Selling and taxes

kshark1958

Mouseketeer
If I do choose to sell my DVC membership. Besides the commission to the company selling my DVC will I also have to pay federal or some kind of state taxes since I will be making a profit when I sell it.

Possibly. That's really a question for your own tax advisor, since it will depend on a lot of factors including your state and the whole of your tax scenario.

In general you might pay tax on the difference between what you paid for it and what you sold it for. The capital gains tax rate is now zero for up to somewhere around $75,000 in capital gains. But this would not apply for state taxes. It is worth asking a CPA, who can give you a real answer.

Last edited:
You can adjust your cost basis based on the capital improvements included in your annual dues.

The official answer is consult your tax advisor. However, what I can say is that when you sell a DVC contract you will receive a 1099 for the sale price net of expenses. That amount will need to be reported on your tax return and your tax advisor can instruct you on the various legal ways to mitigate that amount.

I sold my Aulani DVC last summer and Hawaii took out almost $500 of my net proceeds. I guess I'll have to file taxes in HI? I do have a tax guy who I will ask too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter