Sharing DVC with Family is Great!

littlestar

DIS Veteran
One of the perks of being a DVC member is being able to share your membership with family and friends. I've got a cousin that is a great photographer. She took all the pictures of our daughter's wedding and reception at no charge. A gift from her to us and our daughter. She's a stay-at-home mom with her two small children and wanted to take her kids to Disney (they've never been). Well, we were able to book them some days at VWL for their trip. Without DVC, we couldn't do this. It feels great to be able to return one kindness with another.

I'm so excited for them and wish I could be a fly on the wall when they see the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge for the first time. They've never been to Disneyworld.

I agree about sharing DVC. We also enjoy taking people to WDW.
That is very nice of you to send them to VWL. They will be absolutely blown away with it! :)

We took my brother, his wife, daughter, her parents and another neice Jan 2002. Had a 2br and a studio. My brother was all calm and cool, not excited in the least. Now his wife, daughter,and mil, they were excited, the fil just wanted to know where the golf courses were. The minute we pulled up to the Lodge my brother flipped. You could hear it in his voice and see it on his face. I think he was expecting a Motel six with a wilderness theme or something, (even though we'd shown them pictures). The fil was going pretty good to, but you'd have to know him, still looking for golf courses. By about the 4th day he was following along to the parks but thought the golf was some of the best he'd played anywhere. My brother was smiles the whole trip, he's a big outdoors guy so the thought of spending a week in WDW wasn't his idea of a vacation. That week changed that. We saw some deer from our room on several days.
Your cousing will love it, and what an opportunity to tell her thanks.

That is one of the reasons we bought as many points as we did, being able to share great family vacations and make great memories for our son to remember vacationing with his grandparents -- and hopefull he will do the same when DH and I are able to enjoy grandchildren!! LOL

:smooth: Our first trip to DVC we banked all our first year's points into the beginning of our second year to take the family (my Mom & DA, my sister and her 3 kids)for Easter break. My mother still talks about it as if we own WDW! And that was 10 years ago.
We have gone with various mebers since as well as friends and always have a great time. The 'guests' have as great a time as we do!:bounce:

Just posted to a similar thread, but to reiterate...

It's one of the main reasons we purchased!
And planning who to invite, where, when, and for how long is one of my favorite things to do!!

Can't wait to share the magic for the first time with guests.

Peace
G4L

We took friends who had never been to WDW. They are 50! Beth wanted to go but Ed didn't. After we got there they had a great time. We rented a GV at OKW and they couldn't believe it. They both said they would be back again and this time with the grandchildren. People who have never been can't understand the hugh appeal of WDW and DVC. They see WDW as another theme park. It is for sure not just another theme park. All our family and friends who have gone have had a great time and can't believe how nice everything is. There is no better place for a family trip than to WDW and DVC. There is something to do for everyone. WE LOVE IT!!!!!

We bring our children and grandchilden every other T'giving, we are up to 15 people now. Last Jan we brought DH's brother's family of 6 kids, 14y to 3 months. The kids are still talking about the trip. They are trying to convince their dad that instead of saving for their college tuition he should buy DVC!
It really is fun treating others to the Magic!

We love to invite folks to come with us, too. Downside: when we bought, DS was 13 and DD 9, and we told them we were buying DVC so they wouldn't have to take turns on a rollaway ANY MORE. Well... we ended up inviting some friends to come too, so the kids ended up in the living room of the 2 BR, and we had to get a rollaway anyway! But last family trip we had my parents in the 2nd bedroom, DD in the living room, and got DS a studio of his own. Worked out great, and we could/would never have done it for cash!

Now we're trying to figure out a target year for a GV and invite the whole family! :bounce:

My MIL's only trip to WDW left a little to be desired for her. We stayed offsite which meant long waits for buses. And being with several other family members that had other ideas about what a WDW trip should consist of made her never want to go back.
Well now she is going "home" with us to VWL and she is excited again.
I cant wait to see her face when we pull up to the Lodge and walk in to see the huge Christmas tree.

hi: we also love sharing with friends and family. we did a 14 person trip in 2000 with most of my side of the family, and several trips since then with at least 1 "newbie" or relative. next month, we will have 14 high school cross country runners, 2 coaches, our dil and niece with us. november will be a ladies only trip with a couple of people who haven't been to wdw since epcot was built. it's going to be a lot of fun even though we had to borrow a bit from this year's points.

We haven't taken any friends or family yet, but I just wanted to thank everyone for posting on this thread. And thanks to littlestar for starting it.

The vast majority of threads about family or guests here seem very negative. Which is understandable....bringing family and having a good time hardly seems noteworthy.

Thanks for the stories.:)

We have added on numerous times because at least for the next several years, my mother and sister have enjoyed vacationing with us. I know these are among the nicest vacations they have ever taken. We added points so we could use points only instead of a combination of points and cash for these trips. DVC is great for these types of extended family vacations.

WE LOVE taking family and friends. I usually book a 2 bedroom and change it if I can't get anyone to go along. So far only one has refused! Our next trip is still guestless, but I doubt it will be for long, since we currently have some GREAT airfares from here.

A few weeks ago I was able to take my sister and two nieces to Disney for the first time. We had a blast! My one year old niece took my car keys out my purse last night (I've got a Mickey and Minnie Hilton Head keychain) and even though she can barely talk, she started saying really excited "Mick Mouse" over and over again and wouldn't give back my keys! I know she won't remember the details of our trip but she left Disneyworld knowing who Mickey Mouse is and we took the most precious pictures of them.

I know this trip would not have been possible without our DVC. Last year my younger brother, sister and her husband joined us at Hilton Head and OKW and this coming June another sister will join me and my son at the Yacht Club (on reservation points). I have 11 younger brothers and sisters plus 14 nieces and nephews so I know our DVC will be put to good use for years and years to come!

I'm taking four co-workers for a week of girls-only fun in October. We definately bought in with the the intent to share the magic with our friends and family.

This is my first shared trip. Any good hints or insights from those of you that have shared before?

We originally bought-in knowing that family and friends would be joining us. Someone goes with us now at least once a year. I only had a few moments of panic when we traveled with 13 of us (some staying with us - some staying at the adjoining resort). With separate bathrooms and a livingroom and kitchen between us it was not uncomfortable at all having inlaws and other family members with us. My biggest suggestion is to plan on meals together - and pre-plan them so there's no last minute indecision. (the one time we didn't have a meal planned - it ended up wasting lots of time). Definitely split into smaller groups with only a couple of meets at key rides. With smaller groups I'd still split up - so everyone can go where they want to with little waiting - thrill riders can go in one direction and tea-cup- sensitive people - the other. Have a radio plan too - channels, subchannels and set times to try and contact eachother.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter