you!

I'm going to attempt to go back and put photos in the thread for those that haven't read it all. I'll just add a few posts at the end so everyone who has read it doesn't have to read back through.

I'm so glad I came across your trip report. I had gotten a PIN code back in November that got me excited about going back to WDW. I booked a trip for the first week of June. DD will be 19 months at that time and DS will be 6. I had all these wonderful thoughts of how DD would love the rides and the characters. But then as time went on and she began to really toddle around and develop her own little personality and attitude, my day dreams of this trip turned to tantrums and meltdowns. I started to really think this trip would be more work than I was ready to do. I mentioned my concerns to DH and he immediately said, "Cancel the trip. There will be plenty of opportunities to go." I cancelled the trip, but now I've doubted that decision! Your TR has confirmed for me that I made the right decision. While it seems you had some really great moments, it appears that it was hard work and frustrating at times. Thanks for posting the TR. Your daughter is really adorable!

I'm glad I made you feel better!

I gotta say though, it's so much about timing and your child. Everyone is so different. Lily is 19 months now and she is the sweetest, funniest little angel. She's great at restuarants and is totally IN LOVE with Mickey again. Of course, her meltdowns are more dramatic and louder, but hey, can't have it all.

I'm so happy we went and had a wonderful time, and I would never tell anyone not to go with a little one, especially without other children to consider. If we lived closer, we'd be going again. I just can't stand another miserably hot summer trip with a toddler.

And I will get my photopass pictures loaded!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter