Sea conditions - Norwegian fjords vs Alaska

Chrislovesdisney

DIS Veteran
I’m looking into the Norwegian fjords cruise for 2024, but DH is very sensitive to sea sickness. He had a horrible time during the 2 sea days on the DCL Alaska cruise (but was ok the days we were along the shore, making the stops). How does Alaska compare to Norwegian fjords in terms of sea conditions? Tia.

I’ve done both. Crossing the North Sea can be rough, we hit a rough patch on the night crossing back to the UK so if he got seasick in Alaska (which to me was pretty calm!) he would likely get seasick on that cruise if the sea is rough.

Going to Norway the sea was like glass though so you never know.

I’m looking into the Norwegian fjords cruise for 2024, but DH is very sensitive to sea sickness. He had a horrible time during the 2 sea days on the DCL Alaska cruise (but was ok the days we were along the shore, making the stops). How does Alaska compare to Norwegian fjords in terms of sea conditions? Tia.
When you sailed Alaska was it through the inner passage or no...? We also found the seas quite calm in Alaska. Norway we felt it a little more, and there was one night the fog was thick and the horn was going to keep us safe.

I can't speak to Norway but I'm shocked about your experience in Alaska. Every day was literally like glass for us. So smooth, I joked that it felt like we were in a lake! It was the smoothest cruise I've ever experienced. So I guess this goes to show you never know what sea conditions could be like in any given part of the world.

Where were your Alaska sea days? Was this a RT Inside Passage cruise or one that went farther north? Our sea days in the Inside Passage were smooth and calm.

We did the DCL Norway/Iceland/Scotland cruise in 2018 - I was really concerned about the sailing days from Norway to Iceland but it was smooth and no big deal. However, the sailing between Stavanger and Alesund was really, really rough. I felt seasick even when wearing the patch, and the next day I found out that lots of the dinner servers were sick enough to need to lie down and miss the 2nd seating at dinner. So I think it all depends but the North Sea can be rough. Amazing cruise, though. Really amazing.

The Fjords cruise can definitely be rough, not during the hours around arriving to and leaving ports, but when the ship goes to open sea at night, plus the days getting to Norway and back. It is the North Sea after all, where all ship builders take the new ships to stress test them. I would not recommend it if you are extremely prone to sea sickness.

Thank you everyone for your honest feedback. Looks like this won’t be a good match for us, which is unfortunate. Sounds like such a beautiful itinerary.

Thank you everyone for your honest feedback. Looks like this won’t be a good match for us, which is unfortunate. Sounds like such a beautiful itinerary.
I also get seasick, even when using Bonine and seabands(I can't use the patch because of a medical condition). I now take giner candying with me when we cruise and it works really well. On our last 2 cruises we had really rough seas from storms and I never felt ill. I suck on a piece of candy every 3-4 hours every day while cruising. Your dh should give it a try. He could also try ginger pills(sold in vitamin sections in stores if he doesn't want to do the candy). With the pills, you have to drink a full glass of water otherwise it causes heartburn. I've always wanted to do an Iceland cruise also, so good to know it can get rough.

I also get seasick, even when using Bonine and seabands(I can't use the patch because of a medical condition). I now take giner candying with me when we cruise and it works really well. On our last 2 cruises we had really rough seas from storms and I never felt ill. I suck on a piece of candy every 3-4 hours every day while cruising. Your dh should give it a try. He could also try ginger pills(sold in vitamin sections in stores if he doesn't want to do the candy). With the pills, you have to drink a full glass of water otherwise it causes heartburn. I've always wanted to do an Iceland cruise also, so good to know it can get rough.
Thank you for these ideas. I know he’s done the all-natural Bonine on lighter sea days, which is pretty much ginger but I’m going to bookmark these suggestions and pass them along. My 7 year old was also sea sick those more open sea days but the bands worked well for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter