She's Making a June Trip, a June 2023 PTR (Updated 4/17)

We made the huge mistake of renting a Mustang convertible when we took our two daughters to Hawaii. We could barely fit the luggage in the car. I think someone had a suitcase on their lap. We realized that it was a mistake before we left the lot. ;) Your dilemma reminded me of it. :)

There are car services that will stop at the grocery store on the way to the resort, which could be a consideration.

I'm going to jump on the rental car bandwagon! I love being driven around on vacation no doubt, but I also don't like having to be tied down to someone else's schedule, sooooo renting a car is always my first choice! In October we drove and our friends took the bus to DHS, we got there before them and they tried leaving over an hour before us! For some reason there was no DHS bus running at that time. I have also waited over an hour for an EPCOT bus at OKW. With ME no longer a thing, I lean towards control every time, especially now that parking fees are no longer a thing!

Wonder if it's rental car yes, rental car no. I can see the advantage to both. Usually we opt for no car at Disney. Rental car prices are sky high right now but $469 is fairly reasonable. Good luck with your decision!

Hmmm, renting a car for longer trips opens up lots more opportunities for offsite activities, shopping, and dining. But your next trip is short enough that you'll have just one day in each Disney park with not much time to spare, right? If you do rent a Jeep, will you be able to guarantee you'll get a red one?
Exactly, it will be a fairly short trip, actually shorter than we have been doing, so we don't need any more distractions, but we could still get some benefit out of renting a car, and it would be totally new for us. We will do it sometime, but the question is whether this is the trip for it. We can't guarantee a red Jeep, but Alamo did let us pick from he ones available at pickup, so if they have a red one we could get it...

We made the huge mistake of renting a Mustang convertible when we took our two daughters to Hawaii. We could barely fit the luggage in the car. I think someone had a suitcase on their lap. We realized that it was a mistake before we left the lot. ;) Your dilemma reminded me of it. :)

There are car services that will stop at the grocery store on the way to the resort, which could be a consideration.
We saw so many convertible Mustangs in Hawaii. It's like you were either a Convertible Mustang person, a minivan person, or a Jeep person. I think people all have the same idea there about getting a fun rental car.
We thought about having the car service stop at a market, but we'd feel weird having them waiting for us. We know it's the deal, but we probably wouldn't enjoy having someone outside waiting. We can always do grocery delivery like we usually do, and we won't need a whole lot.

I'm going to jump on the rental car bandwagon! I love being driven around on vacation no doubt, but I also don't like having to be tied down to someone else's schedule, sooooo renting a car is always my first choice! In October we drove and our friends took the bus to DHS, we got there before them and they tried leaving over an hour before us! For some reason there was no DHS bus running at that time. I have also waited over an hour for an EPCOT bus at OKW. With ME no longer a thing, I lean towards control every time, especially now that parking fees are no longer a thing!
For every other vacation we do we are very independent, and I wouldn't even consider not having a car in Hawaii, but our Disney trips have always been different. We've been actually quite content being in the bubble for all of our trips, but now might be the time to expand it.

We are going in June also! Excited to follow along on your PTR :)
Welcome! It is a busy time, but any time is a great time for Disney World. We'll do more fun planning as we get closer to our ADR Date, and that will finally be here next month! It's getting close.

Good point, or you could order the groceries to be delivered to you.
That has always bene our approach.

Wonder if it's rental car yes, rental car no. I can see the advantage to both. Usually we opt for no car at Disney. Rental car prices are sky high right now but $469 is fairly reasonable. Good luck with your decision!
It will likely come down to whether the car prices spike before we commit to it or not. If we can get that pricing, we'll probably go for it. We haven't done it yet though...

Hi everyone! We are at 78 days till the trip now, which is kind of the calm before the storm of pre-trip preparation. On a somewhat related note, we found a neat way to fill that time...

Well I don't think Paul is going to be bored while we're waiting for the trip to come, he's going to be super busy.

I do have a lot going on at work, but also a fun way to spend time on the weekends. It won't come as a surprise to followers of this or our Hawaii trip report when you hear that we got another vehicle.

Any guesses......?? It might change our rental car plan because he quenched a desire he's had for a long time.

And I even managed to find a GREEN one! Yep, we bought a Jeep!
p1569248159-4.jpg

p1569248541-4.jpg

Friends, I have never seen him happier in our entire 20 years together, seriously.
p1569248363-4.jpg

Aww, it is one of those dream vehicles, in my favorite color, and is something we will all enjoy. A cool thing is that we got it on St. Patrick's Day. I had to pinch myself... It does mean we probably won't pay the extra to rent one though.
p1569248457-4.jpg

And that's the tie in to the trip report. Since he now owns a Jeep, it has decreased the strong desire to rent one. We still aren't sure what we're going to do for airport transportation though.

Yeah, we can probably skip it for Florida, at least this time, but we will still get one next time we're in Hawaii.

For sure! We don't really have any other updates right now as far as the trip goes. We're just kinda surviving work and the wrap up of the school year.

Next month we make our ADRs, and I have a calendar reminder set to get up at 3AM. Hopefully we get what we want, although Sci Fi Drive in is probably the hardest one we're trying for.

We'll keep you updated!

Congratulations! You look mighty spiffy in the new Jeep! I think it was a smart move to put your money towards buying a Jeep instead of renting one for such a short trip where you'd spend most of your time on the property anyway. Happy for you guys!

I love the green Jeep. :)

I was pleasantly surprised to get a SciFi lunch on our ADR day. It is for the 4th day of our April trip which probably increased our chances of finding a reservation. :)

Congratulations! You look mighty spiffy in the new Jeep! I think it was a smart move to put your money towards buying a Jeep instead of renting one for such a short trip where you'd spend most of your time on the property anyway. Happy for you guys!
Thanks! The rental may still happen since it is about the same cost as a car service and tip, but we do love having the Jeep at home. If we do the rental it will just be to get to/from the airport and probably Disney Springs, but it still has appeal.

I love the green Jeep. :)

I was pleasantly surprised to get a SciFi lunch on our ADR day. It is for the 4th day of our April trip which probably increased our chances of finding a reservation. :)
Thanks, it is my favorite color. We are optimistic about Sci Fi since it will be late in our trip too.

Love the Jeep! Enjoy it :)
Thanks, it is something I have wanted almost my entire life, and is just perfect. Renting one showed us how nice they can be, and it is enough of a “nice car” for us to use for normal driving but is also a lot of fun.

Can’t wait to hear about your trip! We are going in June/July too.
Great, thanks for joining. We are really looking forward to being back at WDW. We’ll have another update posted shortly.

We have a trip update guys!

We were sitting on the couch this morning drinking coffee trying to decide what we should do about our airport transportation. We looked at the cost of both a hired car and the rental car and did a pro/con rundown.

The car service is nice and has the pros of shorter time at the airport, help with our bags, and not needing to think about where we are going since we just get to show up.

hA0F5B08
p168778504-2.jpg

The rental, on the other hand, has the pros of flexibility to stop on the way to / from the resortt and lets us explore just a little bit more, and gives us the option of driving to Disney Springs which we are all excited about.

Using the car service we’re more locked into just having to go to and from the airport. It’s also more difficult to adjust times on the fly, last year our flight got delayed so we ended up at the airport super early, we could have adjusted our times if we were on our own.

But the rental car takes more time at the airport on both the pickup end and the drop off end taking time away from other things.

Even without the added alure of getting to play with a Jeep, there are pluses of having a rental car that we decided we are ready to try for our Florida trips.

Then we looked at the car options, and Melissa had serious doubts about us fitting in a smaller car with all of our luggage. We could have gotten a F-150, but the Jeep was only $18 more and a minivan would have been more expensive than that.
h2A17061E
p706151966-2.jpg

So we booked a Jeep. Maybe it’s silly but we know we’ll fit in a Jeep and I’d be nervous about fitting our big luggage in a smaller car.

h2DD178B7
p768702647-2.jpg

The best rate we could find was through Costco travel, and we can cancel anytime (like if DME comes back miraculously) but we don't think that is likely to happen, and we are all excited about getting to explore FLorida just a little bit more this time, even if it is just a Target or grocery store. With it being just the four of us, if we are too tired to go out to a prk some night, we can go out for a drive. We'll see how it goes.

In talking about the rental car we were talking about how nice it is going to be to just drive to Disney Springs. Like we could go for breakfast because we wouldn’t have to wait for a bus. Which led to a potential brunch at Homecomin which had me on Open Table.

hD6D9CFA
p225287418-2.jpg

Unfortunately it turned out that Homecomin wasn't available on there, but Boathouse was so we made our first dining reservation of the trip at 72 days out.

I’m kinda looking forward to the potential of an early Disney Springs day though.

It is nice to know we'll be back at one of my favorite restaurants, and we won't have a long bus wait to get there or back. We have it planned for our first full night.

Oy that’ll be nice, hopefully we don’t forget that we drove and go to the busses anyway.

Yes, I think we will adjust our plans to try for a Homecomin brunch on the weekend when we are there, because that was so great before.

hA0A195D
p168434013-2.jpg

It was great but if we can’t fit it in this trip it’ll be ok. We’re going to have lots to do and lots of great food to eat.

And we can pick up a few extra groceries for quick meals in the room when we're shopping, and for the first time won't have to deal with a grocery delivery service for our water bottles. It's something different, but we are sure excited.

Yes we are! 72 days!!!

Note: We had issues with the picture uploads, so we have the broken image before each image, but we can't edit it to fix them. Oh well, on with life.

Last edited:
It will be nice to use your rental car to go to Disney Springs. The WL bus shares with Contemporary for DS and sometimes that bus is packed with people trying to get to Magic Kingdom from Disney Springs. :)

Wow a new member of the family! Love the green color - really nice! I'm a minivan gal - I've been without one for 10 years but we will buy one before the end of the year. We're both retired now so it will be good for road trips :car: I agree with the pros of having a vehicle at Disney. Provides a lot of flexibility. Love Homecomin - hope you're able to get a reservation!

Late to show, but now following! Always enjoy reading your reports. That green Jeep looks pretty sweet. I just got a new ride recently as well! I wanted green as well (my favorite color), but the wife shot me down lol.

Did you consider the Sunshine Flyer for transport from Airport to WDW and back? It is supposedly the closest thing to Magical Express.

My wife wanted a different resort after our late Oct 2021 Copper Creek stay, so I managed to get 5 nights at Beach Club for last week in October this year via waitlist. Haven't tried Boathouse or SciFi yet, but I think we will this time. Hollywood Brown Derby was our favorite from our last trip.

Happy to find your newest PTR! I have some exciting news. I am going to Disneyland for my first time I will be able to remember (went as a small kid). Just me an a friend to celebrate her 50th in mid-August.

It will be nice to use your rental car to go to Disney Springs. The WL bus shares with Contemporary for DS and sometimes that bus is packed with people trying to get to Magic Kingdom from Disney Springs. :)
Yes, that is always one of the longest bus ride waits, and the MK to DS crowd could be part of the reason for it. We have been to DS by car one time, on our second trip with a couple we met from the DIS boards and it was really quick. We are looking forward to it.

As an FYI Homecomin you can now apparently only reserve through Disney, which is a bummer but its worth it-happy you were able to snag the Boathouse!
Yeah, we found that about Homecomin, so it would come down to our luck online, soon you'll see how we did.

Wow a new member of the family! Love the green color - really nice! I'm a minivan gal - I've been without one for 10 years but we will buy one before the end of the year. We're both retired now so it will be good for road trips :car: I agree with the pros of having a vehicle at Disney. Provides a lot of flexibility. Love Homecomin - hope you're able to get a reservation!
We really enjoyed our minivan. The sliding doors are super handy with kids, and it is great to have that much space. It will be our first time with a car at Disney, and we are excited about it.

Late to show, but now following! Always enjoy reading your reports. That green Jeep looks pretty sweet. I just got a new ride recently as well! I wanted green as well (my favorite color), but the wife shot me down lol.
Melissa said I could get one if I could find a green one. I don't think she thought I would actually be able to find one. It worked out for me...

Did you consider the Sunshine Flyer for transport from Airport to WDW and back? It is supposedly the closest thing to Magical Express.
We briefly considered Sunshine Flyer, but if we have to pay we really like having something quicker than the buses. Jon and Brandy didn't have a great experience with Mears buses post DME, but they still use them. Sunshine Flyer sounds good, but we don't have any direct experience with it.

My wife wanted a different resort after our late Oct 2021 Copper Creek stay, so I managed to get 5 nights at Beach Club for last week in October this year via waitlist. Haven't tried Boathouse or SciFi yet, but I think we will this time. Hollywood Brown Derby was our favorite from our last trip.
Beach Club is a great compliment to WL. It is such an awesome location, and being able to walk to two parks is great. We loved Brown Derby last trip, but getting to do Sci Fi with the kids again sounds like fun for this time.

Happy to find your newest PTR! I have some exciting news. I am going to Disneyland for my first time I will be able to remember (went as a small kid). Just me an a friend to celebrate her 50th in mid-August.
Welcome to this one! Congratulations on your upcoming trip to DL for the first time. It is a neat experience, and very different from WDW. It truly is amazing to see what they can do with so little space, and the original park is just special. Be aware that it will feel odd compared to MK though, because some things are just in the wrong places, like haunted mansion and small world, and now there's a Galaxy's Edge thrown in as well... Where are you going to stay, and how long will you be there?

Friends! We have a major trip update today!

It was our ADR Day, so I got up at 3 AM and went online to see what I could get. I am happy to report that it was quite successful.

I did not get up but we did sit down last night and finalize our list.

My first attempt was Sci Fi Drive in for the 5th day of our trip, and once it rolled over to 3 AM I was able to snag it for lunch time.
p3085170712-4.jpg

Marshall is really going to love this one, he doesn’t remember the last time we went. Also without needing a high chair and a smaller group we can probably be seated in a car.
p3085170817-4.jpg

I am really looking forward to it, and so is Allie so it should be a hit.

After that I grabbed a LeCellier for the same night, setting up a nice park hop Sunday.

It’s been a while since we’ve been to LeCellier but I’m super excited to go back. The food was great when we were there and I remember really enjoying the desserts.

It will be a nice one to return to. We also got Teppan Edo for our anniversary day, which should be a great meal.

Delicious, and I’m definatly ordering sushi.

And I will without a doubt order the filet mignon. What a great way to celebrate 16 years.
p917510559-4.jpg

Next I got Yak and Yeti for lunch on Saturday, our AK day. It is always a favorite.

It is, I don’t have a favorite dish here but the Mango Pie is a dream. It’s my favorite.
p809711432-4.jpg

And here I will get the cream cheese Wontons.
p585118747-4.jpg

I did wind up altering this reservation later though, but I'll get to that in a minute. Next I got a new one for us, lunch at Plaza Inn on our first full day.

I am excited that we get to try something new and Plaza looks like a good lunch spot.

It is fun to add something new. Having gotten everything on our wish list in under 15 minutes, I decided to see if we could get something extra. We loved Homecomin brunch last time, so I saw what I could do and was able to snag it for 9:35 AM on Saturday.

I absolutely loved the brunch here and I’m so happy he thought to try for it while I was snoring.
p298952130-4.jpg

This is where we’ll take full advantage of the rental car because we can just drive to Disney Springs.

It did mean that I had to rearrange our Yak and Yeti, pushing it back to 4:30. With the rental car we can finally easily get to Disney Springs in the morning, and then go straight over to Animal Kingdom. We might like being able to avoid a couple of the worst bus rides.

No kidding, does everyone else remember the hour wait for the bus to Wilderness Lodge from Animal Kindom on our girls trip?

Yeah, and that trip from Disney Springs to AK would be a project on the buses, so we'll avoid it this time, thanks to a rental Jeep.

Speaking of Jeeps I think the green Jeep needs something Disney. Maybe we’ll find something on the trip.

Oooh, I agree. I wonder if we can find a hitch cover or something.

We’re getting super close! We have one more reservation to make, you’ll just have to stay tuned to see what we’re up to.

And that will be in the next update, after I call to do it... Stay tuned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter