Saw 4 large Confederate flags flying at a house today,

Don't forget that the men who fought the Revolutionary War were traitors.

Yes, but we don't live in England.

If the US lost and was still part of the United Kingdom, what would people assume about people flying the Gadsden Flag, or some version of the Stars and Stripes? In the UK, are there people who fly pre-imperial Welsh or Scottish flags? If so, why? Are there people in Northern Ireland who fly the Republic of Ireland flag? Again, if so, why? Same goes for the Rhodesian flag being flown by someone in Zimbabwe. The Nazi flag flown in Germany (which can't happen). Flying the USSR flag or the Imperial Standard in Russia?

Those are all part of their nations' histories, but they also all have context. You are saying something specific by flying a flag that isn't your nation's flag.

Last edited:
Interesting how this thread has gone 10 pages and not one person has admitted to flying a confederate flag. I guess those folks don't go to Disney :tiptoe:

Just because no one has admitted it, doesn't mean they don't own and/or fly that thing.

I can't imagine getting all worked over the OP's post unless it hit close to home.

What if they flew ISIS, North Korean, and Confederate Flags?
The Rebel flag was flown as the Berlin Wall came down. It has been used in protests against communism and represents freedom from tyranny. While, some have turned the flag into a symbol of hate, others see it very differently.

The Rebel flag was flown as the Berlin Wall came down. It has been used in protests against communism and represents freedom from tyranny. While, some have turned the flag into a symbol of hate, others see it very differently.

I personally have no problem with it. I'm in Illinois so it wouldn't make much sense to fly it here since its the Land of Lincoln (would be ironic) but there is nothing to be ashamed of with the confederate flag.

Just because no one has admitted it, doesn't mean they don't own and/or fly that thing.

I can't imagine getting all worked over the OP's post unless it hit close to home.

One doesn't have to own something to believe in someone else's right to own it. I don't, personally, own a gun. Can't shoot one. But I believe in everyone else's right to own one.

I don't fly an American flag either but if someone wants a 20 x 20' American flag they want to fly in their yard, I will defend their right to do so.

Yes, but we don't live in England.

If the US lost and was still part of the United Kingdom, what would people assume about people flying the Gadsden Flag, or some version of the Stars and Stripes? In the UK, are there people who fly pre-imperial Welsh or Scottish flags? If so, why? Are there people in Northern Ireland who fly the Republic of Ireland flag? Again, if so, why? Same goes for the Rhodesian flag being flown by someone in Zimbabwe. The Nazi flag flown in Germany (which can't happen). Flying the USSR flag or the Imperial Standard in Russia?

Those are all part of their nations' histories, but they also all have context. You are saying something specific by flying a flag that isn't your nation's flag.

Yes, people in N. Ireland do fly the flag of the Republic of Ireland. Some in Northern England fly the Scottish flag. I have not visited the other countries, so I can't answer the rest of the question

Scottish flags are everywhere in Scotland. My dad flies one in Missouri and Texas as well :)

I get worked up over it because it's a 1st Amendment issue- you know, Freedom of Speech. We have never owned nor plan to own a "Confederate" flag.
You know the sayings about assumptions? Here's one:
" And if you insist on continuing to make assumptions about my character, I'll advise you only this: assume you will always be wrong." Tahereh Mafi

Ditch the Rebel Flag because some have used it in an inappropriate manner? What about crosses? Are they next?

Jeeze people. This was a dead thread and the resident rabble rouser gets bored and makes a useless post to pop it to the top just to start you up again and you completely fall for it.

Agree to disagree and quit feeding the troll.

Jeeze people. This was a dead thread and the resident rabble rouser gets bored and makes a useless post to pop it to the top just to start you up again and you completely fall for it.

Agree to disagree and quit feeding the troll.
So, we are no longer allowed to post on this thread? :confused:

Saw one today on a house in southern Missouri on our way to take our son back to school.

I saw a couple of teens in a truck today with a huge Confederate Flag attached to the back end. It occurred to me that this flag could become a symbol of teen rebellion.

I don't consider those who fought for the Confederacy traitors. Most soldiers do what they are ordered to do and I think that the war was way too complicated to simply label people in that manner.

You know that no-one is going to answer that question, because most of us still follow the rules of posting here.
???
The reference was to the klan burning crosses. It doesn't make crosses a symbol of hate.

Last edited:
I saw a couple of teens in a truck today with a huge Confederate Flag attached to the back end. It occurred to me that this flag could become a symbol of teen rebellion.

I don't consider those who fought for the Confederacy traitors. Most soldiers do what they are ordered to do and I think that the war was way too complicated to simply label people in that manner.

Agree on both accounts. I've seen flags recently since the bruhaha about the flag started this summer in the backs of the trucks of kids--never saw them on a regular basis before this and I'm in the deep south. Even DS, a college student, bought a flag for his apartment because of this--he also got an American flag, state flag and a flag of his fraternity. And he and his generation are the most accepting of kids of all races, creeds and nationalities. He has many friends of all colors. His owning a confederate flag is definitely not a statement about the KKK, civil rights movement, slavery or oppression.

Also, there are still school mascots of "rebel" around. I don't think of it as the confederate rebel, but as someone who goes against the grain and takes a firm stand for what they believe and that's not necessarily bad.

I've thought long and hard about ancestors who fought as confederates in the civil war and cannot fathom that millions of people fought only to keep slavery. There had to be many other reasons for the war--mostly economic, feeding their own families and the defense of their land and way of life, a life that for most Southerners did not include slaves. I think a lot has happened in 150 years that has changed and clouded the reasons for the war in ways that we can't grasp today.

Certainly, I think slavery was wrong, but the US was not the only country to have slavery and the southern states of the United States were not the only ones at fault for the crimes of slavery in the US--what about the north who demanded the product of cotton for their own economic engines--what about the African slave traders who kidnapped and sold people into slavery. That was brutal, too. Just too many pieces to the puzzle to still lay blame on one region, all these many years later.

Last edited:
You know that no-one is going to answer that question, because most of us still follow the rules of posting here.

The question had nothing to do with religion. And its a legitimate question.

But, no, it won't be answered. Just like when one asks about the US flag that the klan has carried for many more years than the rebel flag. Or the question of flying the actual flag of the confederacy.

The whole idea that the confederate flag is somehow bad is just laughable. Even worse that people think "getting rid of it" is going to make any kind of difference. Typical idiot way of thinking. Yes, let's take away freedom at the expense of a certain group of people being offended. This sissy/PC culture we currently live in is sickening and disgusting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter