Second class members (resale)

Mike valera

Earning My Ears
Why does Disney treat resale members like second class members? We pay the same per point for maintenance fees and with out them they would have to make them even higher and may price even more people out. Same price for dues should get same benefits! Its not like they would buy back all they resale them selves 50 years is a long time for them to think nobody will need to sell !

Remember, part of it is a marketing tool to encourage people to buy direct. If you read the contracts, benefits that come with the "blue card" are not guaranteed for anyone, which is why they have been able to put in the restrictions on the points.

In terms of dues, those would not change, because it is based on the number of points at the resort. Once those have been declared, they can't add or take away points, so having the resale restrictions and a different set of owners will play no role in this.

Disney wants people to want to own forever and yes, it is not necessarily realistic, resale value is not there concern. The good news is that people who buy resale do save a substantial amount of money and much of that can offset the savings you get from owning direct points or grandfathered resale points.

Of course, if one really wants them, Disney does allow you to buy 100 qualified points.

Timeshares are timeshares and in comparison to most, I still think even with restrictions, people buying a DVC resort resale, gets a good value for the product.

Thank you I agree I got twice as many points resale and very happy ! Just saying your biggest expense over time is dues and to be told your not allowed to do somethings is a little frustrating? This is just a observation that dvc should take into consideration.

Just saying your biggest expense over time is dues and to be told your not allowed to do somethings is a little frustrating?

All the information is readily available while thoroughly researching before buying. No one should be telling you you can’t do something; you should have already known it.

They want people to buy direct. So they sweeten the deal so people pay more upfront.

Thank you I agree I got twice as many points resale and very happy ! Just saying your biggest expense over time is dues and to be told your not allowed to do somethings is a little frustrating? This is just a observation that dvc should take into consideration.

I'm surprised no one has said it yet. Dues only cover the cost associated with the resort you own. The extras come out of Disney's pocket as promotional costs.

Full disclosure I have both resale and direct points.

Why does Disney treat resale members like second class members? We pay the same per point for maintenance fees and with out them they would have to make them even higher and may price even more people out. Same price for dues should get same benefits! Its not like they would buy back all they resale them selves 50 years is a long time for them to think nobody will need to sell !
Dues/Maintenance fees pay for property taxes & maintenance, and have nothing to do with benefits. Think of it as buying a home directly from a builder, who offers you "free" upgrades. Then your neighbor sells his 2 year old house which similar to yours, but lacking your upgrades. Chances are his house is sold for a lower price than what you paid for yours - do you think the new buyer should ask the builder to install the upgrades like yours, for free?
Like others, we have both direct & resale contracts. Neither purchase method is the perfect fit for everyone in every circumstance, and each has its pros & cons.

why should people buying resale get the same benefits as people paying full price?

why should people buying resale get the same benefits as people paying full price?
At some point in time someone paid full price for those points. If the original owner has those points for 50 years DVC has no problem giving them perks. But if you sell those points, even if it is a price higher than they originally sold for, no benefits for you. Doesn’t make much sense. I understand they want you to buy direct. Not everyone can hold onto these points for 50 years. I own both resale and directs.

Because it’s real estate. Why should a developer in a subdivision care if homeowners sell? Rather, how can they not expect that?

Resale is at best a little competition for DVC and a great boon for Disney otherwise. Every new resale owner is an enthusiastic purchaser of tickets, food, and trinkets replacing someone who is no longer interested in spending the cash. Disney should embrace resale as a machine for recycling spending enthusiasm.

Except the DVC silo has it in their head that only the developer should ever sell in the neighborhood, and is making policy that is of marginal help to DVC at best, and detrimental to Disney overall.

DVC’s planned attack on resale owners will kill the remaining availability of studios at 7 months, except in DVC’s sole remaining off-season: June-Aug.

This is especially true if DVC doesn’t address Fall Frenzy.

As RIV becomes more and more owned by resale with restrictions, they will book out Fall Frenzy in the 11 month window, forcing direct buyers to do the same, or be left out.

Because the resale buyers know they can’t book elsewhere, they’ll walk a reservation for months if need be to secure a Fall Reservation.

That in turn will send hundreds of direct buyers into other resorts at 7 months, all without reciprocity because there are no RIV studios avail at 7 months.

Maybe RIV alone won’t do that, but in 10 years, they’ll be no functional 7 month window for studios except during the summer.

If demand were equal year round, the problem would be consistent. It’s not, and so, the problem will aggregate towards where the current stresses to the system can be found, and it will overwhelm them.

Restrictions plus Fall Frenzy plus walking is going to kill the 7 month window altogether. Not walking at 7 months, mind you, but walking as a tool at 11 months that will be used by those more committed to the effort to secure a reservation or else. At first that’ll be resale buyers, but eventually all owners at resorts with the new restrictions will learn to walk, or else. Those direct buyers who lose the walking race to more committed resale buyers will flood the 7 month window seeking reservations elsewhere.

Last edited:
It really comes down to how much do you want to pay for potential extra perks.
When we purchased, we went resale both times. By doing that, we knew we were giving up certain options that were available by purchasing direct. For us, it wasn't worth the price difference. For others, it is. This is a decision that must be made each time DVC changes the resale rules.
From Disneys standpoint, they make no money when somebody buyes resale. However, if Disney takes back points at ROFR and then sells at Direct costs, again they make money, if they have someone interested in purchasing. It really is a simple transaction.

I am a 20 year direct owner so I get all the benefits. What concerns me is these resale restrictions could end up devaluing those direct points. The new owners at Riviera are seeing that when they need to sell. If I would sell, the buyer would only get the original 14 resorts. I own at BWV so mine will expire in 2042 but it could hit owners with later expiration dates once the original 2042 resorts are no longer available.

While I understand the nagging feeling of feeling like a 2nd class owner, after 2011/2016/2019, every resale owner signed a contract that states explicitly what you get and what you don't get. It really couldn't be any clearer.

Like most resale owners, you probably did your research and saw savings of about 30-40% off of direct prices, and gladly took that savings, or bought more points. You can't do that and then turn around and play indignant at not getting stuff you were never entitled to. Well, actually you can, but you'll probably come off as a bit... well, entitled.

If you don't want to feel left out, or if you want the warm fuzzy "club" feelings, you're welcome to it. It just comes at a cost. You can take that wad of cash you got in savings by buying resale, and put it towards the magical club feeling that the developers are selling... or not. But don't expend too much more energy more energy feeling cheated. You weren't.

[holds up wad of cash for effect]

Disney is in the business of making money. They want to control the direct sales because that is where they make their profit. The less resales the more direct which they benefit. As for those worried about their “investment” in DVC this is a timeshare and the only benefit you should ever expect is securing rooms with your vacation points. A timeshare is nothing you should ever expect making money on or having it retain its value.

Pretty soon, it will be like 3 tiers with Riviera resale owners only able to book at Riviera, their DVC Membership might be quite cool with Riviera theme in their design tho :)

That Riveria resort looks just too fancy for my taste. I really have no desire to stay at the Grand either. But to each his own. But there are some GREAT points made on this thread that I never considered before. Very interesting read. I never really thought about the devauluation of direct points with the new rescritions, probably because I had resell points when I owned DVC.

This will be very interesting to see how all this plays out from a business stand point in the years to come, owner or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!