Seeking Disneyland Honeymoon advice and tips

Rey Del Suicide

Earning My Ears
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, I looked at the Wedding/Honeymoon forums and saw it was pretty much all WDW.

I was wondering if anyone had some tips or advice on a how to make our Disney Honeymoon more magical. Our 7 year old son will be with us as well. We are going in early October and staying at GC for 5 nights w/ a 3 day park hopper pass and tickets for Oogie Boogie’s Bash. I have been looking into The Fantasmic Dinning at Blue Bayou, in room celebrations, are there ways to get a room upgrades? And from there I just cannot think of anything else to make the stay more memorable for my bride to be. I vowed to give this woman the world and figured I’d start at Disneyland. Any info would be highly appreciated, thank you all in advance!

World of Color Dessert Party would be an amazing treat for you guys! It's seriously the best way to watch WoC.

As for room upgrades, we've booked standard rooms before and were granted some pixie dust with a woods/courtyard upgrade. I've also been upgraded to a pool view from woods/courtyard (normally I'd decline since I prefer the woods/courtyard views, but we were exhausted and wanted a room). We never asked for the upgrades, they were just offered. I'd mention it's your honeymoon and hopefully they will bestow some pixie dust on you. :wizard:

It might be corny but I love doing the Afternoon Tea at the Hotel. October would have some fun Halloween themed treats. My kids (1G, 2B) all love it there so it's not just a girly thing. It does book up pretty quick at 60 days out so you'd want to get to it that day. Usually runs Fri-Sun but I've seen them offer on occasional Thursdays.

World of Color Dessert Party would be an amazing treat for you guys! It's seriously the best way to watch WoC.

As for room upgrades, we've booked standard rooms before and were granted some pixie dust with a woods/courtyard upgrade. I've also been upgraded to a pool view from woods/courtyard (normally I'd decline since I prefer the woods/courtyard views, but we were exhausted and wanted a room). We never asked for the upgrades, they were just offered. I'd mention it's your honeymoon and hopefully they will bestow some pixie dust on you. :wizard:

Thank you for suggesting this, I have been thinking about doing the dessert party but not sure about the menu. It’s not classic desserts. Are the desserts any good? Or is it all about the seating?

It might be corny but I love doing the Afternoon Tea at the Hotel. October would have some fun Halloween themed treats. My kids (1G, 2B) all love it there so it's not just a girly thing. It does book up pretty quick at 60 days out so you'd want to get to it that day. Usually runs Fri-Sun but I've seen them offer on occasional Thursdays.

Thank you! I will look into this more!

Thank you for suggesting this, I have been thinking about doing the dessert party but not sure about the menu. It’s not classic desserts. Are the desserts any good? Or is it all about the seating?
I really liked the desserts. They were slightly unique, but I found them tasty. When we went there was a raspberry filled iced shortbread cookie that was really good. I believe there was also a coconut macaroon, a mini macaron, a cup filled with some sort of custard/cream, and a mini chocolate cake/cookie. There were also grapes and two kinds of cheese (along with a bread basket). You can have 2 alcoholic beverages -- ours were sparkling wine or a blue vodka drink. I opted for sparkling wine. They will also give you unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. The wait staff was SO attentive and kind.

But yes, the real draw were the seats. It was nice to be able to relax our feet after a long day at the parks and watch the show.

I really liked the desserts. They were slightly unique, but I found them tasty. When we went there was a raspberry filled iced shortbread cookie that was really good. I believe there was also a coconut macaroon, a mini macaron, a cup filled with some sort of custard/cream, and a mini chocolate cake/cookie. There were also grapes and two kinds of cheese (along with a bread basket). You can have 2 alcoholic beverages -- ours were sparkling wine or a blue vodka drink. I opted for sparkling wine. They will also give you unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. The wait staff was SO attentive and kind.

But yes, the real draw were the seats. It was nice to be able to relax our feet after a long day at the parks and watch the show.

Correct me if I am wrong but the 2 alcoholic drinks are included in the price? I might just book this one and let it be a surprise.

We went for our honeymoon in 2003 and stayed in DLH. We were upgraded to a park view with a balcony when we mentioned we were excited that this was our first stop for our honeymoon. The room was also available at 7-30am which was an added bonus (never been through LAX as quickly since lol).
Upgrades will always depend on availability and the cast member of course. Whenever I’ve received upgrades, happened a few times on that trip :), I’ve never asked for one, just been polite and engaging the cast member is your best shot.
You could also do an add on tour like Walk in Walt’s footstep or the Gran Circle Tour for an added special treat.
Have a great trip.
All the best.

Correct me if I am wrong but the 2 alcoholic drinks are included in the price? I might just book this one and let it be a surprise.
Yes, the two alcoholic drinks are included. We found the dessert, fruit, cheese and bread basket to be a great late night light meal after having only an early quick service dinner in the late afternoon.

I don't know what you have in mind for dining, or how fancy you want to go. With a 7 y.o. kiddo, he might not appreciate fine dining! Maybe you could get a sitter service one of the evenings and have dinner downstairs at Napa Rose? or you could plan a special meal at Steakhouse 55, more of a retro fine steakhouse place over at the DLH. In the parks, Carthay Circle is also awesome. You could do a character breakfast for DS's sake; Plaza Inn in the park, Goofy's Kitchen at DLH, or Storyteller's Cafe in the GCH.

If you've never done Blue Bayou, that is pretty cool, too, although most people seem to think it's the atmosphere, and the food and service can be hit or miss. Personally I've dined there every trip and always had good food and service. Plus, I love sitting on the waterside looking out at the dusky "bayou" while PotC riders drift by (and sometimes call out for us to throw rolls). My favorite way to do BB is to book the earliest lunch reservation at 11:30 a.m. Check in at the podium 15 minutes early and request waterside; you are virtually guaranteed to get waterside with no wait. You need to book right at 60 days out from the day you want, though.

As far as GCH, which is gorgeous-- great choice for a honeymoon!-- what time of day are you checking in? Local lore suggests that the earlier you check in, the better your chances of a free upgrade to your room. You might even want to call them up ahead of time and let them know it's your honeymoon-- you'll have your 7 year old with you-- and you would love it if any free upgrades are available. They upgraded us to a courtyard view. Also sometimes they will leave treats or extra pixie dust in your room for you.

Oh, one other GCH fun thing that I discovered. Don't know if you have a song, esp. a Disney song, that is significant to the two of you. In the beautiful cavernous lobby, they often have a live pianist playing. When DH and I were there last, we were taking an evening break there, enjoying the playing while lounging in the leather couches. On a hunch I got up and went to the pianist, who smiled at me questioningly, and I asked, "Does it have to be Disney?" "No, not at all," he replied. I asked him to play "our" song, which is Johnny Mathis' "Misty" and he neatly segued into it for us. It was so sweet!

We went with our 7yo girl for our 1st anniversary to the GCH. I noted that it was our first in our reservation. When we got to the room, there were rose petals, swan towels arranged in a heart shape, and candy. It was a lovely surprise. We had already requested a woods courtyard view that was pretty great. We were very pleased with our first stay there.

Last edited:
We went for our first anniversary and did the WoC DP (HIGHLY recommend this! Desserts yummy and worked as a late meal for us) and the Blue Bayou Fantasmic package. Ask at check in for an upgrade. Be polite and mention your honeymoon, the worst they can say is “no”. As an former podcaster used to say “they can’t hit you”
If you really want to splurge you could get a cabana for a half day at the pool before the Halloween party (sounds like you’re not doing a park that day)
My personal favorite thing on vacation is cake for breakfast so I suggest a honeymoon cake ordered to the room. The design options the last time I ordered were a little limited but the flavor choices were expanded and it’s a lot of fun! (Plus again - cake for breakfast: where’s the bad?)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Sorry for the long post but I have to reply to a few people.

As far as GCH, which is gorgeous-- great choice for a honeymoon!-- what time of day are you checking in? Local lore suggests that the earlier you check in, the better your chances of a free upgrade to your room. You might even want to call them up ahead of time and let them know it's your honeymoon-- you'll have your 7 year old with you-- and you would love it if any free upgrades are available. They upgraded us to a courtyard view. Also sometimes they will leave treats or extra pixie dust in your room for you.

Oh, one other GCH fun thing that I discovered. Don't know if you have a song, esp. a Disney song, that is significant to the two of you. In the beautiful cavernous lobby, they often have a live pianist playing. When DH and I were there last, we were taking an evening break there, enjoying the playing while lounging in the leather couches. On a hunch I got up and went to the pianist, who smiled at me questioningly, and I asked, "Does it have to be Disney?" "No, not at all," he replied. I asked him to play "our" song, which is Johnny Mathis' "Misty" and he neatly segued into it for us. It was so sweet!

We love GCH we stayed there a couple of years ago and we both absolutely loved this hotel. So when we started planning everything we already knew what resort we are staying at. Yes, I’ve heard that the best way to get upgrades is to: check in early and be personable. Over the year past year I have been on the phone with cast members a few times to ask questions, make payments and so on and I know that they have it noted in their system that we are celebrating our honeymoon so hopefully we will get some pixie dust our way... And for good measure I may have her wear her vail. Lol

And I love the idea of having the piano player our song. That is one thing I will definitely do! Thank again!!

We went with our 7yo girl for our 1st anniversary to the GCH. I noted that it was our first in our reservation. When we got to the room, there were rose petals, swan towels arranged in a heart shape, and candy. It was a lovely surprise. We had already requested a woods courtyard view that was pretty great. We were very pleased with our first stay there.

That’s awesome that Disney included candy, I’m sure your daughter enjoyed it to be included. Thats the Disney level of service we all know and love!

If you really want to splurge you could get a cabana for a half day at the pool before the Halloween party (sounds like you’re not doing a park that day)

I will look into this. But I think she was hoping for her “Beach Day” to be that morning.

Again thank you everyone for your help!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Sorry for the long post but I have to reply to a few people.

We love GCH we stayed there a couple of years ago and we both absolutely loved this hotel. So when we started planning everything we already knew what resort we are staying at. Yes, I’ve heard that the best way to get upgrades is to: check in early and be personable. Over the year past year I have been on the phone with cast members a few times to ask questions, make payments and so on and I know that they have it noted in their system that we are celebrating our honeymoon so hopefully we will get some pixie dust our way... And for good measure I may have her wear her vail. Lol

And I love the idea of having the piano player our song. That is one thing I will definitely do! Thank again!!

That’s awesome that Disney included candy, I’m sure your daughter enjoyed it to be included. Thats the Disney level of service we all know and love!

I will look into this. But I think she was hoping for her “Beach Day” to be that morning.

Again thank you everyone for your help!

On our second to last trip I was walking through the lobby wearing my birthday button and the piano player spotted it and started playing "Happy Birthday." I was exhausted (we'd been up at 05:00 to change hotels and our DVC room was late being ready and I was heading to the chair my husband had finally managed to find so that I could sit on the arm and at least kinda get off my feet (the lobby was under construction and as a result all the seating was PACKED) it took a few moments for it to sink in what was happening and that it was for me but it put a big smile on my face despite my exhaustion so I know the piano players are top notch and really reactive to the people around I'm sure if they know it they'd happily play "your" song.

No new questions at this time really. Just was looking to get fresh eyes just in case anyone had more ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter