Saw an article about some Canadian cruisers being denied

Shir Kahn

DIS Veteran
I read an article about how the US Cruise lines are not recognizing Canadians (and other country visitors) as being fully vaccinated if they've mixed two different vaccines. My wife and I have a cruise booked for next March, so hopefully this issue will be resolved by then regardless, however does anyone know if Disney is following this guideline as well? They weren't mentioned in the article and I know technically they're based out of the Bahamas, but it seems they're following CDC guidelines.

Link to the article

Yes this has been in the news up here a lot lately. And it appears some cruise lines have already back tracked. The situation (like many during the Pandemic) seems to be evolving on a daily basis. We are AZ/Moderna so paying close attention but also don't have any cruises booked until next August from Europe.

Most pushback is against the AZ/mRNA mix. Of the mainstream cruise lines, only NCL is asking for no mixing at all. Everyone else has at least allowed mixing the two mRNA vaccines - and in the case of RCL, no restriction of their own (just that of the country of their visit).

I'm hoping to get a 1- year booster before our cruise, April 2022. I was vacc 2 x with Phizer but 4 mos apart.

I've been an Animal Health Technician for 42 years and we would never
1. booster 4 mos apart (should be 3-4 weeks)
2. Use two different vaccine companies for one animal.
3. Use expired vaccine.
I know it is all new for everyone and want to be supportive but the science is already there.

've been an Animal Health Technician for 42 years and we would never
1. booster 4 mos apart (should be 3-4 weeks)
2. Use two different vaccine companies for one animal.
That really depends on the vaccine. Many childhood vaccinations are done months apart, or even years apart, with no requirement to use the same brand. Nobody really pays any attention to what brand of Tdap booster you get every 10 years, or even if you only get the Td booster instead...

Was just released and DCL is not going to recognize vaccine cards for those traveling from outside of the US for cruises out of the US.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/experience-updates/us/
And that sort of tracks because in order to home port from the US you'll need to adhere to CDC guidelines in order to get the go-ahead to sail.

Internationally (or at least in the Caribbean), the cruise lines appear to be following the WHO guidelines. WHO has not officially given the green light to mixed vaccines, and I believe that is because there isn't enough data for their liking. Once that approval happens, I suspect that the CDC may recognize as well.

I read an article about how the US Cruise lines are not recognizing Canadians (and other country visitors) as being fully vaccinated if they've mixed two different vaccines. My wife and I have a cruise booked for next March, so hopefully this issue will be resolved by then regardless, however does anyone know if Disney is following this guideline as well? They weren't mentioned in the article and I know technically they're based out of the Bahamas, but it seems they're following CDC guidelines.

Link to the article
I'm curious how they would even know. If you are from Ontario and you mixed vaccines, the vaccine paper that you get only states the second dose vaccine. So there are people who, for example, had AstraZeneca Dose 1 and Pfizer Dose 2. The Ontario vaccine slip (which is all we get) in this case would say "2 Valid Doses" and the vaccine part only references Pfizer (nothing about the first dose). So unless a cruise line has access to the Ontario government health care records system, how would they even know that someone mixed?

So only U.S. citizens can cruise? Is that what that means?
Vaccinated US citizens can skip the testing requirement on cruises from the US by showing proof of vaccine. Cruisers coming in from outside of the US must pay for testing even if fully vaccinated.

Vaccinated US citizens can skip the testing requirement on cruises from the US by showing proof of vaccine. Cruisers coming in from outside of the US must pay for testing even if fully vaccinated.
Okay, but those are two different things. Testing and vaccine cards. The vaccine cards (which is what is quoted) shows that you have been vaccinated. The test is something entirely different and shows that you're currently covid free (whether or not you are vaccinated). The quote says "will not recognize vaccine cards." So I'm now thinking what you/they mean is your vaccine card status is irrelevant, just present a negative covid test. Correct?

So I'm now thinking what you/they mean is your vaccine card status is irrelevant, just present a negative covid test. Correct?
Correct. This is the wording on the WDW website:
Guests who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination in order to be exempt from pre-arrival and Embarkation Day COVID-19 testing (unless arriving from outside the United States).
So non-US guests do not have the option to skip the testing. Vaccination status becomes a moot point for those guests.

Guests who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination in order to be exempt from pre-arrival and Embarkation Day COVID-19 testing (unless arriving from outside the United States).
So non-US guests do not have the option to skip the testing. Vaccination status becomes a moot point for those guests.
Excellent. Thank you.

Someone had asked about the wording (bolded) at the DCL Protocol thread...why wouldn't it say, only for US residents?

Seems strange they used the wording "arriving from"...maybe I'm reading into it to much. I thought perhaps it means directly arriving to the port from outside US.

Last edited:
I'm curious how they would even know. If you are from Ontario and you mixed vaccines, the vaccine paper that you get only states the second dose vaccine. So there are people who, for example, had AstraZeneca Dose 1 and Pfizer Dose 2. The Ontario vaccine slip (which is all we get) in this case would say "2 Valid Doses" and the vaccine part only references Pfizer (nothing about the first dose). So unless a cruise line has access to the Ontario government health care records system, how would they even know that someone mixed?
Our vaccine cards in BC show both doses. So mine (and dh's) will say AZ first, Moderna second.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter