Sharing with Grandma... WWYD?

Put grandmother in the kids room. The stateroom we had once had a queen bed, a sleeper twin and a pull down twin.

grandma on the sleeper sofa twin and a child in the pull down twin- the other children in the queen.

my 25 yr old daughter slept on the sofa twin and was comfortable. She gave the queen bed to me.

if there is room for all the kids in the queen, grandma can pull the curtain closed but the tv is on that side (wonder).

if you and you husband want privacy, stick with just you two in your stateroom.

She asked to come knowing that, so it’s not rude to have her sleep in with the kids.
But I don't think we actually thought it was rude. I think the comments were just about thinking about the grandmother's comfort and privacy and thinking the kids may have wanted to have the room to have fun as siblings. All of us who even spoke about the grandmother's viewpoint were like she should get her own room, the OP is the one leaning towards not. If the grandmother is fine with that then she is but the way you talked was like it was on the grandmother, at this point it's the OP making the decision for the grandmother, I would hash this all out with her (and I think that's what most of us are saying anyhow).

But I don't think we actually thought it was rude. I think the comments were just about thinking about the grandmother's comfort and privacy and thinking the kids may have wanted to have the room to have fun as siblings. All of us who even spoke about the grandmother's viewpoint were like she should get her own room, the OP is the one leaning towards not. If the grandmother is fine with that then she is but the way you talked was like it was on the grandmother, at this point it's the OP making the decision for the grandmother, I would hash this all out with her (and I think that's what most of us are saying anyhow).
Ok? I was just offering my opinion on the OPs situation like everyone else and/or support for the idea that it’s cool to put grandma in with the kids if that’s what OP wants. It’s ok for us to have a different perspective; I’m sure there are some who agree with me and some, like you, who have a different take. I’m not judging you for your take.

Ok? I was just offering my opinion on the OPs situation like everyone else and/or support for the idea that it’s cool to put grandma in with the kids if that’s what OP wants. It’s ok for us to have a different perspective; I’m sure there are some who agree with me and some, like you, who have a different take. I’m not judging you for your take.
Sorry you appeared to be speaking towards comments from other posters who had mentioned looking at it from the grandmother's side, if you weren't I apologize.

I don’t think that you are overthinking it. If she absolutely understands that she either has to sleep in a tiny bed or share with one of the kids, then I think everything is fine. I do think you need to be prepared for something to go wrong and that grandma may need the queen to herself for part of the cruise.

As long as you are okay with possibly not having privacy for every night of the cruise, I think you’ll be fine.

I have to admit that the most shocking thing about your situation to me is that you are able to expect that with or without grandma, your kids will stay in their room and give you privacy for the whole cruise!! That is totally alien to me!! 😂🤪😜
My thoughts exactly - DH and I stopped doing connecting rooms with our kids and do adjoining or a room across the hall.

Another option might be to switch to a five person room for the kids and grandma (family verandah) so everyone gets their own bed. And then you and DH really will get a little more privacy.

Question, and sorry if it's been asked-and-answered and I missed it: On DCL do the queen beds break down into two twins like on every other line I've ever sailed? If so, spilt the queen - the resulting twin bed is quite adequate for a single adult. That will leave individual beds for everyone - two twin beds, one pullman bunk and the sofa bed. I'd call that problem solved. Have a lovely trip. :wave2:

As a Grandma who just got off the Wonder with my son and grandkids, we had kids rotate rooms. We just had all beds turned down each night, just made it easier. This was more because all kids wanted to stay with Grandma. My 11yo granddaughter usually likes to share the bed with me as she likes to chit chat half the night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter