She's Saying Aloha, an April 2022 Oahu and Aulani Trip Report (Completed 7/7)

Allie's posing holding the purple can of tea reminded me of a Disney Magic Shot, except you didn't have to PhotoShop in the tea can!

You mentioned how it was special for the kids to play in the ocean. Since you live rather far inland in CA, is it rare for you to get over to CA beaches?

Allie's posing holding the purple can of tea reminded me of a Disney Magic Shot, except you didn't have to PhotoShop in the tea can!

You mentioned how it was special for the kids to play in the ocean. Since you live rather far inland in CA, is it rare for you to get over to CA beaches?
Lol, yep, actual Magic Shots from the ABC store.

We live about an hour from the beaches in So Cal, but it just isn’t something we do much at all. Marshall hadn’t swam in the ocean at all before this trip. We do go further inland to the Colorado River and play on the water, just not the ocean.

Yay! I am so happy I found your Hawaii trip report! I read and love all of your wdw trip reports.
Welcome! We are glad you are here for something new and a little different. We weren’t sure how we’d write about this one, but covering it like a Disney trip day by day seems to work. We hope you enjoy it.

On Wednesday, we all woke up early since we were still used to California time. Since it was Kathy's wedding day (and Allie spent the night in her room) we got up and started getting ready and Melissa went to help Kathy.

Paul went to go get food for us, even though the hotel had free breakfast we were looking for something a little better.

We like McDonalds for breakfast, and there was one just down the street. On the way, I took some morning pictures.

The restaurant opened at 7 AM and I was there shortly after.

I was prepared for insanely high prices, since it was just across the street from the beach and in Hawaii, but actually it wound up being no more expensive than at home. I grabbed some food for Kathy too, then headed back to the hotel.

We spent the morning helping Kathy and getting the 4 of us spiffy’d up for a wedding.

Once we as dressed up as we were going to get for a beach wedding, Marshall and I went out to explore the hotel. We saw Steve and Lorie's room, which was in the other tower and had a decent water view. We also checked out the free breakfast area, which was by the rooftop pool on the third floor.

The pool was small for a big hotel, but it was clear that most guests did their swimming at the beach.

I got some cute pictures of the kids all dressed up.

We all met up in the lobby before heading to the wedding location.

Kathy arranged for 3 limos to take everyone to the beach so we didn’t have to shuffle cars and everyone would be on time. It was a super smart idea.

It really was perfect, and the type of detail that would have been easy to overlook but it made it come together perfectly, just like Kathy specializes in.

The drive up to Sandy Beach was beautiful. Poor Kathy, the week before the wedding they closed the beach she was going to get married on to commercial activity so she had to choose a new spot last minute. I think it was a blessing because the new beach was gorgeous.

It meant that we all got to see more of thre island together, without worrying about where to go in our own cars. It had to be a logistical nightmare. Fortunately the new location was quite nice, with a little bit of sand, beautiful rocks, and large visible waves.

Marshall loved the limo ride, and told everyone that it was his SECOND time in a limo.

He was even happier when he learned that we got to go back to the hotel in the limo too.

That would make it his third time in a limo, a total he shares with anyone who will listen.

The ceremony was very nice, and the local officient and photographer worked very well together. It went quickly, and then there was plenty of time for all of us to take photos on the beach.

After we all took a bajillion pictures and soaked up the beach it was time to head back. Marshall played herding dog and ran around to round every one up.

We piled back into the limos to head back to the hotel.

We got to see the Hawaii Kai area of the island on our way back to thehotel, which looked really cool with the houses right on the water.

It was a beautiful wedding and a beautiful day. Once we were back at the hotel though we were all starving. We headed up to the room to change out of our nice clothes and then met Steve and Lorie back in the lobby to go find some lunch.

In true WDW fashion, we headed for Wolfgang Puck Express, which was conveniently located at the hotel down the street form ours on the way to the beach.

I’m 90% sure I got the pulled pork sandwich.

I went with the Hawaiian Burger (which had pineapple on it) and Allie chose that too.

Marshall went with chicken strips and fries.

We were so hungry we didn’t really get many pictures. We did make friends with the neighborhood wildlife.

It wasn't as nice or fancy as the WPE at Downtown Disney, but was a decent meal with a view of the beach. It was pretty expensive for what we got, but that was to be expected. We did get to watch the random birds on the patio as we ate.

As we finished eating we saw Kathy and Greg, who were on their way to the beach for a bit. We were all happy for them, and were excited to get to share in their perfect day.

Check out the rest of the wedding day, and a Luau reception in the next update.

Hi Everyone! We’re ready to kick off something a little different.

We just got back from our first ever trip to Hawaii, and yes we checked out Aulani, so you have that to look forward to, but first we have a few days at a different resort in Waikiki.

It was an amazing trip, and we can’t wait to share it with everyone!

We decided to cover all of it, because the things we did could be done from Aulani as well, and it all came together to make one awesome trip.

We gotta start with the why we went to Hawaii in the first place I think. It’s been somewhere that’s been on my list to visit but Paul was never really interested.

t just wasn’t anything I really wanted to do when we could go to Disney instead. Aulani had appeal, but I didn’t want to spend our points on it instead of a WDW trip.

So I convinced my bestie that she needed to get married in Hawaii.

And since she runs the office with Melissa I volunteered to stay home and help at work. Since that wouldn’t be a fun family vacation though she lured me onto the trip by renting points for Aulani so we got to experience it in addition to WDW this year.

I also had to rent a Jeep for the whole trip and book an ATV tour.

Those were just extras that made it so neat once we all were going. I did absolutely love the Jeep though, but we’ll get to that.

So lets get into the who what when where’s...

In case you don't know us, I’m Paul a 42 year old Mechanical Engineer and aspiring elevator mechanic, and just like for our WDW trip reports I’ll be writing in blue.

I’m Melissa, I do all sorts of things at the elevator company and am mom to our two amazing kiddos. I’ll be in orange.

This is Allie, she’s 12 and in 6th grade! She was super excited about this trip and had a LOT of fun.

And this is Marshall, our now six year old son who is very active and up for about anything. He would argue that he is actually the bride’s best friend, since they spend a lot of time together at work.

We’ve got a couple of extra characters we should briefly introduce because they’ll make an appearance early in this report. First off is Kathy and Greg, the newlyweds.

Kathy has worked for me for several years now and is my right hand at work and best friend out of work. She’s amazing and I’m so happy she has such a sweet guy as her husband.

Also joining in were Melissa’s Aunt Lorie and Uncle Steve.

Lorie is the CFO of the elevator business and works closely with Kathy and Melissa and was in on the planning as well. Steve is a cool guy and a private pilot who got to take a week off to join in.

Kathy and Greg also had their families and friends there so you’ll see a sprinkling of them too.

Now with The Who and Why’s covered, let’s get to the “Where”. The wedding was based from the Hyatt Place hotel near Waikiki on Oahu.

We figured that despite being on the same island, we didn’t want to have to commute from Aulani for the wedding so we started our trip staying at the Hyatt. This was a practical decision for the wedding, but actually wound up being a neat pairing with Aulani.

We flew in on April 26th and then moved to Aulani on the 29th and then flew home on the May 2nd.

It was a very busy 6 days but we were able to do a lot of cool stuff which we’ll share here.

Join us as we explore Hawaii for the first time.
I’m so happy I found this trip report! Can’t wait to read all about it!

On Wednesday, we all woke up early since we were still used to California time. Since it was Kathy's wedding day (and Allie spent the night in her room) we got up and started getting ready and Melissa went to help Kathy.

Paul went to go get food for us, even though the hotel had free breakfast we were looking for something a little better.

We like McDonalds for breakfast, and there was one just down the street. On the way, I took some morning pictures.

The restaurant opened at 7 AM and I was there shortly after.

I was prepared for insanely high prices, since it was just across the street from the beach and in Hawaii, but actually it wound up being no more expensive than at home. I grabbed some food for Kathy too, then headed back to the hotel.

We spent the morning helping Kathy and getting the 4 of us spiffy’d up for a wedding.

Once we as dressed up as we were going to get for a beach wedding, Marshall and I went out to explore the hotel. We saw Steve and Lorie's room, which was in the other tower and had a decent water view. We also checked out the free breakfast area, which was by the rooftop pool on the third floor.

The pool was small for a big hotel, but it was clear that most guests did their swimming at the beach.

I got some cute pictures of the kids all dressed up.

We all met up in the lobby before heading to the wedding location.

Kathy arranged for 3 limos to take everyone to the beach so we didn’t have to shuffle cars and everyone would be on time. It was a super smart idea.

It really was perfect, and the type of detail that would have been easy to overlook but it made it come together perfectly, just like Kathy specializes in.

The drive up to Sandy Beach was beautiful. Poor Kathy, the week before the wedding they closed the beach she was going to get married on to commercial activity so she had to choose a new spot last minute. I think it was a blessing because the new beach was gorgeous.

It meant that we all got to see more of thre island together, without worrying about where to go in our own cars. It had to be a logistical nightmare. Fortunately the new location was quite nice, with a little bit of sand, beautiful rocks, and large visible waves.

Marshall loved the limo ride, and told everyone that it was his SECOND time in a limo.

He was even happier when he learned that we got to go back to the hotel in the limo too.

That would make it his third time in a limo, a total he shares with anyone who will listen.

The ceremony was very nice, and the local officient and photographer worked very well together. It went quickly, and then there was plenty of time for all of us to take photos on the beach.

After we all took a bajillion pictures and soaked up the beach it was time to head back. Marshall played herding dog and ran around to round every one up.

We piled back into the limos to head back to the hotel.

We got to see the Hawaii Kai area of the island on our way back to thehotel, which looked really cool with the houses right on the water.

It was a beautiful wedding and a beautiful day. Once we were back at the hotel though we were all starving. We headed up to the room to change out of our nice clothes and then met Steve and Lorie back in the lobby to go find some lunch.

In true WDW fashion, we headed for Wolfgang Puck Express, which was conveniently located at the hotel down the street form ours on the way to the beach.

I’m 90% sure I got the pulled pork sandwich.

I went with the Hawaiian Burger (which had pineapple on it) and Allie chose that too.

Marshall went with chicken strips and fries.

We were so hungry we didn’t really get many pictures. We did make friends with the neighborhood wildlife.

It wasn't as nice or fancy as the WPE at Downtown Disney, but was a decent meal with a view of the beach. It was pretty expensive for what we got, but that was to be expected. We did get to watch the random birds on the patio as we ate.

As we finished eating we saw Kathy and Greg, who were on their way to the beach for a bit. We were all happy for them, and were excited to get to share in their perfect day.

Check out the rest of the wedding day, and a Luau reception in the next update.
Beautiful photos! Looked like a gorgeous wedding!

The wedding was lovely. I think the rocky beach was even better than a sandy beach. The family pictures are really nice and the kids seemed to enjoy themselves. :)

I was surprised that you all preferred McDonalds breakfast over the Hyatt's breakfast. Aren't Hyatt breakfasts usually pretty good? Did this Hyatt have less variety of food than most?

What a beautiful wedding!!! Congratulations to Kathy and Greg!

OP-you have a beautiful family!
Thanks, it was a beautiful wedding venue, and Kathy is the only person I know who could pull off planning something like that from so far away.

Thanks so much, we clean up cute...
I’m so happy I found this trip report! Can’t wait to read all about it!
We're glad you found it too and took the time to say hello. It is different than most of our WDW trips, but we had a great time.

Beautiful photos! Looked like a gorgeous wedding!
Thanks! We were not the official wedding photographers for this one since Kathy and Greg wanted us to be able to enjoy the event, but we still got to take some fun shots after the ceremony.

During my visit to Hawaii in 2018, The ABC stores had a loyalty program. In four days, we had enough points for a free Hawaii souvenir mug.

-Paul
Yes, we saw the signs for the reward program and at first thought there was no chance we'd spend enough to get a free gift. At $100 in total receipts we could have gotten a calendar, and the items got nicer from there. They definitely get you with quantity...

Me too—I ended up with several free reusable tote bags 👍
We bought a few of the reusable bags, and they are fun to use at home now to remind us of the trip. We didn't wind up saving our receipts for the calendar or other gifts, but the totals did add up over a few days, especially the three nights in Waikiki with no fewer than four ABC stores within a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

The wedding was lovely. I think the rocky beach was even better than a sandy beach. The family pictures are really nice and the kids seemed to enjoy themselves. :)
It was a great wedding, and served as great motivation to get us to Hawaii for a great trip. It was so well put together that we got to see different parts of the island through the wedding events.

I was surprised that you all preferred McDonalds breakfast over the Hyatt's breakfast. Aren't Hyatt breakfasts usually pretty good? Did this Hyatt have less variety of food than most?
The Hyatt place breakfast was ok, but not anywhere near exceptional. We are not huge buffet fans, and buffet eggs aren't happening for us. They did have unique items each day, and on this day it was Jimmy Dean sausage sandwiches, which we do have at home but seemed quite strange to have in a buffet setting. The McDonalds breakfast items were good and consistent, and we all agreed were better than the hotel buffet would have been. On the next day we did the hotel breakfast though, so we will share that as well.

After lunch we stopped at the ABC store again to pick up some lotion and another Boba in a can for Allie. This time she tried Matcha which I think ended up being her favorite.

They were all different and yet pretty good.

We got back to the room and still had a couple of hours before we had to meet for the luau reception, so we decided it was time for a cruise. We walked to the parking garage and hopped in the Jeep for some exploring.

We drove North West along the coast and drove by the International Market and then up to the port.

Marshall really enjoyed seeing all the container ships.

We looped through Ala Moana Park, a park that was near the waterfront as we headed back towards Waikiki.

Overall it was very much a downtown area of a big city, which was much busier than we expected.

We headed back to the hotel and got ready for the luau. Kathy’s mom uses a wheelchair so Kathy had arranged for a private minibus to take us all over to the Ka Moana Luau which is at the Sea Life Park.

This is on the Southern end of the island, but again it was great to have transportation pre-arranged for us. We walked out to the street in fornt of the hotel where lots of different tour buses picked up and dropped people off. Ours soon arrived, and after a little work on the safety switch of the wheelchair lift (it is very much like an elevator...) we loaded up the bus and headed towards the luau.

The bus took a slightly different route than the limos had, following the coastline South from Waikiki into a nice residential area past Diamond Head.

On the way we looked up local real estate. Zillow surfing is a hobby of mine.

It was fascinating to see what some of the houses were listed for. It reminded me of the high cost beach areas in Southern California.

It really seemed comparable to Southern California beach areas but the houses are way more unique.

It still fascinates me that the whole thing is on an island in the middle of the Pacific. We then met back up with the route we took to the wedding, and passed through Hawaii Kai and then past Sandy Beach where the wedding had been. After that we were in new territory, and it was really pretty.

The rocky shorline was spectacular. We were still getting introduced to Oahu and it was just stunning.

It was totally different than the busy city area we had visited earlier in the afternoon. This was much more rugged and natural, and we could see islands off in the distance.

We were Luau VIP’s so we were able to get priority seating and real flower Lei’s.

It was a pretty fun experience.

It was another first class aspect of the wedding. Instead of a traditional reception, we got to sit right up front for a quality luau. We had a big table entirely for the wedding group, with Kathy and Greg right up by the stage.

The Luau was great and Marshall got really into it.

I guess he had been previewing it on YouTube videos with Kathy. He knew what to expect, and was really excited. Soon after we arrived we were able to go get food. They set up a nice buffet with lots of Hawaiian food items.

The food was great! My favorite was the kalua pork.

I had heard about Poi, and was able to try some. It was actually quite good, and reminded me of applesauce. The pork was great, and I enjoyed everything I had.

It was so much fun and I would highly recommend this luau.

We wanted to do a luau as one of our Hawaii bucket list items, and this one was perfect. Once we had our food the "show" started and we got to see performances from many different polynesian islands. It seemed quite informative, learning something unique about each island. Marshall and I really enjoyed cousin Jerry, who was from Samoa and made some pretty darn funny jokes to keep it light and fun.

Allie enjoyed it too although I think we traumatized her when we all got up for hula lessons.

Despite her many years of dance classes, she refused to participate in such shenanigans.

As predicted the fire eating was a highlight of the show, and Marshall really enjoyed it.

After the show was over he got his picture taken with the performer, who he told he had seen on YouTube.

We all had a great time.

At the end of the night the same bus driver picked us up to take us home.

The bus ride was nice, and we got to see the island at night.

At this point we were really glad we didn’t have to move out the next day. I had decided to stay one more day at the Hyatt before moving up to Aulani.

I wasn't sure of that plan in the begining, but it worked out great. We were in no hurry to do anything, so we were able to relax and go to bed after a busy day without worrying about packing up. On the way to the room we did grab a cookie from the bar in the lobby, which was almost free when we used our daily resort food credit.

The cookies were really good. The peanut butter cup ones were my favorite.

We got one each day of our stay, and I liked the chocolate chunk ones a little more, but they were all great. After dessert we headed to bed fairly early to conclude a long fun day.

Stay tuned for more and to see where we end up.

Overall it was very much a downtown area of a big city, which was much busier than we expected.
We took one look at Honolulu and decided to cancel our downtown hotel and move to the north shore. I worked in downtown Chicago and that was enough big city for us. :)
The food was great! My favorite was the kalua pork.
The luau looks like a lot of fun. Kalua pork is my favorite, too. :) We went to a luau when we were in Maui with our daughters and loved it.
After the show was over he got his picture taken with the performer, who he told he had seen on YouTube.
That is a cute picture. You can tell that Marshall is really enjoying the entertainment.
At this point we were really glad we didn’t have to move out the next day. I had decided to stay one more day at the Hyatt before moving up to Aulani.
That would have been messy to go to Aulani that night.

Wonderful report so far! Ha ha, I actually googled that address of the fancy house you Zillow surfed---very impressive. I like surfing too :) Again, you have such beautiful kids, who seem really well behaved. Such a treat that you took us along on your fun vacation. Looking forward to more---bring on Aulani!!!

We took one look at Honolulu and decided to cancel our downtown hotel and move to the north shore. I worked in downtown Chicago and that was enough big city for us. :)
Yeah, downtown Honolulu is very much "downtown" and not the relaxing island vibe we expect from a vacation. Waikiki was busy enough for us, but at least had more of a vacation feel to it.

The luau looks like a lot of fun. Kalua pork is my favorite, too. :) We went to a luau when we were in Maui with our daughters and loved it.
Yeah, it is just one of those things you gotta do, and in this case we were impressed with the food and overall quality of the presentation. It was a neat show.

That is a cute picture. You can tell that Marshall is really enjoying the entertainment.
Yes, he had a ball. It has to be the best wedding "reception" we've ever been to.

That would have been messy to go to Aulani that night.
Yeah, we had considered checking out and going to Aulani the next morning, but didn't want to have to pack that night so we stayed an extra day. This would up being a great call so that we had some time to enjoy exploring from Waikiki before heading up to Aulani.

Wonderful report so far! Ha ha, I actually googled that address of the fancy house you Zillow surfed---very impressive. I like surfing too :) Again, you have such beautiful kids, who seem really well behaved. Such a treat that you took us along on your fun vacation. Looking forward to more---bring on Aulani!!!
Thanks so much! Zillow surfing is a fun hobby. That house was pretty extreme, but it was a super nice neighborhood. Our kids are fun, and generally well behaved but they too can be at each other's throats. Like typical siblings they can be fighting one minute but will defend the other one from anyone else the next minute. They did have a lot of fun on this trip.
Aulani is coming, but first we have a day of exploring from Waikiki on our own, which turned out to be one of our favorite days of the trip. We were all excited to get to Aulani, but it was nice to have some quiet time to get to see more of the island first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter