• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scary Situation with Old Appliance

We almost burnt the house down because of our dish washer. Anything plastic should not go in the dishwasher. The piece slid down and touched something that made it start on fire.
Our dd started the dish washer before she left, because she knew we were going to be home in a few minutes. I have a thing about any large appliance running, like the wash machine or dryer or dish washer running while no one is home.
We walked in the house and we could smell something burning, Luckily the water was distinguishing the burning, yet the plastic kept on burning, since it was up against a hot mechanism. It was really strange, but I am glad we were able to turn off the dish washer, before we had an electrical fire. We had a plumber come out the next day, for something else, and he told us too, under no circumstances should anything ever plastic go in a dishwasher, it is never safe.

Thought I would update. We had a new fridge delivered on Wednesday while I was away in a cruise with friends. :teeth:
My husband was here to receive it. They also hauled away the old one. The guy said it was about 40 years old which is about right. He also said the insulation underneath was black. So that’s probably what we smelled.

One of our Reporters today is doing a story on how you are supposed to clean your dryer vent once a year so it doesn't become a fire hazard. Another hazard even if the appliance is functioning perfectly.

Yes , its a good idea to clean the vents anyway as it will put less ware and tare on the dryer.

I have had the electrical components on 2 dishwashers burn up. The first one just sent up a little puff of gray smoke, but the last dishwasher that happened to had actual fire! It was scary! Glad you're ok :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter