Sept 2012 Wilderness Lodge Mini Resort Report

Minnie&Nana said:
Thanks so much for the photos - love your room view! Did the king room happen to be an accessible room?

I never expected to stay at WL because when we visited it when it was brand new, we far preferred the tropical ambiance of the Polynesian, the excitement of the Contemporary with the monorail gliding through or the BC for it's delightful stroll to/from International Gateway....but after reading so many rave reviews on the DIS, decided to give it a try late November a couple of years ago (and the price was right with an AP rate).

Bet you won't be surprised to hear I absolutely fell in love with the resort - still not crazy about those small rooms (or the previous color scheme - reburb is so much nicer), but the resort is so peaceful and lovely, especially when decorated for the holidays. We also enjoyed a Villa studio, which is larger than a Lodge room and it's such a pretty walk over there...and just as convenient as being right in the Lodge.

Your little one is as cute as can be!:goodvibes

The king room that my parents had this time was not an accessible room, but ours on our honeymoon was. My wife preferred having the tub, but the extra open space of the accessible room was good.

Even with the standard room this time we were able to park the stroller in front of the sinks in the bathroom.

Thanks for the compliments on our DD, she loves pictures and Mickey's house.

We were on fourth floor room 4032 overlooking Otter Pond and our balcony was open but we had privacy walls between us And our neighbors. We ate Mickey waffles in our pjs on the balcony that dH brought back from Roaring Forks. So yes they have private balconies too.

firstwdw said:
We ate Mickey waffles in our pjs on the balcony that dH brought back from Roaring Forks. So yes they have private balconies too.

Mickey Waffles and mug refills via "daddy room service" were a big hit this trip. We did it at least three times, and on days we didn't DD asked where her waffle was. I enjoyed the morning walk down there through the beautiful lobby.

I loved your pictures here and on the WL thread.

Doesn't booking a bounceback help with the depression of leaving :)

PamelaKay said:
I loved your pictures here and on the WL thread.

Doesn't booking a bounceback help with the depression of leaving :)

Thanks! There are more pictures to come. I can't believe how many we took.

Yes! The bounceback helped us get over having to leave. I could have stayed in that room a lot longer if they'd let me! It had been over five years since our last WDW trip and I didn't want to have to wait that long. Even though the offer was for what we already had on this trip with free dining, it is great to have it locked in. Keeping the free dining will help since next time DD is considered a person and will need her own tickets. On the plus side, she will get free dining next time too while this time she wasn't on the plan.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts & photos! We stayed there briefly last year, pre-refurb, but I'm SO happy they re-did the rooms. They look fabulous and really brighten the rooms up. We wondered, though, about the rooms that open to the lobby -- if they would be noisier or otherwise less desirable. Your post definitely makes them seem MORE desirable. :thumbsup2

We'll be there in late November. I. Can't. WAIT!!!!

I've enjoyed your photos and comments both here and on the WL thread. It was great having you report LIVE!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts & photos! We stayed there briefly last year, pre-refurb, but I'm SO happy they re-did the rooms. They look fabulous and really brighten the rooms up. We wondered, though, about the rooms that open to the lobby -- if they would be noisier or otherwise less desirable. Your post definitely makes them seem MORE desirable. :thumbsup2

We'll be there in late November. I. Can't. WAIT!!!!

I see how someone could prefer one or the other, but our preference is definitely for the lobby rooms. At times we could hear the activities in WCC but it was never very loud and we were just so impressed with the view. The walk to the rooms was just so enjoyable that we really loved the lobby location. We also were able to use the side staircase to get down to the lobby if we wanted, which gave us the chance for a pretty tour of the sitting areas on the different floors. In just about a month you'll be there enjoying it all!

I've enjoyed your photos and comments both here and on the WL thread. It was great having you report LIVE!

Thanks, we REALLY enjoyed having the WL thread to watch and help pass time as we got ready for our trip. Once we were there, we just wanted to share the experience. (And the great free WiFi made it really easy to do so!) For any and all WL info this thread is the place to go, and is still the most frequently visited site on my computer...

Thanks, we REALLY enjoyed having the WL thread to watch and help pass time as we got ready for our trip. Once we were there, we just wanted to share the experience. (And the great free WiFi made it really easy to do so!) For any and all WL info this thread is the place to go, and is still the most frequently visited site on my computer...
Awww, thanks, GC:blush:. A thread is only as good as its posters;)

Loved your brief trip report and pictures. WL has always been on my "wish" list and we are now 58 days away from our first stay there. We're so excited and of course the time is dragging.

Thanks for your report! It makes me very excited about our upcoming trip to the WL. We check in on Sunday and can't wait!!:cool1:

stpats317 said:
Loved your brief trip report and pictures. WL has always been on my "wish" list and we are now 58 days away from our first stay there. We're so excited and of course the time is dragging.

Yes, those last days go soooo slow. I spent a disproportionate amount of my time on the Dis boards re-reading threads and trying to dig up new pictures. You will be there for a beautiful time of year and it will be well worth the wait.

luvlumpy said:
Thanks for your report! It makes me very excited about our upcoming trip to the WL. We check in on Sunday and can't wait!!:cool1:

Oh it is so close! It should still be pretty quiet as far as crowds are concerned. I hope you have a great time and can't wait to hear about it.

How was the bus transportation to the other parks? I'm considering WL for a June trip, but am concerned about looooong bus rides to the Studios and Epcot because of sharing with other resorts. I love Pop because of its transportation efficiency but I haven't stayed at the WL since it opened in 1994 and am dying to go back. Since I'll have children with me in June, it seems like a great time to try it out again...but I'm concerned about forever long bus rides.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your great trip report!

DizneyLizzy said:
How was the bus transportation to the other parks? I'm considering WL for a June trip, but am concerned about looooong bus rides to the Studios and Epcot because of sharing with other resorts. I love Pop because of its transportation efficiency but I haven't stayed at the WL since it opened in 1994 and am dying to go back. Since I'll have children with me in June, it seems like a great time to try it out again...but I'm concerned about forever long bus rides.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your great trip report!

Hi, and thanks for reading and mentioning that you enjoyed our report. We found the busses to be not bad at all. For Epcot and Hollywood Studios we only shared busses on the way to the parks with the Grand Floridian, where we stopped after WL and before the park we were headed to. For the return trip to WL busses were shared with Fort Wilderness, but WL always dropped off first. Overall the trip on the bus ( once they arrived) was less than 15-20 minutes to any park. We rode the bus from POP to MK and found it to be very similar.

We enjoyed having other transportation options too, despite the busses being the fastest. We would sometimes take the boat to the Contemporary to catch the monorail then would head to Epcot or MK just like Contemporary guests. While longer than the bus it provided variety, and a chance to see different places on the way. We LOVE the location and views on Bay lake, and can't wait to go back next September.

Feel free to follow up with any other questions you may have.

Hi, and thanks for reading and mentioning that you enjoyed our report. We found the busses to be not bad at all. For Epcot and Hollywood Studios we only shared busses on the way to the parks with the Grand Floridian, where we stopped after WL and before the park we were headed to. For the return trip to WL busses were shared with Fort Wilderness, but WL always dropped off first. Overall the trip on the bus ( once they arrived) was less than 15-20 minutes to any park. We rode the bus from POP to MK and found it to be very similar.

We enjoyed having other transportation options too, despite the busses being the fastest. We would sometimes take the boat to the Contemporary to catch the monorail then would head to Epcot or MK just like Contemporary guests. While longer than the bus it provided variety, and a chance to see different places on the way. We LOVE the location and views on Bay lake, and can't wait to go back next September.

Feel free to follow up with any other questions you may have.

Thank you! We'd be there during the crazy Star Wars weekends and just making one stop before heading to DHS doesn't sound all that terrible. I had visions of stopping at all of the MK resorts before heading to a park...thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter