Selling something you got for free/as a gift from someone

We had a similar instance with a car several years ago so I get it. It's a really crappy feeling when you find out you've been lied to. I learned my lesson the hard way and no longer trust anyone when I sell/give things away.

We had a car for sale in our yard for $1,200 which was slightly under KBB value, and fair. We had a man stop the first day and kept trying to barter with us. He'd give us $500 plus a nice grill, or whatever other things he could think of. I kept saying no, but he was persistent and kept coming back, "finding" a little more money at home. He had given us this sob story about his sister who was a single mom to 3 kids and needed a vehicle to get to work, and he was trying to buy the car for her. Finally we gave in and sold it to him for $1,000.

2 days later we found it parked by the road of a local grocery store, a mile away, he had spray painted a couple of blemishes and listed it for sale for $2300! Which was way over fair price anyway. But my hubby was so angry, he took the guys number off the window of the car and signed him up for ALL kinds of robo call stuff... It may have been petty, but it made him feel better about it!

Also, I disagree with people who are saying she probably needed the money anyway, like it's a way to justify it. Imo, It's no better than stealing when you are lying to get things for free and then turning around and selling them.

I gave a co-worker a brand new lift-chair, television and bedroom furniture to use for her mother in a personal care home (she was terminally ill) with the stipulation that I wanted it back when she was done with it - you guessed it, she immediately sold it, her mother never used it.

One time an elderly couple bargained hard for a washer dryer I was selling. I think I ended up selling both for like $50. Their adult children came to help them move it out, and when they saw what it was, they started complaining, 'mom and dad, I can't believe you bought another W/D, where are you going to put it??' Apparently they were hoarders. My parents sold a nice car super cheap to a relative they felt sorry for, who then turned around and sold it for a profit. I can list many more personal examples.

I've gotten to the point where I mostly give stuff away, and once it leaves my house, I don't care what happens to it. If people want to sell something good for them, they must need the money more than I do. I usually donate to charity shops and they can make the profit. Not worth the aggravation for me.

I gave a co-worker a brand new lift-chair, television and bedroom furniture to use for her mother in a personal care home (she was terminally ill) with the stipulation that I wanted it back when she was done with it - you guessed it, she immediately sold it, her mother never used it.
I once gave someone all of my maternity clothing (she asked me to lend to her). I told her I wanted it back. Later she says, 'oh I hope you don't mind, I donated all your clothing to X charity'. I was really upset, but I learned my lesson. I only lend things I do not expect to get back. Quite often, you don't get them back.

I once lent someone a book and saw it at their next garage sale. Hardcover, too. Wow, this thread is bringing back lots of memories!

Everyone I know that sells stuff in facebook groups (myself included) has had someone give a sob story to get stuff free or cheap and then later realize it wasn't true. Since you've already reported her to the group I'd just move on and not think about it. Not worth any more of your time or emotional energy (plus you really can't do anything about it anyway).

It’s hard when people do that. I’ve learned not to respond to those hard luck pleas just because you hear of so many of them being scams. When I want to just give something away and know it’s something they can’t take at goodwill, I either put it on the curb and do a curb alert with no holds or post for $1. That $1 seems to keeps most of the scammers away - I guess they just can’t bear to pay for anything.

The worst though was when I posted some items would be curbside for free after a yard sale (boxes and boxes of stuff - clothing and furniture and toys and household goods) and someone reported me for having a scam listing and every time I reposted they’d report it again. I guess they wanted it all so bad they didn’t want anyone else to see the listing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!