School locks bathrooms BETWEEN classes then. . .

I am sure some group like the ACLU will step in a clear it up.

I would not be happy with that policy. How anyone can think that is good for the students is amazing.

You guys can't be serious? This went on all through my life in school. Junior High kids abuse the "bathroom" all the time.

They go there to talk, put on make up, meet their boyfriend/girlfriends out in the hall, skip classes, waste time or just use it as an excuse to get out of class.

We used to have those passes in Junior High. I don't think that it is a "bad" thing to do. I'm sure that if a child *really* has to go to the bathroom their teacher would allow them to go, but if I had a student in a class that always asked to go to the bathroom as soon as they came in the room, come on, I'm not stupid I know why they are leaving the classroom day after day.

I'm not looking at this from a bodily function kind of mentality. I'm looking at is as a form of seeing a problem, and finding a solution.

I know I'll be the minority, but oh well. This isn't the first time I've heard of it, and it won't be the last either.

"We called the school and were told the bathroom is a privilege, not a right.

The student said the teacher told her "If you can't hold it, you should be wearing Pampers." The student had a bowel movement in class and was then too embarrassed to go back to school.

:confused:

How can anyone say that using the bathroom is a privilege?

If the school is having problems with bomb threats and so on, there has to be a better way to address these problems. What happens if a student has an upset stomach and they have to go now and they are out of passes? Are they supposed to defecate in their pants? Apparently so...

:confused: :confused:

What's next? Giving passes for the "privilege" to breathe...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There is a similar policy at the High School in East Bridgewater, MA. The bathrooms are locked during class and unlocked by teachers on bathroom duty during certain times. If you need to go during class you have to go the nurses office...This is a school of about 600 students.

Our school this is as well. Only one set of bathrooms were kept unlocked and it was on the first floor in the middle of the school. Most classrooms were on the 2nd and 3rd floors in the "wings" my mother called the school and she was told the same thing about it being a privilege and that students should use the bathrooms during lunch. Here is a summary of what my mother said,

"So the students should all use the bathrooms during lunch. INteresting. And 1/2 the school goes to lunch between 11a.m. and 11:45a.m. and the other 1/2 at 11:50a.m. to 12:35 a.m. Correct?"

"Yes."

"Okay well lets figure then you have 1000 kids during each lunch and that half of them are girls. So you have 500 girls and lets assume a quarter them are menstrating. That is 125 girls that are suppose use the one bathroom with 4 stalls in it with that 45 minutes to take care of their business. I don't know about you but that sounds like a risk to their health with Toxic Shock Syndrome and all. I really don't see how you can justify this?"

Nothing ever came of it but I was darn proud of my Mom!

~Amanda

I can't believe cbr and me are the only ones that needed passes to go to the bathroom in school. This is nothing new I'm 45 when I went to middle school and high school we needed a pass. If the teacher didn't think you really had to use bathroom you didn't get a pass. There was lots going on in the bathroom besides using the facilities.

Originally posted by sue1013
I can't believe cbr and me are the only ones that needed passes to go to the bathroom in school.

True. But at least at the schools I went to, the bathrooms were UNLOCKED between classes. It was expected that you dart in on your way to your next class.

I can invision boys especially coming up with "creative" places to urinate between classes.

Peggy

That is just wrong. I can't believe anyone would think it's okay. If you have a problem with people doing the wrong things in the bathroom, then have a teacher stand there in between classes. I know that it's not a fun thing to do, but people need to use the restroom. And some people need to go more than 15 times a month during the school day. I know I do.

That's simply abusive. If a Levi's factory was doing it, everyone would be upset about it.

They were doing this at our high school in the late 1980's. We had problems with idiots making pen bombs and placing them in the boys bathroom all the time. There was also lots of people smoking in the bathrooms.

There is a simple solution. Parent volunteers. Our Jr. High has a parent patrol - they try to have two parents on duty at all times. They patrol the hallways and check bathrooms regularly. Rather than critizing the schools efforts to control the problem, parents should be involved in the solution.

I went to jr. high in the 70's and this was an issue then. I remember times the only bathroom that was open between classes was in the locker rooms - because the gym teacher could supervise.

My high school bathrooms were locked during breaks. To go during class you needed to sign in and out, with a teacher monitoring the bathrooms. I think it worked to cut down on the vandalism and smoking in the bathrooms.

I don't, however, agree with limiting the number of potty breaks a kid can take.

When I was in 9th grade, my social studies teacher informed us the first day of class that she didn't believe we EVER needed bathroom breaks during her class. If you had to go, you got a zero for the day. It didn't matter what your reason was.

I was a straight A student, so I went to the principal and kicked up a fuss. Not that I went to the bathroom all the time, and I certainly wasn't a discipline problem, but I just felt it was wrong. My dad let them know he was unhappy, too. I got moved out of the class. Unexpectedly, they decided they needed to even out the classes and I was moved to a wonderful class. I felt so sorry for the kids who were stuck in that dragon lady's class.

If the parents fight it, they can get it changed. It sounds wrong to me. I don't think problems in the bathrooms should cause kids to be forced to hold it. Just my opinion.

merry--

The science teacher I work for is like that now! No bathrooms in his class... suprisingly the kids have learned!

I'm sure the woman was probably a good teacher, but being that strict is just crazy in my opinion. If someone has to go, they shouldn't lose their grade for the day. There just isn't enough time to go between classes.

At my son's high school the bathrooms are locked during breaks. They need to get a pass from their current teacher and miss class time to use the bathroom. One of his teachers has already complained about him having to go to the bathroom during his class. When I went to high school, the matrons stood guard at the girl's room during breaks so we could use them instead of locking them. I realize that smoking and drugs can be a problem but there has to be a better way than locking them up.

Ok this is WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!

Get a camera to watch what goes on in the bathrooms ( ok not in the stalls but the sink area) Hire bathroom montors.

If my DD's came home with this I would be very upset.

I think being a girl, my issue is with "that time of the month". Sometimes you NEED to go to the bathroom.

Theres got to be better way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter