Selling your points -- I don't get it when...

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
You sell direct points you got at a great price before they shot up in price, then you repurchase resale years later, for more money, and without all the benefits.....

or

You sell your DVC, then you stay on property, where even Pop Century is more expensive than what you'd be paying for your DVC dues (oh, and add parking to that!) for probably a 1-bedroom.

My favorite part of DVC is the lack of hotel bill at the end of the trip!

I can see if someone lost a job or had other financial calamity hit, but other than that....

Mom and I drove to WDW for every trip for several years. I'd allow plenty of travel time in case of bad weather, road congestion, and so forth. We'd often stay the first night either off site, or at Pop Century, when we got to Orlando early. Now that Mom is gone, I usually fly, as it is just as cheap as driving cross country for 1 person. I haven't driven to WDW for at least two years. And most of my friends are uhhh....of a certain age...and we're flying more often even as a group.

But I certainly wouldn't sell my membership if I planned to still have WDW as part of my regular travel plans. Everything onsite has gotten pretty pricey.

I am selling grandfathered resale points bought on the cheap in 2006. But we have other points to use so we are just downsizing from 650 to 450. We also bought and resold a 100 point AKV because we needed the money at that time and we made money off that (sold for $15pp more than we paid) and we could still book AKV at 7 months out with our other points. A couple years later we added on a resale at BWV and then small direct at CCV when our finances were better. And now we are selling again. Will make money again (selling for $16pp more than we paid) but we don't need the money this time. We just don't care to go to WDW 3-4 times a year anymore. Have become really disenchanted with Disney actually. Once a year might be too much now. But that is the latest plan. One F&W trip (thank goodness now for the 255 BWV points we have) a year and a short HHI trip every now and again.

I am selling grandfathered resale points bought on the cheap in 2006. But we have other points to use so we are just downsizing from 650 to 450. We also bought and resold a 100 point AKV because we needed the money at that time and we made money off that (sold for $15pp more than we paid) and we could still book AKV at 7 months out with our other points. A couple years later we added on a resale at BWV and then small direct at CCV when our finances were better. And now we are selling again. Will make money again (selling for $16pp more than we paid) but we don't need the money this time. We just don't care to go to WDW 3-4 times a year anymore. Have become really disenchanted with Disney actually. Once a year might be too much now. But that is the latest plan. One F&W trip (thank goodness now for the 255 BWV points we have) a year and a short HHI trip every now and again.

Yes, I can imagine downsizing if you had that many points! We only have about 200, so they go quickly every year.

You sell direct points you got at a great price before they shot up in price, then you repurchase resale years later, for more money, and without all the benefits.....

or

You sell your DVC, then you stay on property, where even Pop Century is more expensive than what you'd be paying for your DVC dues (oh, and add parking to that!) for probably a 1-bedroom.

My favorite part of DVC is the lack of hotel bill at the end of the trip!

I can see if someone lost a job or had other financial calamity hit, but other than that....
Unless we encountered dire financial straits, our points aren't going anywhere. I had thought of selling our 60 pt BCV because we don't use it, but renting the points works well for now, and it's nice to have that back-up just in case :-)

Last edited:
We thought renting would be good for us too and rented out some extra points this year but then discovered you have to claim on taxes and it complicates the doing TurboTax from home. So we will just sell. We had hoped to buy enough to do like 8 weeks of winter in WDW after DH retired. But lost interest in that. For all the $$$ that would cost we'd rather buy a vacation condo in the south somewhere. DH is thinking Tampa area and I am thinking Hilton Head.

We thought renting would be good for us too and rented out some extra points this year but then discovered you have to claim on taxes and it complicates the doing TurboTax from home. So we will just sell. We had hoped to buy enough to do like 8 weeks of winter in WDW after DH retired. But lost interest in that. For all the $$$ that would cost we'd rather buy a vacation condo in the south somewhere. DH is thinking Tampa area and I am thinking Hilton Head.
I'd stay away from being right on the coast due to hurricanes. I'd try for Orlando, or something more inland.

Yeah, I haven't rented out my DVC, but I have to have a CPA do my taxes anyway since I have rental properties. So renting my DVC wouldn't have the same impact...just a little more $ to the CPA.

It's quite possible to get "sick" of WDW after years of visits where one trip blends into another and you find yourself in a vacation "Groundhog Day" scenario. Divorce and changes in family or job situations also contribute to this. But it is also quite possible to rediscover the passion for Disney after several years away, so buying DVC in round two starts to make sense again. So I get why people would be out and then back in after awhile. And if you account for the money received from the original sale of your contracts as part of the "buy in" for part two, it's not that much of a difference anyway.

It's quite possible to get "sick" of WDW after years of visits where one trip blends into another and you find yourself in a vacation "Groundhog Day" scenario. Divorce and changes in family or job situations also contribute to this. But it is also quite possible to rediscover the passion for Disney after several years away, so buying DVC in round two starts to make sense again. So I get why people would be out and then back in after awhile. And if you account for the money received from the original sale of your contracts as part of the "buy in" for part two, it's not that much of a difference anyway.

But you lose so much this way! To make it sensible today you would need to buy resale.

We love DVC perks. I would never want to go backward.

Divorce and changes in family or job situations

I believe these things happen to lots of people, add to that college/university bills. Life happens. I sold a BLT contract a few years ago that I had bought for $112/pt. I could kick myself now, but I was going through marriage breakdown, lawyer bills and kids in college. In my mind I needed the money. Fortunately I got custody of the rest of the points, for a price.

But you lose so much this way! To make it sensible today you would need to buy resale.

We love DVC perks. I would never want to go backward.

You are definitely right, the best "value" in DVC points today are those who bought years ago and held on. But for those who did sell, for whatever reason, and later reconsidered and wanted back in, the choices are somewhat limited.

We are considering selling because we can make a great profit on ours. We've owned for 9 years and taken many many trips. Kids are older and coming from the west coast we can't always make it work every year. Our kids are getting heavily involved in their activities which requires its own travel. There's also other things we want to do and places we want to see as well. Our Disney trips went from every year to every other year to now likely every 4 to 5 years.

Selling would clear up some debts and give our savings an extra boost. If we want to go back we can rent points for cheaper than we had paid dues for the 4-5 years.

Renting out our own points can be difficult with both the IRS and CRA wanting their cut. I dont want to deal with that.

We are still evaluating our options but essentially, if we sold, DVC gave us almost a decade of wonderful vacations and will allow us to turn a profit. We couldn't have asked for more.

Yes, I can imagine downsizing if you had that many points! We only have about 200, so they go quickly every year.

We have 150 - but with kids gone and WDW not being a yearly destination for us (we just got back from Africa, we are heading to Australia this Summer, and London in the Fall - somehow there is no vacation time for Disney - I don't get why everyone doesn't sell their DVC points to go to Africa and London - the real thing turns out to be so much better) we are down to:

1) Maybe we (or my college age daughter) will use the points for WDW
2) Snowbird for a few weeks from HHI (my husband can work anywhere there is internet) - but if we do that, its cheaper to rent something that will allow the dog.
3) Rent points out
4) Sell them

Plus, with just the two of us now, we can book hotel rooms on or off property. And I'm one of those weirdos who likes it when housekeeping makes up my room every day
So far, we are holding onto them. We are doing the HHI thing next, then we will make the decision again.

Life changes and not everyone's priority is Disney World

We bought really cheap contracts in 2011 and 2013. Sold them both to make a substantial profit and repurchased the new resorts with longer end dates ( VGF and CCV). Our profits helped reduce the buy in for these new resorts . Plus we kept our original investments. So, selling our resales was a win, win situation.

We have 150 - but with kids gone and WDW not being a yearly destination for us (we just got back from Africa, we are heading to Australia this Summer, and London in the Fall - somehow there is no vacation time for Disney - I don't get why everyone doesn't sell their DVC points to go to Africa and London - the real thing turns out to be so much better) we are down to:

1) Maybe we (or my college age daughter) will use the points for WDW
2) Snowbird for a few weeks from HHI (my husband can work anywhere there is internet) - but if we do that, its cheaper to rent something that will allow the dog.
3) Rent points out
4) Sell them

Plus, with just the two of us now, we can book hotel rooms on or off property. And I'm one of those weirdos who likes it when housekeeping makes up my room every day
So far, we are holding onto them. We are doing the HHI thing next, then we will make the decision again.

Life changes and not everyone's priority is Disney World

From thinking about your past posts, this doesn't surprise me. You've never been all that into Disney, which is fine. Very cool to be able to do all the international traveling you are doing now.

I am more thinking of people who sell, but keep going to WDW, and paying those incredible room prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter