• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seaworld San Diego during summer

Candycane83

DIS Veteran
Hi All, we’re planning to go to San Diego this July and we’ve never been. I have pLanned Seaworld for a day out of our 2.5 days. I have not been to Seaworld since I was 7 or 8 years old I think. DH and DS8 has never been. What is not to miss at Seaworld? Do we need the whole day there? Are any of the animal encounters worth it? Do we have to get there early? Any rides that are must do? DS8 likes small coasters but is pretty scared of larger coasters. For reference, he likes Slinky Dog, Mine Train, Test track and Gringotts in Orlando. He didn’t like how Hulk looked and said he wouldn’t ride it 🤣

any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!!

We are local pass holders and go often. I definitely suggest going early. You don't have to rope drop but getting there at opening is always beneficial. It seems the "crowds" get there around lunchtime. There are several rollercoasters there. It sounds like The Emperor & Electric Eel might be too much for DS but Manta & Journey to Atlantis should be right up his alley. There is also a rapids ride which is fun but def. bring ponchos or a change of clothes. The lines build later in the day. Hit the shows & aquariums after rides. The Sesame Street-themed area is fun for younger kids. Your DS will probably still be into it (think teacups & dumbo-like rides). My teens tend to skip that area now so I'm not too sure how crowded it gets. We have never done any of the animal encounters so I also can't speak to them. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to try to answer them. Enjoy!!

You'll need a whole day for sure. Electric Eel and Emporer will be a bit much for DS, Manta and Journey to Atlantis will be great.

Prioritize the Orca Encounter and Dolphin Days. Sitting in the soak zone is a super awesome experience. Whenever I go to sea world, I spend the first half of the day enjoying animal encounters and rides. Dry. I have lunch packed in the car. (The parking lot is right outside the front gate - no need to buy lunch here. They don't let you bring food in.). After lunch, I'll change into an outfit and flip-flops that I'm ok literally getting drenched. Then, I'll ride Journey to Atlantis a few times and ask for the front row - no fear of getting soaked here!

Then I'll do the back-to-back showings of Dolphin Days and Orca encounter - sit in the first 3 rows one section to the left or right of entry at dolphins for maximum soaking! Orca encounter, first 5 rows about halfway between the middle of the amphitheater and the edge. You get a super awesome view of the animals RIGHT THERE and during at least one of the shows you will probably get absolutely drenched. You can also ride shipwreck rapids after the orca encounter if you want to do even more wet rides. No drops on this one, makes it much more family friendly.

If you aren't a soak zone person, I totally get it. Getting absolutely drenched is such a cool experience though and are some of my favorite childhood memories and are still some of the best times at a theme park I have with my family today. Highly recommend packing a change and enjoy the SEA in sea world. Or at least pack a change for half the family and video the chaos from the dry section of the show ;)

The best animal exhibits are the Shark Encounter, the Turtle Reef, and the Arctic Exhibit. The Penguin encounter is also good.

If you can swing it, dine with orcas is awesome. It's pretty reasonably priced, has lots of food options, and is a really cool experience sitting right next to your own private orca show. The only time I like to eat in the park is when our family does this.

Miscellaneous tips:
- Time your rides on the major rides with a big show. Manta's lines are smaller during an orca encounter, and Atlantis is smaller, especially during dolphin days.

- Avoid rides near an amphitheater right after a show gets out. DON'T go straight to Manta or Shipwreck right after orcas gets out - the line will spike for the next 45 minutes or so then die down.

- Be prepared for a slower and different feeling day than a Disney park. Sea World is a very pleasant place to be. Very clean, well landscaped, and overall enjoyable and family-friendly. The crowds are also much, much more spread out here. It's the kind of place where you can show up after park opening, park a 60-second walk from the gate, walk into the park within 10 minutes, and still enjoy all the major sights of the park at a leisurely pace during the height of summer.

- The soak zone will either miss you entirely or soak your whole body. Either you'll sit in a spot where you don't really get splashed, or you'll get hit with 4 or 5 strong splashes. I've been going to this park for 15 years. Always happens this way. Always.

- Don't sit in the soak zone if you aren't ready to actually get soaked!! Especially on busy days at the orca encounter, people will sit towards the top of the soak zone because they think "there's no way the whales will splash all the way up here". Boy are they wrong. I've seen some MASSIVE splashes in my day. Stay out of that soak zone!

- The ampitheaters are giant ovens if you go to the wrong show. It's a bunch of metal seats all facing the same direction. The orca encounter faces North East, the Dolphin Stadium faces basically South. Especially in orca stadium, the earlier you go, the less sun will be beating straight into your face. If you have the option between a late morning and a mid-afternoon showing at orca stadium, the early one will have lower crowds and less sun. This tip has saved my pale skin more than once

That was a lot of random garbage but hope it was helpful!

We are local pass holders and go often. I definitely suggest going early. You don't have to rope drop but getting there at opening is always beneficial. It seems the "crowds" get there around lunchtime. There are several rollercoasters there. It sounds like The Emperor & Electric Eel might be too much for DS but Manta & Journey to Atlantis should be right up his alley. There is also a rapids ride which is fun but def. bring ponchos or a change of clothes. The lines build later in the day. Hit the shows & aquariums after rides. The Sesame Street-themed area is fun for younger kids. Your DS will probably still be into it (think teacups & dumbo-like rides). My teens tend to skip that area now so I'm not too sure how crowded it gets. We have never done any of the animal encounters so I also can't speak to them. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to try to answer them. Enjoy!!
You'll need a whole day for sure. Electric Eel and Emporer will be a bit much for DS, Manta and Journey to Atlantis will be great.

Prioritize the Orca Encounter and Dolphin Days. Sitting in the soak zone is a super awesome experience. Whenever I go to sea world, I spend the first half of the day enjoying animal encounters and rides. Dry. I have lunch packed in the car. (The parking lot is right outside the front gate - no need to buy lunch here. They don't let you bring food in.). After lunch, I'll change into an outfit and flip-flops that I'm ok literally getting drenched. Then, I'll ride Journey to Atlantis a few times and ask for the front row - no fear of getting soaked here!

Then I'll do the back-to-back showings of Dolphin Days and Orca encounter - sit in the first 3 rows one section to the left or right of entry at dolphins for maximum soaking! Orca encounter, first 5 rows about halfway between the middle of the amphitheater and the edge. You get a super awesome view of the animals RIGHT THERE and during at least one of the shows you will probably get absolutely drenched. You can also ride shipwreck rapids after the orca encounter if you want to do even more wet rides. No drops on this one, makes it much more family friendly.

If you aren't a soak zone person, I totally get it. Getting absolutely drenched is such a cool experience though and are some of my favorite childhood memories and are still some of the best times at a theme park I have with my family today. Highly recommend packing a change and enjoy the SEA in sea world. Or at least pack a change for half the family and video the chaos from the dry section of the show ;)

The best animal exhibits are the Shark Encounter, the Turtle Reef, and the Arctic Exhibit. The Penguin encounter is also good.

If you can swing it, dine with orcas is awesome. It's pretty reasonably priced, has lots of food options, and is a really cool experience sitting right next to your own private orca show. The only time I like to eat in the park is when our family does this.

Miscellaneous tips:
- Time your rides on the major rides with a big show. Manta's lines are smaller during an orca encounter, and Atlantis is smaller, especially during dolphin days.

- Avoid rides near an amphitheater right after a show gets out. DON'T go straight to Manta or Shipwreck right after orcas gets out - the line will spike for the next 45 minutes or so then die down.

- Be prepared for a slower and different feeling day than a Disney park. Sea World is a very pleasant place to be. Very clean, well landscaped, and overall enjoyable and family-friendly. The crowds are also much, much more spread out here. It's the kind of place where you can show up after park opening, park a 60-second walk from the gate, walk into the park within 10 minutes, and still enjoy all the major sights of the park at a leisurely pace during the height of summer.

- The soak zone will either miss you entirely or soak your whole body. Either you'll sit in a spot where you don't really get splashed, or you'll get hit with 4 or 5 strong splashes. I've been going to this park for 15 years. Always happens this way. Always.

- Don't sit in the soak zone if you aren't ready to actually get soaked!! Especially on busy days at the orca encounter, people will sit towards the top of the soak zone because they think "there's no way the whales will splash all the way up here". Boy are they wrong. I've seen some MASSIVE splashes in my day. Stay out of that soak zone!

- The ampitheaters are giant ovens if you go to the wrong show. It's a bunch of metal seats all facing the same direction. The orca encounter faces North East, the Dolphin Stadium faces basically South. Especially in orca stadium, the earlier you go, the less sun will be beating straight into your face. If you have the option between a late morning and a mid-afternoon showing at orca stadium, the early one will have lower crowds and less sun. This tip has saved my pale skin more than once

That was a lot of random garbage but hope it was helpful!

thanks a lot! It’s really a lot of great advices! I figured it would mostly be shows and exhibits we would concentrate on. Is there any tours/ up close encounters you would recommend? Where should I start first if we get there at opening time? We’re going in the summer (July) and I know it’s busy but not sure what we should prioritize. We are planning to do dining with orcas with your recommendation! Where else would you recommend for food? (I assume we’ll have lunch and dinner at the park since we’ll be there the whole day. Is there anything happening at nights during summer? Thanks!

Yes, they have a great fireworks display at night during the summer that is well worth watching. The show at the back of the park that I completely forget the name of that they do with the acrobats is very well done too at night. I really like the Calypso bay smokehouse for a meal, but dine with orcas is definitely the standout.

If you get there at opening, ride the big coasters first (electric eel and emperor). If you aren't planning on riding those, honestly you can basically go in whatever order. Maybe start at Manta, but other than that this is the type of park where you can just go at your own pace and enjoy it.

There aren't any tours here that are especially great. Up-close encounters are a bit expensive, but if you're going to do it, go all the way and either do the dolphin in-water or the beluga interaction one. The experiences where you actually get in the water with the animals are the ones that are really memorable and worth the money. The others are just you looking at them from a bit closer than everyone else with an employee answering questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter