September W.I.S.H. - Back to Basics

Thursday Thankfuls:
  • Decluttering is going well. - Four boxes of hand-me-down toys and extra craft stuff left the house to various neighbor kids yesterday. And four bags of books are sorted to take to the library sale!
  • DH is feeling better. (Either his allergies were acting up or he had a small cold. - He's vaccinated, but in these times, I still get a little nervous about every sniffle!)
  • DS and his roommate came home on Monday night for their friend's birthday. It was nice to see him!

Tuesday:
My goals were manage stress & get eating on track. I would say that I’m doing pretty good with those. Definitely some ups and downs with stress, but managed most of it well. Eating has been better, but still not good enough to lose weight. Just maintained for this month. But glad I didn’t gain!

Wednesday:
Woohoo I’ve created good habits that I can follow during the school year (morning workouts, meal prep on weekends, etc). Really helps that I can just go on autopilot when I’m half asleep on the early mornings.

woohoo my husband doesn’t have Covid…just a man cold…

Thursday:
Thankful for support in my classroom. When we built our new school, we gained an extra class in each grade. So we have about 150 more students, but the same number of support staff. So many classrooms do not have much support. So I am VERY thankful that I do have support!!!

Thankful for this beautiful fall
weather.

Thankful I didn’t gain weight last month. The way I was snacking I was going to eventually.

Thankful my kids and grandson are having a good year so far-loved hearing about my my grandson’s middle school day last weekend. Which leads to…

So thankful he still enjoys spending time with us. I know that will change one day so we are loving it while we can.

My woohoo from yesterday is DD got to play in her first soccer game this year. Then in the second half she got hurt again. It looks like maybe a strained ligament in her ankle. She rolled her ankle while she was on her toes. The athletic trainer is not too worried about it because it didn't swell like it would have if it was more serious. So for now it is wrapped and she will see the trainer this afternoon again. Good news is we already have an appointment with the orthopedic on Monday for her scoliosis check. If need be he can check this too. I really need to just wrap her in bubble wrap.

I will come back with what I am thankful for later today.

Oh I know what I am thankful for. That the school and the city can come together to hold a nice Homecoming for the kids. They had to go it outside because of COVID and the city gave them the area around the lake for free. It is a beautiful area that already has lights strung overhead, 2 pavilions, the lake and an open area that is an amphitheater. It will be lovely night too with the temp at least during the day being 77.

Oh lordie, I am beat. The Vendor did not pass the test, so not sure what comes next other than I will be highly resistant to coming back down for more testing before Christmas... I think that will be supported by most of people involved. I got my 10,000 steps in yesterday no problem. Our flights home today are at 6:15pm, we should be at the airport around 3:30pm, if we can get on the 4:45pm flight great, if not we'll sit in the restaurant and "work".

Really looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight... and to seeing the girls. The last two times I've left for trips, looking back thru the window in the front door I've seen Ester sitting there with the saddest look on her face, it just tears my heart out.

I am hobbling in to October as one very tired girl this morning. Got home after 10pm last night in bed by maybe 11pm, then the girls played all night long... sometimes chasing each other around the house sometimes wrestling on the bed itself. My sleep charts look about the same as other nights but I am tired.

I still want to go up north to the pumpkin farm tomorrow but it would mean getting up early and I also want to be able to sleep without a pre-determined wake up time, so we'll see what wins out.

I was only up one pound this morning, not bad for having so little control over eating, which is one of the biggest challenges during trips like that. So all in all September was a successful month, now on to October!

I am a bit sad that I missed all of these great posts during the week, but I came home every day, cooked, ate, and collapsed in front of tv...mostly dosing off.

This group of pandemic students who spent too much time at home are very spoiled and overindulged. Each of them expects one-on-one attention at all times. Most are getting used to functioning as a group, but a few of them tantrum like it's their job over the smallest things. Furniture gets thrown; classmates are attacked; hysterical screaming; and running out of the classroom happens at the drop of a hat.

In normal times, teachers shouldn't have to be alone with 24 kindergartners, but as funding was cut, full-day paras were cut to half-day then let go entirely. Half-day paras were brought back via temp agencies for Covid, but these are not trained staff. My new half-day para has spent most of her time disappearing...one hour to make 5 copies; 30 minutes to the bathroom; coming in two hours late...and the time she was around, she was little help and actually caused more trouble than she was worth. She actually told a child who was tantruming that he was going to jail. OMG! So inappropriate and potentially damaging, and it only escalated the tantrum. I was alone much of the week desperately needing help. I reported her to my principal, and she promised to contact the temp agency.

My student who has leukemia and epilepsy and is wheelchair-bound started school. After Mommy left, he cried, which is normal, of course. However, this little guy is a lot stronger than you would
imagine. While teaching the class of 24 alone, he became so inconsolable that I had to sit with him instead of teach while the four boys who act out went wild. I couldn't leave his side or let go of his wheelchair because he was pushing against his desk to flip his wheelchair over backwards...and at one point almost succeeded. I had to ask one of my good girls to get my cellphone off of my desk so I could call for help which didn't come until the fourth call I made. The social worker responded and took him for a walk so that I could resume order in my classroom.

Meanwhile, I had to do assessments, document data, enter grades for progress reports, and get iPads up and running with Lexia for every student. I was staying late to do paperwork except for the day I got my mammogram. I had to rearrange the room moving the most violent student as far away from my medically fragile student as possible.

By the grace of God, another new para arrived and started in my room Thursday morning. She's normal!!!!!! The one that was fired showed up anyway and wouldn't leave...Awkward! She worked in the other kindergarten, so I got to keep the good one all day! What a difference it made! I got work done. There was enough attention for each student so that we had zero tantrums, just some minor nonsense. I met my deadlines. Yesterday, I had a difficult parent prevent me from teaching all morning, but that is unfortunately not unusual and something that I am accustomed to handling even though it is utterly frustrating. The only good thing that came out of it was that the parent was left feeling so pleased with me that she told the principal what a "wonderful teacher" I am. Imagine if she had left me alone to teach her kid...It's not just the kids who are spoiled, it's the parents who think they are entitled.

I am so grateful for my newest para. I think this will be a game-changer. The principal also brought on another staff member to provide support for all 4 kindergartens when it hits the fan...which is more often than not. I am fortunate to be a veteran teacher able to handle most everything, but when these age-inappropriate violent meltdowns happen, it is great to finally have support.

Thank God this week is OVER.

What a week! I’m so glad the new para is going to be helpful instead of just one more aggravation for you.
My daughter has made similar comments about the kindergartners she has seen in her library this year. And classes are big because so many parents (understandably) kept their child home last year rather than start kindergarten virtually.
Fingers crossed things settle down a little for you!

Hooray! on to a new month. Will there be a new thread?

I was immensely shocked to be down 2 pounds this week. We'll see if that lasts until next week! I'll just keep plodding along doing what I do and making the best food choices I can. I've been terrible at doing weights but pumped up our very low big exercise ball and decided the goal for October would be to do sit ups on it every night. One night down! I'd pop over to the exercise thread except it's such a lowly goal I'd probably feel silly. And I'm being pretty bad about even keeping up here--so probably wouldn't do much there! :rolleyes:

Let's all avoid that Halloween candy I see everywhere!!!

Remember a couple weeks ago when I was body-shamed while shopping? Well, my amazing DD emailed the Store Manager to complain. She immediately received a response from her apologizing and wanting to "make it right." My birthday is days away, so my DD chose today.

We arrived at the store mid-morning and were greeted by a Personal Stylist who brought us to a special part of the store where she had gathered several clothing items and accessories in my size to try on. 4CD50F4C-E78F-4025-998F-45E46ACAC038.jpeg6C4B39B4-8CB8-4653-A889-39C598FB0A60.jpeg3D7CE4BA-5453-4128-9CF4-46C702D78A5E.jpeg

She spent a ridiculous amount of time with me describing each item and making suggestions. I tried on everything I liked and DD conducted a photo shoot. The Store Manager came to meet us and also spent a tremendous amount of time with us. She pulled DD aside and DD I.D.ed the person who was unkind. They then left to "have a word" with her. We were treated to lunch in their fancy restaurant with beautiful views. Every person working there stopped by to wish me, Happy Birthday. I have to say, they went above and beyond to make this right. It was a beautiful and thoughtful gift from my DD.

They want to stay in contact with us. I now have a Personal Stylist in addition to my DD who also works as one. I think she made some great professional contacts today. I guess it pays to speak up.

Last edited:
Remember a couple weeks ago when I was body-shamed while shopping? Well, my amazing DD emailed the Store Manager to complain. She immediately received a response from her apologizing and wanting to "make it right." My birthday is days away, so my DD chose today.

We arrived at the store mid-morning and were greeted by a Personal Stylist who brought us to a special part of the store where she had gathered several clothing items and accessories in my size to try on.
View attachment 609562View attachment 609564View attachment 609566

She spent a ridiculous amount of time with me describing each item and making suggestions. I tried on everything I liked and DD conducted a photo shoot. The Store Manager came to meet us and also spent a tremendous amount of time with us. She pulled DD aside and DD I.D.ed the person who was unkind. They then left to "have a word" with her. We were treated to lunch in their fancy restaurant with beautiful views. Every person working there stopped by to wish me, Happy Birthday. I have to say, they went above and beyond to make this right. It was a beautiful and thoughtful gift from my DD.

They want to stay in contact with us. I now have a Personal Stylist in addition to my DD who also works as one. I think she made some great professional contacts today. I guess it pays to speak up.
So so happy to hear this! And Happy Birthday!

Decided to make the drive north to visit the pumpkin farm and so glad I did. It was amazing, so many unique varieties and such beautiful displays.

On a whim I decided to take the long route home. When I checked what the drive from the farm to Port Townsend would be it took me thru Deception Pass, which has this amazing high bridge over a water inlet, so I went for it. That route includes a ferry in to PT and I had intended on stopping for lunch but the car started acting up not wanting to turn over, which it does now and then, so I went right thru town and now I’m at the ferry dock waiting for the boat that takes me right in to my neighborhood. Fingers crossed the car starts up ok… getting stuck on a ferry is not fun. Also need to make a stop at the grocery store, so fingers crossed I don’t get stuck there either.

All in all a beautiful day and lovely drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter