Service dog fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they feel like their hands are tied, but they aren't. Even if the person lies in response to the legally allowed questions, if the animal acts up they CAN kick them out. Businesses tend to be scared, but from what I've read on ADA pages and I believe even here on the Disabilities page there has not yet been a lawsuit that doesn't favor the business. As long as the dog is legitimately behaving very very poorly, the business is within their rights to treat them as they would a poorly behaving human.

Most businesses aren't going to take someone to court or want to go that far. Many mom and pop type places are barely making into the black on a normal day no way can they afford to pay for lawyers to have this go to court and see no monetary positive of it.

And when you went to the CMs there and told them about both the behavior and the fact that the dog did nto perform a service for the man, what happened?

I'm not the service dog police, nor should I need to be.

I'm for having some sort of certification or qualification process to validate the real service dogs from the pets. Not specifically cost prohibitive. A starting point might be like the criteria for getting a disabled parking permit. Granted, there's still abuse with the disabled parking permits, but at least some of the offenders would be dissuaded.

In the press release, they mentioned the required certification/training, but I can't find it now. But it was more than just registering a dog.

A service dog must be trained to perform a task related to the disability. But there is no certification requirement. Disneyland (or anywhere else) cannot require that, so I don't know what article you read. Service dogs may be trained by an expensive organization, or on a personal level; there are no "official papers."

I agree it does seem to be a common issue in recent years. In my area, there has been a push lately for businesses to become aware of their rights to question about the dog, as well as enforce behavior expectations of said dog. Most businesses simply aren't aware, or fear social-media backlash.

Yep, the more I read into it, it's nearly impossible to turn away any declared service dog (or small horse) under Federal law.

From the absolute explosion of these animals in the last 5 years, my gut feeling is a majority are not legitimate, but that's my personal opinion.

Comfort dogs, emotional distress dogs, etc. are not service dogs.

Edited to add: This is not to say that anything can or should be done about it...

This. I completely understand needing a legitimate service dog with you at all times (for PTSD, seizures, etc.) But I would NEVER claim that my emotional support dog is a service dog. There is a huge difference. It is really sad to see how many people try to 'register' their dogs now to try and abuse the system. All it does is hurt everyone who really does need a service dog.

Yeah, we had one next table over in Cape May last Oct. Followed the owner to the buffet table every time. We're dog lovers and this was not upsetting but i do agree there's abuse going on. How long before people start claiming allergies or phobias to animals in response?

Bill From PA
that dog sounds like a friend of ours seizure dog. it just follows her around until senses a seizure coming when the dog goes parent and alerts. dog is a small lap type dog, she could carry dog if she wanted but was not supposed to do that. if she had gone to a buffet the dog would have done just what you saw

ADA should give legit service animals a credential as part of the very expensive training this dogs get in order to service the disabled, and that way they can be identified from "assistance" dogs from a website, I understand people might find cheaper to just take the pet they already own and get the certificate, but is ridiculous to let them inside restaurants and amusement parks. This will happens when one of this dogs bite or do harm to other park goers.
but some people train their own dogs than get one already trained and it legal to do so

While we thought it was odd there were so many at WDW a few weeks ago,the truth is if even one of them was for legitimate reasons, then it's really moot how many aren't. A business cannot ask specific questions. If you say it is a service animal. Then it is. The ADA is quite specific about discrimination. And I don't actually care at all who is and who isn't being honest about their dogs "certification". There is a plethora of reasons one may need a service animal.

While we thought it was odd there were so many at WDW a few weeks ago,the truth is if even one of them was for legitimate reasons, then it's really moot how many aren't. A business cannot ask specific questions. If you say it is a service animal. Then it is. The ADA is quite specific about discrimination. And I don't actually care at all who is and who isn't being honest about their dogs "certification". There is a plethora of reasons one may need a service animal.

Yes there are a plethora of reason but ADA says it must be a trained task. The mere presence of the dog does not count thus the difference between Emotional Support and Service Animal. People's working dogs have been attacked by fake service dogs so it is a very important conversation to have as it gets worse. If the people the laws are in place to protect are negatively affected by they grey areas it is worth looking into what could be done to alleviate the grey area. That's one reason service animal was recently update to trained dogs and small horses.

Yes there are a plethora of reason but ADA says it must be a trained task. The mere presence of the dog does not count thus the difference between Emotional Support and Service Animal. People's working dogs have been attacked by fake service dogs so it is a very important conversation to have as it gets worse. If the people the laws are in place to protect are negatively affected by they grey areas it is worth looking into what could be done to alleviate the grey area. That's one reason service animal was recently update to trained dogs and small horses.

On that front I agree. It's a shame really. Because well trained service dogs are obviously obedient and protective. And an untrained dog , that's just there, because the owner just doesn't want to leave it at home or board the dog or pay for home care etc leave a door wide open for endangerment to service animals and people too. It's that whole lack of "honesty" thing that is becoming a trend of sorts.
I hate being away from my dog. He means the world to me. I know he is depressed a little when I'm gone. And doesn't eat like he should. But I make proper arrangements for him with a family member to stay in my home with him. I would never consider calling him a service dog and getting a generic vest, so I don't have to leave him. People must be confused, which will lead to a story sooner than later of an untrained animal incident somewhere.

I'm not so worried about service animals actually at WDW though I agree they seem to be multiplying daily. It's flying with all these animals that concerns me. While not life threatening for most people what about animal allergies for those with asthma? I worked with a woman with severe asthma was not always easily controlled. The perfume fumes that caused me to have a migraine sent her home. She always said that flying was a big problem too. Flight attendants make announcements about someone with a severe nut allergy being on board but not pet allergies (at least yet). Sounds like another emerging conflict between the rights of individuals and the rights of others.

On that front I agree. It's a shame really. Because well trained service dogs are obviously obedient and protective. And an untrained dog , that's just there, because the owner just doesn't want to leave it at home or board the dog or pay for home care etc leave a door wide open for endangerment to service animals and people too. It's that whole lack of "honesty" thing that is becoming a trend of sorts.
I hate being away from my dog. He means the world to me. I know he is depressed a little when I'm gone. And doesn't eat like he should. But I make proper arrangements for him with a family member to stay in my home with him. I would never consider calling him a service dog and getting a generic vest, so I don't have to leave him. People must be confused, which will lead to a story sooner than later of an untrained animal incident somewhere.

Great points. The only point I don't agree with is that people "must be confused". People know exactly what they are doing.

Yeap, this is the latest thing that some people are taking advantage of. We saw so many dogs that clearly were not real service dogs.
We travel with our handicapped son and I think we pay special attention to all of the special needs fraud that go on.

Thanks - I was looking for a response like this. Something that maybe makes sense/legitimacy of it all.
have a friend with a seizure dog a small dog who would follow her like the small dog said in an earlier post about dog at buffet

Another year or two should see some clarification from Congress on the ADA law. Enough people have tried to bring in emotional distress animals into federal buildings that they are now so so so slowly looking at modifications such as requiring people to carry actual training papers.

On a trip this month I saw more dogs in the parks in seven days than maybe ever combined in all previous trips. The dogs in most cases were wearing "service animal" identification.

I'm no service dog expert, but I've been around people who needed them. They are not really treated like pets when they are "working." Many of the dogs I saw in the parks seem to be treated like, well, more pets than working/service animals. (Holding the dog playfully up on his hind legs, in one case, to get close enough to feel the splash of a fountain, for example. Carrying a tiny dog around under one's arm, in another.)

Am I seeing things?

A bit of googling indicates service animal fraud is a growing concern. With ADA, Disney can't really stop people from saying their dog is required because of a disability. But is this just really a bunch of people who want to bring pets into the parks?

I love dogs, btw, and the dogs I saw were well behaved. But this seems inappropriate, if it's the case.
A big issue still especially since Disney sets aspire dog rooms. I think Disney needs to charge a daily fee for bringing the dog to parks and resorts. Too much abuse of the system and an overhaul is needed by ADA and establishments to prevent this abuse.

Today, I saw four dogs enter the Grand Floridian in less than 5 minutes to take photos by the tall lobby tree.

I think people don’t want to board their animals or pay someone to watch them.

Thus, Disney needs to charge for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter