• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sean Goldman - UPDATE: "He called me Dad..."

scrump

<font color=royalblue>so the decision has been mad
I didn't see a thread on this, so sorry if there is already one started...

This story is so heartbreaking, I can't bring myself to read or watch too much.

Is anyone else following?

For those who are not familiar with the story, the website is www.bringseanhome.org, and this is the description from a facebook group:

SEAN GOLDMAN - USA - PARENTAL ABDUCTION

David Goldman an American Subject, married Bruna Bianchi Carneiro Ribeiro a Brazilian Subject in Eatontown, New Jersey, USA, on December 17, 1999.

They had a son, Sean Goldman, born in Red Bank, NJ on May 25, 2000.

On June 16, 2004, David drove Bruna, Sean and Bruna's parents to Newark Airport for a planned 2-week vacation to her parent's home in Brazil.

Upon her arrival, she called David Goldman to tell him that their marriage was over, and that she and Sean were not returning to the US and that if David ever wanted to see Sean again he would have to fly to Brazil and sign some legal documents she had prepared signing custody of Sean over to her.

David never signed any documents giving up custody of Sean. David, up until this point, had been under the impression that their home-life was happy and typical of any American family's.

Bruna made no allegations to the contrary, and this is well documented in the court records in both Brazil and the United States.

Although still legally married in the United States, Bruna obtained a divorce in the eyes of Brazil, without the presence or knowledge of David Goldman.

It is understood that Bruna became pregnant and remarried in Brazil within the past year. Bruna married an attorney in Brazil. He works for his father's law firm, a firm that concentrates on "Family Law," particularly international Family Law. The father has even spoken at The Hague regarding child abduction.

On August 22, 2008, Bruna tragically passed away during childbirth. It was assumed that David, being Sean's biological father, and the only other person with a reasonable claim to custody, would be reunited with Sean and return him to their home in the U.S.

Since learning of Bruna's passing, however, all of David's attempts to directly contact Sean or Bruna's family in Brazil have failed.

Bruna's Brazilian husband and parents have denied any contact between Sean and David and have even disobeyed a Federal Court order of visitation without any consequences for this blatant disregard for the law.

David Goldman soon established that Bruna's Brazilian husband did not file for custody of Sean. Instead, he filed to replace David (his biological father) on a birth certificate issued for Sean in Brazil, trying to erase Sean's true paternity.

David Goldman is fighting to regain custody of his son, who needs him more now than ever. David is fighting against people with substantial influence at high levels in the Brazilian judiciary system, government and media.

He has been fighting in the Brazilian courts under The Hague Treaty for 4+ years. All counts of the law under The Hague Treaty as well as Brazilian, US and international law state clearly that this is a case of parental child abduction and that Sean was and still is being retained illegally and should be returned to the US.

For David to regain custody of his son, it is imperative that he has high level support within the government and media of his own country.

David Goldman also needs the world to know of the situation he finds himself in to spread awareness to this tragic case. He needs the citzens of the world to stand behind him and to help him get his child back -- a child that is rightfully his.

This is a travesty of justice by any measure and an affront to human decency.

If you are shocked by this case - you can help David Goldman regain custody of his son by visiting the website www.BringSeanHome.org and reading about how you can help in the effort to bring Sean home.

Please also take the time to send the link to family and friends who may also be interested in helping raise awareness of this case.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION TO HELP REUNITE DAVID AND SEAN http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/return-abducted-minor-sean-goldman-to-his-father

yes, I have been following it for years. I doesn't seem like this dad is ever going to catch a break.

It was awful today. To be so sure it was going to finally be over. And then to have that dashed. I hope he can get reunited with his son while he's still a child.

The latest, according to CNN...

http://www.cnn.com:80/2009/US/06/02/new.jersey.brazil.custody/index.html

Brazilian judge suspends order to reunite boy, American father

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (CNN) -- A Brazilian supreme court judge on Tuesday suspended a lower court's order that would have given custody of a 9-year-old boy to the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro, where he was to be reunited with his American father.

So sad and so strange. I like what the lawyer for the family (which family? The STEPFATHER? The GRANDPARENTS?!?) said:
That prospect sparked outrage from an attorney representing the boy's Brazilian relatives. "The child wasn't heard," lawyer Sergio Tostes said. "The child said many times that he wanted to stay in Brazil. This is not human, and it is a cruelty."

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, *now* it's a CRUELTY? How about when the boy, then all of 4 years old, was taken away from the only home he had ever known? If it is "cruel" now?... well, it was certainly *cruel* then.

agnes!

Heartbreaking...I can barely stand to watch it. I first heard the story on Dateline a while back and immediately signed the petition. I do not know how this has gone on so long....it is cruel to both of them...

The latest, according to CNN...

http://www.cnn.com:80/2009/US/06/02/new.jersey.brazil.custody/index.html

Brazilian judge suspends order to reunite boy, American father

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (CNN) -- A Brazilian supreme court judge on Tuesday suspended a lower court's order that would have given custody of a 9-year-old boy to the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro, where he was to be reunited with his American father.

So sad and so strange. I like what the lawyer for the family (which family? The STEPFATHER? The GRANDPARENTS?!?) said:

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, *now* it's a CRUELTY? How about when the boy, then all of 4 years old, was taken away from the only home he had ever known? If it is "cruel" now?... well, it was certainly *cruel* then.

agnes!

I agree. I am struggling to understand why anyone would argue that Sean should not be with his biological dad, who has never abandoned him, who wants him, and who wants to take care of him. What genuinely well-intentioned family, who has the best interests of the child in mind, prevents him from even seeing his dad (which they apparently have)? I just don't get it...

This is so sad.

This story was profiled on tonight on CNN's Lou Dobbs. Seems as though the Stepfathers family has Lots of money and very powerful in Brazil. The latest Stop has been orchrestrated by a Political party.:sad2:

Also Our own government has did nothing to help this man.:sad2:

this breaks my heart I read about the halt today that happened and I feel for this dad... Sad how corrupt they (Brazil) will be for this case to protect all the other horrible abdution cases it has there. Sickens me. Cuz the longer this lil boy stays with the step family the longer he will not know his real father and be harder for him to connect with him ONCE (im trying to be positive) he is reconnect with his bio dad.

It's a horrible story, but I fully believe that they will be reunited very soon. Good things will start to happen - hang in there, David!

I have been following and this is very sad. I was talking to my daughter about this today and realized that the Elian Gonzalez case was similar and we waited too long to get that child back to his biological Dad too. It took a raid finally to get those maternal relatives to give him back after his Mom died too and the courts said he should be returned. Fortunately not as much time had passed, but it did go on far too long. We can't afford to cast stones at Brazil.

I have been following this story. As someone who has also been abducted by a parent as a child, this absolutely breaks my heart! My 12 year old son has also been watching this on the news and it really bothers him that something like this could be allowed to happen. I just signed the petition. Thanks for providing us with the link.

I have been following and this is very sad. I was talking to my daughter about this today and realized that the Elian Gonzalez case was similar and we waited too long to get that child back to his biological Dad too. It took a raid finally to get those maternal relatives to give him back after his Mom died too and the courts said he should be returned. Fortunately not as much time had passed, but it did go on far too long. We can't afford to cast stones at Brazil.

Elian did belong with his father...but there is no Hauge treaty between us and Cuba. Our country did do what was the right thing in the end..and it went through the courts.

Brazil has signed this treaty..and there are alot more kids in Brazil just like Sean, who's American parent don't have access too.

I hope that if Sean ever gets back with is dad and comes here, that when/if his step-father and any other family memebers that kept him there come here to visit him are prosecuted by our government for kidnapping!

I thought this was very interesting...

I am not familiar with eyelegal, but they seem to be prominent enough that the Brazilian family has invoked a misleading alliance between the two.

I was surprised to read that they are declaring that the Stepfather helped plan the abduction. I suppose given the timeline (the mother Bruna returned to Brazil, divorced David, remarried and got pregnant within a year) it should not be overlooked.

http://www.eyelegal.tk

Brazil, June 01, 2009.

TO: IABA - Inter-American Bar Association
ATT: Executive Committee

We, the Brazilian-based eyeLegal multidisciplinary team of civil rights, acknowledges receipt of the IABA resolution of April 4, 2009, and would like for your organization to consider the following.

We are convinced that Mr. Paulo Lins e Silva drafted or wrote this document, in whole or in part, as well as suggested the tone of the resolution to imply that the IABA sees nothing wrong with the handling of the Goldman case by the Brazilian judiciary.

This resolution is severely flawed.

It is necessary for the IABA to declare formally what is implicitly contained in its resolution, in other words, the denial of the authority of the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, because this is the true rule of law which applies in this case, not the sovereignty of States, nor any other “fundamental principle” of the IABA. This case centers on the issue of human rights for which your organization does not demonstrate any concern whatsoever.

Despite your insinuation that Sean Goldman’s paternity is in question, David Goldman is the biological father of Sean and there has never been any doubt about this fact, except perhaps from the IABA which appears to represent Paulo Lins e Silva versus David Goldman.

This is a disgusting and disrespectful manner in which your organization is treating a human being fighting for his son, his own blood.

We are Brazilian citizens and we do not recognize the IABA as having any interest, power or capacity to pronounce anything about the Brazilian judiciary or the Goldman case. Children must be reunited with their parents and the son of your colleague is nothing to this boy.

In truth, we now have in progress a legal maneuver to revoke the Hague Convention in Brazil. It is an action declaring the Hague Convention unconstitutional at our Supreme Court with the aim to suspend the application of the Hague Convention in Brazil.

The Lins e Silva are not telling the truth, and the Brazilian judiciary is not a model of exemption as you state, “… which has the constitutional authority, competence and jurisdiction necessary to render such a decision …”.

The American boy must be returned to his father in the USA, and the correct jurisdiction is New Jersey, where the boy lived before his abduction. The child is not Brazilian nor a double national, because he still cannot opt for this condition, if applicable, and his legal representative is his father, without exploring this issue in more depth.

Today, we are witnessing in Brazil a fraudulent industry of family law. Our judiciary delays and delays the court proceedings to create a very difficult problem and segregate children from their families. This is what is happening to Mr. David Goldman.

This process is a fraud and Mr. Lins e Silva is caught squarely in the middle of all of this.

Everything indicates that the Lins e Silva law firm helped plan the abduction of this minor child from the USA.

Felipe Costa
Project Director
eyeLegal Team
Global Network for Civil Rights
Membership is open to common citizens in all countri

I have been following this story. As someone who has also been abducted by a parent as a child, this absolutely breaks my heart! My 12 year old son has also been watching this on the news and it really bothers him that something like this could be allowed to happen. I just signed the petition. Thanks for providing us with the link.

:eek:Oh my goodness...I can't even begin to imagine your experience...I would definately think your experience would lead you to advocate for these scenarios.
:hug:

I have been following this case and it is heartbreaking. I hope the father can be reunited with his father...

Is Paulo Lins e Silva (the stepfather who has no legal right to the minor child Sean Goldman) still a member of the American Bar Association? If so, I think his membership should be revoked along with any licenses to practice law in the US that he might hold.

agnes!
PS - I was wondering...is it possible that the grandparents and the stepfather are anti-Semitic? The surname "Goldman" is familiar to me as a Jewish name...

Ive been following thise on and off. Im guessing that Sean's inlaws are still in Brazil right? Or did they come back to the states? I cant remember if I read that or not.

Ive been following thise on and off. Im guessing that Sean's inlaws are still in Brazil right? Or did they come back to the states? I cant remember if I read that or not.

My understanding is that Sean is being cared for by his maternal grandmother and his stepfather in Brazil (mother died giving birth to Sean's half sister).

David Goldman, Sean's biological father lives in New Jersey. He has been fighting to gain custody of Sean for the past four? five? years after his wife took him as a two year old to Brazil without David's knowledge.

My stomach was turning as I read the first letter. Silvana's letter strikes me as manipulative and frankly, crazy. How can she claim Sean as her own son over David? My grandmother had to take care of my cousin after my aunt died giving birth to her. I know my grandmother loved my cousin like one of her own children, but she had the sense to know that she could not supercede a living, loving parent (my uncle).

This is just heartbreaking. They are expecting a decision soon (on what I am not exactly sure)...

as published in Brazil's Marie Claire magazine, posted on the BringSeanHome.org site:

My dear son,

I have immense pride to be your grandmother. I know that you are scared and afraid of being ripped from here. You are my first grandchild, I saw you being born. We have a strong link, you are my continuation, you are the continuation of your mother. I know that, if it depends on your will, I do not run the risk of losing you. But I'm afraid. After your mother died, which was something impossible and distant, anything can happen to us. From the bottom of my heart, I want the best for you. And for me, the best is that you stay with me. I know that you’re happy, you know that you’re my son now.

There are many memories, Sean. When you mother became pregnant with you, she was in love. The news caught me by surprise, I confess, but it made me happy. I would have a grandchild and then you came, a strong, tall, hungry baby. During the four years that you lived in the United States, we saw each other every two months. I would just leave everything in Rio and go because I missed you and Bruna. And each time I arrived there, there was a surprise. I remember as if it were today the day you called me Nonna [grandmother in Italian]. We also spoke on the phone every day, even when you were just a baby. I did not want to forget me, forget my voice.

Then you came to my house ... Sean, there was no kidnapping. You came to Brazil with the permission of David. The accusation they’re making is a lie. When Bruna decided to stay here, it was a serious step, but Nonna could not have gone against the wishes of your mother who was only trying to be happy. The marriage was going well, Bruna lived with a man with whom she had no more ties, you know? She was young, wanted to start over here in Rio I did what any mother would. I supported her decision and sheltered the two of you.

In the beginning, you asked for David and all your American relatives. They also telephoned, sent emails, boxes full of gifts. But your father never came looking for you due to a strategy of his lawyers, and little by little, created a huge gap between you two. The ties between you were breaking apart. Your mother adored you. It was a joyful, happy relationship. Of course, she would never leave you in any way. Bruna has, in all instances of the law, won custody. You know this story well, Sean.
Time passed, and Bruna lived a happy period in her life. She had found the husband she wanted, an affectionate, loving man. Joao Paulo [the lawyer João Paulo Lins e Silva] is a moral person, who loved your mother and took you as his son from the beginning. And you, Sean, took him as your father. It was a spontaneous thing, a thing from your heart, from your soul.

Nonna was happy to have you around, watching you grow up, walking around, cute, talkative, smiling. I want to remember only those times, but I cannot. We have been living a nightmare since the day your mother died. You still saw her in the hospital with Chiara in her arms ... But she fell ill, there was a rupture of uterus which was not diagnosed in time. He suffered massive bleeding and did not resist. Nonna was the one who told you this tragedy and it was the worst moment of my entire life. Besides the pain, my greatest concern was that you would not feel abandoned, rejected. And you're not. You have your grandfather, your sister, Chiara, and your father, Joao Paulo.

I know it is a tragedy. Not only that, you became a trophy. David has shown up after the death of you mother, after five years without having physical contact with you. He appeared to say that will take you away, that he has the same blood as you. I never imagined having to go through this. I am shocked, Sean, because you are a child who has a soul and a connection with Brazil. I pray that there is no one inhumane that will analyze the case like this, as if you were a trophy.

I miss Bruna very much and I am sad when you cry thinking about her. It is horrible because this time, I can not remedy the situation. It was a huge loss for me. What gives me strength is to see you and your sister, Chiara, together. You love her, I know! When you’re at school, she looks your photos in the picture frames. The other day, I cried when I heard you say: "Nonna, if I get separated from you and Chiara, I think I will go crazy." Sean, I am an Italian grandmother, I am Nonna. I will never leave you and your sister. I finish my letter here, son, wishing you could have peace and quiet to become a good man. Never forget that Nonna loves you. It is simple and that is all sincerity that I have for you.
From your Nonna, Silvana

Dear Sean,

It’s Grandma Ellie saying hello. It’s been a long time since I talked to you. I have sent cards to say how much I miss you and also some for Valentine's Day. Soon, I’ll be sending you a card to for your 9th birthday. The other day I saw your picture next to your father, David. You are so tall, at his shoulder level. You must be as tall as I am! Your father told me that visited twice, and you talked and played together. He loved the time he spent with you. He said you play basketball very well. I hope he has sent you a big kiss from me.

Sean, I miss our hugs, the kisses and playing together. I would like to push you in the swing of the tree in front of the Casa Sean, "as you called your home here in New Jersey. I remember when we were in the car and spent by their street, in front of his house, and you are always excited to see the "Casa Sean." Then said: "There it is, Casa Sean!". You loved that swing so much that sometimes I got tired of pushing it ... You never wanted me to stop!

The other day I received a call from Mrs. Bobbi, the principa of your school. She wanted to know how you are doing and said that your teachers expect news about you. They all send their love to you. Mrs. Bobbi remembers the days when I took you to school ... When she opened the door, you hid behind me and then ran, back around, to try to startle her. She told me that you always startled her! The teachers said you were a good boy and had many friends. They also said you were very good in art projects.

Another thing I miss doing with you is to build tunnels and caves with those color blocks that look like large Legos. We used make these buildings on the floor of the living room in your house, Sean. We’d make those so you could play with your toy cars and animals. Sometimes, I’d make a very high tower, that you’d knock down, then burst into laughters because the pieces were all over the place.

I miss when we had cookouts at home. When this happened, Grandma called your house “the house of barbecue”. We had a lot of fun, and I would make your favorite pasta dish and corn on the cob, which you liked a lot. I loved when I would go out for breakfast with you, your father and your mother. I loved your mother, she was your father’s wife, my daughter-in-law. I was very saddened with everything that happened. I remember her talking to you about your Nonna, Grandma Silvana. She said that one day when Nonna goes to Heaven, she’d become a star. Now I think your mother is the brightest star you can find in the sky.

Your cousins Coltrane and Adison also miss you. They never forget the birthday parties to this day and and talk about one where you dressed as pirate. They also talk about one in which you dressed like one of The Incredibles. They have not forgotten how you liked to play in the pool.

I was in Brazil, in Rio, once to try to see you, but things became difficult and complicated. So I could not. I hope from the bottom of my heart to see you soon when all the complications are over and then give you many hugs. You were so tiny, but now you’re huge. You are tall and strong and you look a lot like David when he was a boy.

Kisses and hugs, love you, Grandma Ellie

I think this case will get resolved in time, though the time involved must feel absolutely excruciating to the father. I also think that this is a lucky child in some sense in that he is so loved by so many. It's a painful story.

My understanding is that Sean is being cared for by his maternal grandmother and his stepfather in Brazil (mother died giving birth to Sean's half sister).

David Goldman, Sean's biological father lives in New Jersey. He has been fighting to gain custody of Sean for the past four? five? years after his wife took him as a two year old to Brazil without David's knowledge.

sorry I meant DAVID's inlaws. this is what happens when you stay up late at night LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter