Seed Starters...who are you and what do you grow?

WebmasterPete

Grand Administrator
I've always enjoyed starting my garden from seed. This year, I'm doing Morning Glory's (which are just about to bloom), Celosia, Nasturtium, Mexican Sunflowers, Cactus (I've never been successful at Cactus, but I think this might be the year), Impatiens (I know, they're a dime a dozen at home depot...not sure why I decided to put them to seed this year). I've also started my herb garden from seed, as well as some Statice and Viola's. So, do we have any other 'seed starters ' out there?

I have 6 different varieties of morning glories under the grow light. In addition I have some yellow hollyhocks that a good friend;) sent me. In the ground I am starting 3 varieties of sunflowers, 2 varieties of nastursium (SP?) and I have some painted daisies that i am experimenting with.
The sunflowers seem to get eaten by the squirrels before they have a chance to grow so I put milk crates over them to see if I can save them this year.
Like Pete, I am trying some cactus by seeds. I found the seeds at a farm store in rural Indiana and am excited about giving them a try.

I have my flats under a grow light in the laundry room. I found the kittens had dug thru 2 of my flats so now I keep the door closed and hope I havent lost what was in them.

I start all my vegetables from seed except eggplants (do not have good luck starting them). The tomatoes and peppers (hot and sweet) are started in the house under grow lights, the rest are planted in the ground in May. I grow Corn, Beans (waxed, green and pole) Squash (zucchini and summer) Beets, Carrots, Lettuce, Celery (this I also buy started) Chard, Cukes and radishes.

I do start some flowers seeds out side too. Morning glories, Zinnas and Sunflowers. The rest I purchase in flats.

I used to be a loyal seed starter, for my perenials and vegetables. Since we moved to this house, I lost the veggie garden and my flower garden has shrunk considerably. I just don't need all the plants I would grow if I started seeds. So as a result, I find it more pratical to just buy them from my local nursery. The only thing I have been known to still start from seed is Zinnia's. I love Zinnia's. They are a true summer flower to me. :) I love mixing them with Bachelor Button's. The effect is very cool.

such a short growing season......that we decided to buy them at least six to eight inches tall.......Also we don't use any pesticide outside so that if the kids go out there and pull a small cuke off the vine they can eat it .......This is the best thing for kids......they learn so much from having a garden.......We also start our box flowers that are next to the house.....we did have good luck with pansies....also petunias are hardy for sun areas.......the petunias smell so good at night after the sun goes down.......One year we did four o clocks .....and you had to go out after dark to see them opened up.......those were weird.......but fun.........

OK you guys better not lol at me. This year is my first one gardening..I am a citty girl born and bread, this is my first effort so I want to do it right...or as close to right a I can. ;)

Ok so this is what I am starting inside. Marigolds,Nasturtium, sunflower, purple coneflowers, Artic Fire Dianthus,Shasta Daisies, Coreopsis, forget me nots, Cosmos, Celosia, Tithonia, Alyssum,Hollyhock, Lupine, foxglove, columbine.

I figure that if I do a lot of them something has got to grow. So, I know you guys are giggling at me..be nice :)

My daughter Sarah (3) planted her first morning glories on Saturday and she's checked 8 times to see if they've come up yet.

I bought several seed envelopes at the store this morning. I think I'm going to let Sarah plant her own little garden in the back yard.

I always start my own tomatoes... for two reasons 1) I like specific varieties that are not offered up at most nursery's (heirloom Brandywine, and a hybrid Super Fantastics) and 2) I like to get much longer growing season... so I start them very early and then put them out incredibly early (by normal standards) using wall of waters and some other "magic" tricks! The result is I get what I want... and earlier and longer than I would if I purchased the plants. Occassionally, I will start other vegetable/fruits (like watermelon when I grow it) otherwise, the other tender vegetable plants (peppers, eggplants, etc) I just purchase from local nurseries... as they offer varieties that meet my needs and they produce quickly enough. The rest of veggies are direct seeded.

In the flower arena, this year I have started seeds indoors for some vineless morning glories that a friend gave me ;) , and a WHOLE bunch of annuals to fill in my newest garden beds that I am currently building. In the seed flats I have:

Salpiglosis (this is a wonderful plant that my mother ALWAYS grew)
Love Lies Bleeding (amaranthus)
Larkspur
Blue Bedder Salvia (to be planted intermixed with a lower growing red verbena)
Impatiens for a very shady area

The rest are perennials that I have ordered from Wayside gardens or High Country Gardens.

I've just grown herbs from seeds. This year I'm also doing a few varieties of leaf lettuce and zucchini. I figure I can't go wrong with zucchini. Have you ever known anyone who didn't have enough? :D

This year I'm starting 2 varieties of Cosmos, Lemon Marigold (small flower head with one row of petals), & a small variety of sun flower in the house. Out side I'll plant in the garden nasturtium, bush beans & patty pan squash.

I start my seeds in my basement under flourescent lights with a timer.

This year I had very fast germination. I just started them on Sunday & 3 of the 4 are coming up already. Maybe it's the 90 degree weather in CT.

We're big seed starters here. DH does the veggies and I do the flowers. So far we have kitchn herbs, decorative grasses,sunflowers tall and short, morning glories,marigolds, forget-me-nots and a mystery plant that DS started in school. Also lots of petunias from last years seeds and cuttings from scented geranmiums again from last year. I get at least one weird seed packet. Last year it was decorative gourds and the great pumpkin. I had the strangest looking gourds and giant pumpkins.

i always do my vegtables from seeds. tomatoes, squash,okra,different varieties of peppers, cucumbers, corn, beans, turnip greens,and watermelons.
-goofyman

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter