Saw 4 large Confederate flags flying at a house today,

Like I said before, the flag is rarely seen around here. When you do see it, its usually the "rebel" thats flying it.

I know you don't see it, but honestly I was in Arkansas (drove through it twice), Mississippi (spend two nights there) , Alabama (drove through it twice) and Atlanta (actually in Braselton area for 3 nights) so 6 days total. I saw it on two little boys wearing painted shirts, flying from businesses, on cars bumper stickers/tag frames, had the one nasty encounter with some boys in a truck shouting racial remarks to a bunch of teen age boys and then the idiots stopped and blocking traffic on an interstate overpass. That seems like a LOT to me.

I'm from the Midwest. I see the flag here as well occasionally and honestly I do see it as a personal statement, I don't deny their right to have it, until they use it as an excuse for their own stupidity. We've traveled all over Oklahoma/Texas/Kansas/Arkansas/Louisiana, we never had a racial incident until Georgia, The South, I didn't see 'rebels' I saw racist. That will probably color my opinion for a while. Who knows how long it will bother the boys and what kind of impression they will carry forward.

I know you don't see it, but honestly I was in Arkansas (drove through it twice), Mississippi (spend two nights there) , Alabama (drove through it twice) and Atlanta (actually in Braselton area for 3 nights) so 6 days total. I saw it on two little boys wearing painted shirts, flying from businesses, on cars bumper stickers/tag frames, had the one nasty encounter with some boys in a truck shouting racial remarks to a bunch of teen age boys and then the idiots stopped and blocking traffic on an interstate overpass. That seems like a LOT to me.

I'm from the Midwest. I see the flag here as well occasionally and honestly I do see it as a personal statement, I don't deny their right to have it, until they use it as an excuse for their own stupidity. We've traveled all over Oklahoma/Texas/Kansas/Arkansas/Louisiana, we never had a racial incident until Georgia, The South, I didn't see 'rebels' I saw racist. That will probably color my opinion for a while. Who knows how long it will bother the boys and what kind of impression they will carry forward.
Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia are in the Deep South so I am not surprised that it is seen more frequently on your trip through those states. I rarely see it around here. Despite what some seem to think (not you personally) the south is a very diverse area and the flag is more important to the identity and history of some areas than others. That is what is so disturbing about the slurs being thrown about in this discussion. Ugly labels are always wrong but I think it is worth digging deeper before condemning.

I do respect your opinion much more because it seems to be based on a specific incident you experienced and I am sorry you had to go through that. It is also nice to see a discussion without the use of slurs.

Last edited:
I am in southern MS, so very deep south. I don't pay attention to tag frames or bumper stickers. I have never seen a business flying the confederate flag, except the one place that actually sellls them. And it is literally ONE place.

The state flag yes, the Confederate flag no.

As for anyone yelling racial slurs, try driving a truck for awhile and listening to the CB radio. You will hear many racial slurs from all races. Funny thing is, the further OUT of the south you go the more you hear and not from those with southern accents.

The south has racists. So des the north, east and west. Being racist has absolutely nothing to do with being southern. And neither does the flag outside a house and on a pick up truck. My boss's son would find that assumption hilarious. He has one on his truck. He is black.

my DBIL is from south carolina and now lives in WI and he flies the confedarate flag--I just love how certain groups want to re write history

history is a done deal you cant erase it or change it but groups want the flag taken down and now cable shows arent showing dukes of hazzard because of a flag???!!! give me a break--

people in political offices need to start worring about things that need to be worried about like police officers who put there life on the line to protect the citizens and when they try to do there jobs and shot at someone that is not follow instructions or is shooting at them then they are the bad guys and usually end up losing there jobs sad world!!!

I guess I'm the only one who keeps scrolling past this thread expecting it to be about the movie Saw 4.

Interesting how this thread has gone 10 pages and not one person has admitted to flying a confederate flag. I guess those folks don't go to Disney :tiptoe:

I have to wonder how the "it's just a flag, it's part of history, it's our right to fly it" crowd would feel if they lived in a town where several houses flew ISIS flags. I would bet they would feel uncomfortable and possibly fear for their safety near those houses. Must be similar to the way some other people feel near some other flags.

I have to wonder how the "it's just a flag, it's part of history, it's our right to fly it" crowd would feel if they lived in a town where several houses flew ISIS flags. I would bet they would feel uncomfortable and possibly fear for their safety near those houses. Must be similar to the way some other people feel near some other flags.

What if they flew ISIS, North Korean, and Confederate Flags?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ving-ISIS-flag-ATTACK-waves-Israeli-flag.html
Perhaps a bit off topic, but this did happen recently. Israel is our strongest ally in the Mid-East, and ISIS our sworn enemy. PC campuses have students brainwashed enough to not know right from wrong.

That flag is not a part of our countries history.

Or maybe its not as widespread as some would lead others to believe.
My DW and I were talking about this after all the hoopla about a flag. We go to Kansas City Speedway every Oct for the NASCAR race. I asked her after the flag episode if she remembered seeing any confederate flags while we were walking to the track? We both agreed that we didn't know if there was a confederate flag flying anywhere or not. I guess this year I'll have to make a point to look and see if I'm offended!

Are you an American citizen? It almost doesn't sound like it. In my mind, if one lived in the USA, and fought against it they are or were traitors.

Your post is not clear. Fought against what?

Do you agree with everything that goes on in DC? If not, are you an American citizen? Don't forget that the men who fought the Revolutionary War were traitors.

What makes you think that you are superior? The fact that you don't fly the "Confederate" flag? That's not much basis because even though you saw them in a "white trash neighborhood" doesn't mean that you knew why they were flown. Was it racism? Did you ask the people? If not, you don't know. Those pepople may have flown the flag as a statement against censorship. From what I read, many people who never owned the "Confederate" flag before it was being condemned bought one in protest.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
George Washington.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter