Scooter Incident at Magic Kingdom Bus Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, anyone can rent an ECV, and most people use outside vendors due to cost, and that the vehicles rented offsite are often easier to maneuver than the large park ones, not to mention needing it at the really spread out resorts and not just in the parks. Don't have to be disabled to want or need an ECV, lots of otherwise able bodied people have stamina issues or can't easily walk the several miles a day at WDW entails. An ECV allows them to enjoy the park just like everyone else. The distances to be covered in a day are much more than some average people are used to.

Since Disney realizes this, there has to be some mode of transportation from the resorts to the parks for these ECV's, thus the ramps on busses. Yes, it slows up loading. Yes, there are sometimes issues with a dozen family members accompanying an ECV. Large family groups are not uncommon at WDW. Yes, there are special rows at the theaters and shows that can accommodate them, usually right up front or all the way in the back. Kinda tough to put those spots in the middle, couldn't easily drive to the middle against the tide of people.

The other posters are right, things are not always fair. There is no absolutely fair way to accommodate every situation.

There are many rides that a person more dependent on an ECV or wheelchair can't experience. Steps into a ride vehicle, a moving platform that can't be stopped, a ride that just can't be accessed. Disney has made several shows and attractions available for people with some limitations, but there are always some attractions they just can't do for whatever reason. I for one don't see a problem with letting ALL people enjoy what they can at WDW. When I see an annoyed expression on a person's face when they think a wheelchair or ECV has fared better than they have, I just chalk it up to them being tired after a long day that day or the day before. They might not realize that a person with limitations gets to do much less than they do at the parks.

Last edited:
The DIS is always sort of a giant magnifying glass for problems that, in the grand scheme, are not that big. I would expect that if the folks posting on this thread encountered one another in person, they would be friendly to one another and want to help in any way they could. My mother was diagnosed with MS before I was born, was unable to walk by the time I was 10 and was confined to a bed from the time I was 12. Through all of that, she maintained her strong faith and a positive attitude. She also encountered many many wonderful people who simply treated her with the respect any fellow human being deserves. We went to Disneyland when I was almost 4, and she loved Disney and everything it stood for. I would have loved to have been able to take a trip with her to Disney World, but circumstances never allowed it. She passed away shortly before our last trip. I paid a little tribute by riding It's a Small World "one more time" as I had told her I wanted to do after we got home from that one trip to Disneyland.

To those who have loved ones who need mobility devices or need to use one themselves, I think you can be assured that almost all people, with very few exceptions, will treat you with the respect you deserve. There will be those few that have had bad experiences with others using mobility devices and let that affect their attitude toward anyone using them. Let's face it, nobody is immune to the "me first" syndrome, and a few people with disabilities can be just as nasty as anyone else. I've met one or two. You shouldn't allow those people to detract from your time at Disney World with your family and friends. Try to brush it off. I don't say that lightly, because I know it can be difficult, but you owe it to yourself and your family to try anyway.

To those who encounter situations in which Disney doesn't appear to be following their own policy (e.g., loading more than 6 from a party with an ECV or wheelchair), there are a few things you can do. First, try not to let it bother you. Again, that can be hard, but letting it bother you too much detracts from your vacation and maybe those around you as well. If it appears to be chronic, you should contact Guest Relations and let them know what you're seeing. If you want to avoid it altogether, you can rent a car or bring your own and drive, like a number of people have said they do.

I don't think for a minute that the OP had any intention of starting a discussion to disparage those who need to use mobility devices. It was simply an observation about how Disney did not follow their own policy in that instance and how it can make people feel they are being treated unfairly. I imagine this thread will be closed soon, so I wanted to get this all out before that happens.

Everyone have a wonderful time on your trips, and remember to treat others the way you would want to be treated.

Last edited:
What I'm really getting out of this thread is what people really think about people in wheelchairs and scooters. I thought people had come along in their understanding of people who have special needs, but that staring and glaring is really how people feel. You can tell people all the time hey maybe we took up the front row these couple of times during your show but other times we were are all the way in the back and our party has to be split up I don't get to see my son's face of excitement like you do, you can tell them till your blue in the face but all they will remember is that one time someone sat in the first row and you didn't. You remember because they had a mobility or another issue.

I'm thankful for the veil of this thread where people can post freely about their opinions, it has been and enlightening "discussion".

Your emotional connection to the topic may be preventing you from being enlightened by the logic being expressed.

It is the policies most of us dislike. Not the people.

Unfortunately, a few do take out their resentment toward the policies on the people (The policies aren't physically present. The people are).

That is precisely my point. The polices need to change to reduce the resentment toward the people.

It is unlikely they will change, though. Disney has a valid fear of lawsuits.

We all know life is not fair and that rules are rules. That's pretty basic.

Some things we have no control over - like who has a disability and who does not. But for those things over which humans do have control, like park policies, we should work to make them as fair as possible. Doing so benefits everyone.

There is only only one bus with a lift left in the fleet. All the others have been retired from service and been replaced with buses that have ramps. All of the ramps can be manually lowered (if the driver so chooses!) And the beed arises. Rarely do the ramps malfunction.
All I know is what the driver said.

Your logic used to express your opinion that the policies Disney has put in place to handle the needs of the disabled are "unfair" is only your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Those of us that live with disabilities every day have tried to explain why the policies put in place by Disney are necessary to help allow the disabled to experience the parks just like the able bodied. We all have a different perspective. You see life from the point of view of an able bodied person. I see life from a wheelchair. It's a really different Disney experience depending on your point of view. I disagree with your opinion that there is a problem with Disney policies regrading guest with disabilities. I do however, agree that life sure is unfair. I think that most of us dealing with disability issues would agree that life sure as hell is unfair. Try not to let it interfere with the enjoyment your Disney vacation.

Last edited:
The DIS is always sort of a giant magnifying glass for problems that, in the grand scheme, are not that big. I would expect that if the folks posting on this thread encountered one another in person, they would be friendly to one another and want to help in any way they could. My mother was diagnosed with MS before I was born, was unable to walk by the time I was 10 and was confined to a bed from the time I was 12. Through all of that, she maintained her strong faith and a positive attitude. She also encountered many many wonderful people who simply treated her with the respect any fellow human being deserves. We went to Disneyland when I was almost 4, and she loved Disney and everything it stood for. I would have loved to have been able to take a trip with her to Disney World, but circumstances never allowed it. She passed away shortly before our last trip. I paid a little tribute by riding It's a Small World "one more time" as I had told her I wanted to do after we got home from that one trip to Disneyland.

To those who have loved ones who need mobility devices or need to use one themselves, I think you can be assured that almost all people, with very few exceptions, will treat you with the respect you deserve. There will be those few that have had bad experiences with others using mobility devices and let that affect their attitude toward anyone using them. Let's face it, nobody is immune to the "me first" syndrome, and a few people with disabilities can be just as nasty as anyone else. I've met one or two. You shouldn't allow those people to detract from your time at Disney World with your family and friends. Try to brush it off. I don't say that lightly, because I know it can be difficult, but you owe it to yourself and your family to try anyway.

To those who encounter situations in which Disney doesn't appear to be following their own policy (e.g., loading more than 6 from a party with an ECV or wheelchair), there are a few things you can do. First, try not to let it bother you. Again, that can be hard, but letting it bother you too much detracts from your vacation and maybe those around you as well. If it appears to be chronic, you should contact Guest Relations and let them know what you're seeing. If you want to avoid it altogether, you can rent a car or bring your own and drive, like a number of people have said they do.

I don't think for a minute that the OP had any intention of starting a discussion to disparage those who need to use mobility devices. It was simply an observation about how Disney did not follow their own policy in that instance and how it can make people feel they are being treated unfairly. I imagine this thread will be closed soon, so I wanted to get this all out before that happens.

Everyone have a wonderful time on your trips, and remember to treat others the way you would want to be treated.

I have a 5 year old and have been recently diasogned with MS. We have taken my son each year and this year may be my last because I struggle with my symptoms and its hard figuring out how to handle such a physically demanding trip. I want to enjoy each day to the fullest and take it all in.

I currently don't look physically ill but I will need a scooter or a wheelchair. I used to be one of people complaing about the policies and now I'm one the scooter people. Karma people!! Be grateful!!!

Your in the happiest place on earth forget about complaing and whining about bus loading.

Don't like it drive! It's plan and simple.

I'm going to plaster my scooter with support MS stickers so you all think twice :)

Last edited:
Your emotional connection to the topic may be preventing you from being enlightened by the logic being expressed.

It is the policies most of us dislike. Not the people.

Unfortunately, a few do take out their resentment toward the policies on the people (The policies aren't physically present. The people are).

That is precisely my point. The polices need to change to reduce the resentment toward the people.

It is unlikely they will change, though. Disney has a valid fear of lawsuits.

We all know life is not fair and that rules are rules. That's pretty basic.

Some things we have no control over - like who has a disability and who does not. But for those things over which humans do have control, like park policies, we should work to make them as fair as possible. Doing so benefits everyone.
Nothing emotional about it it is what it is I have been yelled at screamed at only because the person yelling perceives it as you do. I do hope you will write to Disney and express your concerns and their need to change policy you are very eloquent but you haven't a clue what goes on for people with disabilities in their parks on a daily basis. Your example maybe be true some of the time but not all of the time and defiantly not at every attraction. But good luck with your pursuit of fairness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter