Savi's Price Increase

Thank you for your update and letting us know what happened on your visit. Did you show them your confirmation where it states the price of $199?
I am confused by this. I have a confirmation from before the price increase, and it does not have a price of $199 on it. There is a no-show fee of $199, is that what you are referring to?

It does say prices are subject to change without notice.

I think it would be great for WDW to honor the price that was set at the time the reservation was made, but I can completely understand if they do not feel obligated to do so.

as a kid, we were never allowed to buy souvenirs in the park. We were taught that the admission was a special treat enough.

We have passed on that to our
Kids. WDW is expensive enough. $200 for a toy you won’t play with in 6 months is an unnecessary extravagance.
Literally all of Walt Disney World is an unnecessary extravagance. You can go ride rides and see shows for far cheaper at other venues (local theme parks, fairs, carnivals, city events, etc). But some people have the disposable income and like the experience of Disney World over other options. Some people also have the disposable income and like the experience of building a lightsaber at Savi's over buying one for $15 at Target. It's no different than your choice to pay Disney's high ticket prices, just a matter of priorities and personal interests.

Thank you for your update and letting us know what happened on your visit. Did you show them your confirmation where it states the price of $199?
I didn't really have to show it at Guest Relations. I had a VM from a CM.

At some point as a parent, you have to draw boundaries when on vacation. There literally is no one out there who allows their
Kids to eat/buy/do anything they want to while on a Disney vacation.

right?

At some point as a parent, you have to draw boundaries when on vacation. There literally is no one out there who allows their
Kids to eat/buy/do anything they want to while on a Disney vacation.

right?
No doubt, we set boundaries. But my boundaries are probably different than yours, and others are certainly different than mine.

For some people, allowing their kids to build a $200 lightsaber is within their boundaries. For you that is too much, for others it is fine. I'm not sure any of us are in a position to judge anyone else's decisions on that, because none of us know anyone else's situation.

I deal with troubled youth from all socioeconomic backgrounds. There is a growing body of literature that suggests that buying more gifts for kids can actually be harmful to them. This goes against every thing we feel as a parent.

Kids value experiences more than material possessions. The most troubled teenagers I see who come in with mental crisis actually have it all: stable parents with high incomes, good schools, good grades. But they are not happy.

Just food for thought.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/e...many-gifts-create-spoiled-children/589647002/

I deal with troubled youth from all socioeconomic backgrounds. There is a growing body of literature that suggests that buying more gifts for kids can actually be harmful to them. This goes against every thing we feel as a parent.

Kids value experiences more than material possessions. The most troubled teenagers I see who come in with mental crisis actually have it all: stable parents with high incomes, good schools, good grades. But they are not happy.

Just food for thought.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/e...many-gifts-create-spoiled-children/589647002/

The lightsaber building is as much an experience as anything else. You just don't go pick out parts it's a whole well experience.

There was a 5ish year old boy who was there with I’m assuming his father. He kept interrupting the cast member and obviously needed help from his father to put together the lightsaber. I personally felt like it was a waste for the experience as he may not even remember it but that’s none of my business.

There was a 5ish year old boy who was there with I’m assuming his father. He kept interrupting the cast member and obviously needed help from his father to put together the lightsaber. I personally felt like it was a waste for the experience as he may not even remember it but that’s none of my business.
View attachment 574897

Heck I am a 33 year old adult and I might need some help putting one together ( but I think I should be okay ha). I do think 5 is a bit young for the lightsaber experience. I feel this is something for kids a bit older ( 6-10 and older). But like others have said, it all comes down to whatever they personally think is acceptable when it comes to buying things on a Disney World vacation.

No doubt, we set boundaries. But my boundaries are probably different than yours, and others are certainly different than mine.

For some people, allowing their kids to build a $200 lightsaber is within their boundaries. For you that is too much, for others it is fine. I'm not sure any of us are in a position to judge anyone else's decisions on that, because none of us know anyone else's situation.
We set boundaries every day. Our kids (10 and 7) have to earn rewards and then save them to make their own purchases. Also, they used all their own money to make these lightsabers including birthday and holiday gift cards they received. It took many months of them saving to get to $200. We paid the difference in the price increase for them. I don't have to justify this purchase to anyone, just saying that everyone is in a different situation. Maybe there are people that treat their kids to lots more on vacation because they don't do this in 'everyday' life.

Just adding that we were also charged the new, higher price today despite having made reservations before the price increase.

While your point is valid (what's an extra $20, if you were already ready to pay $200), it's just the optics that bother me. A 10% price increase. These are the ones you hear about, but I have no doubt they are quietly raising prices on other things all throughout the complex. Meanwhile, the hours are still shorter, there is no FP, there are no fireworks, meet and greets, restaurants are still closed, MDE was canceled....

Maybe get the place back to running the way their old pricing reflected. Then jack up the prices.
Why would they ever do that when they can jack the prices up again when the fireworks, fast passes etc come back?

Just adding that we were also charged the new, higher price today despite having made reservations before the price increase.
I felt that you should have showed them the email with the reservation details.

I felt that you should have showed them the email with the reservation details.
We did and it didn't matter. I also had a VM from a CM confirming that the original price would be honored and that didn't matter either. At Sav's, they asked me for the CM's name and extension and it felt like a witch hunt was going to happen to this poor CM who told me that I would be able to pay the old price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter