Saving $$ BBQ Ideas

samanthacatangel

<font color=blue>I am filled with useless info. To
This week, I am throwing a BBQ to celebrate my graduation from Grad school :woohoo: I usually just go to Costco and stock up on stuff, but I thought I would make more things myself to save $$.

Need some ideas for inexpensive sides. I was thinking of classic potato salad, cole slaw, macaroni salad and 3 bean salad. Does anyone have any other ideas, or any really good tried & true recipes for these?

I was debating baking buns/rolls, but I think time/labor outweighs the cost.

Also thinking of grilling corn on the cob - they are on sale for 10 for $1.99 at Pathmark this week.

I have burgers, hot dogs and a marinated london broil in the freezer. Also have chicken breast that I was thinking of marinating and skewering with peppers and onions. Will be picking up extra burgers and dogs, as well as portobello mushrooms for a healthy "burger." I also have veggie burgers from Costco.

We do not drink soda, but I will be picking up Coke/Diet Coke at (5) frig packs (cans) for $11. I think that is a good sale price - is it? Also will have water, iced tea (from mix) and I will be buying some juice for the kids.

Any other food ideas that are cost efficient? :idea:

Thanks!

Samantha

Costco has big containers of baked beans for about $6. You could make deviled eggs. Potato chips and different kinds of dip. Or tortilla chips and Rotel dip. I would get a cooler and put all the Coke in that with ice, and if you are going to serve beer or anything, another cooler with an assortment of beer.

Congratulations! What about dessert? All my DS's friends always request I make home made carmel corn whenever we have them over. The recipe is on the back of the Jolly Time bag of popcorn. Super cheap and so good! It would be a great casual dessert too. Have a great party and good work.:thumbsup2

Get the cake from costco. So cheap and so good!! Definate chips, I would say get a bag of those bbq wings from costco also. On top of everything else, and a nice side salad, get the iceburg salad from costco, and some of those cherry tomatoes, and maybe a cucumber. And viola, instant salad. Dont forget the dressing. Congratulations!!:goodvibes

I agree with the baked beans, cheap and easy. If you are using regular old pork and beans, just throw in some brown sugar, ketchup, diced onions, diced mild green chiles and a little dry mustard. With the burgers you can grill them up early and throw them in a baking pan with some beef broth to keep them from drying out. Costco cakes are the cheapest way to go for dessert and they are better than any of the grocery store cakes. how many people are you expecting? Costco also sells those alum. chafing pans for serving. You can get a package of 20 for around $7.00, well worth it for the easy clean up.
BYW congratulations on your degree, and enjoy your party!!!!:banana:

Congrats! Another easy recipe I just used for my sons first communion was a "Spring Strawberry Spinach" Salad. It was sooooooo good and sooooo easy.

The recipe is listed on www.allrecipes.com. Everyone gobbled it right up and it made a lot and cost a little.

Have a great BBQ!

Heather

You could also do a simple tomato salad. I make this a lot and it gets gobbled right up. Just cut up some tomatos into wedges, season with salt and pepper, mix equal parts of olive oil and red wine vinegar (usually 2-3 tablespoons each). I usually add a minced shallot and chopped capers (1 tsp). Mix all together and pour over tomatoes. Delicious!!

Congrats BTW!

My new favorite NON-MAYONNAISE side salad is Cold Sesame Noodle Salad You truly have to try it to believe it....it wows guests every time and is SUPER easy and cheap to make. And it is easier to keep in hot weather (no wilting mayo).

(recipe is on epicurious.com or foodtv.com, I forget which).

It's Asian inspired. In case you haven't heard of it: you use spaghetti as the noodles. the sauce is soy, ginger, sesame oil, peanut butter and ginger, red chile flakes. For color and crunch you can add whatever you want: green onions, cucumber, even shrimp or chicken. A pound will feed a ton of people.

I wouldn't make any rolls or buns...too much work (I do it myself on occasion) and I find no one appreciates the effort you make.

Martha Stewart, IMO, has the best baked bean recipe.

Congrats on earning your master's!! That's awesome!

Also have chicken breast that I was thinking of marinating and skewering with peppers and onions.

We love shish kabob, but it takes a LOT of time to cut and skewer all the pieces, just for our family of six. I can't imagine doing it for a group.

Sheila

Sam's Club (and probably Costco) have a big bucket of potato salad or coleslaw for less than $4.

This week Pepsi is super cheap at Target. You can get 12 packs 4 for $11 than add $1.00 off (per pack) coupons to make it 4 for $7. http://coupons.50webs.org/ for the coupon

I was at a party last week and they had the potato salad from Costco. It was pretty good and the hostess told me it was about $6 for 5 lbs.

You could also do a simple tomato salad. I make this a lot and it gets gobbled right up. Just cut up some tomatos into wedges, season with salt and pepper, mix equal parts of olive oil and red wine vinegar (usually 2-3 tablespoons each). I usually add a minced shallot and chopped capers (1 tsp). Mix all together and pour over tomatoes. Delicious!!

Congrats BTW!

My mom does something similar to this but she adds the little balls of buffalo mozzarella. I know the Costco here sells a tub of them. SOOO good!

You could also grill pineapple slices. If you want to jazz it up, you can drizzle some white chocolate and sprinkle coconut on top.

Thanks for all of the congratulations and ideas!

I think I will get the potato salad from Costco, and the balls of mozzarella and tomatoes to do that salad.

The Asian Noodles and Strawberry Salad sound good too.

Definitely getting the cake from Costco - I love their cake!!

Oh, and thanks for the coupon for Target, but in gas alone I think I will save $$ by going to Pathmark - our Costco is at least 20 minutes from me (PM is 5 minues away)

Thanks again!

Any more cheap ideas?

Congrats:goodvibes
I always make pasta salad when I need something cheap that feeds alot of people. Get the tri-color rotini, sliced olives, some cubed mozz cheese, italian dressing, and some of Emiril's "Bam-It!!" salad topping. If you want to you could also add some pepperoni slices, but I usually don't and it's just as good!

If you have an ALDI the hamburger and hot dog buns are really cheap there, but if you have to make a far trip for it--not worth the gas.

Congratulations! How about a veggie tray w/ranch dip or hummus? And a big bowl of strawberries or fruit with dip - for the dip, mix 1 container strawberry cream cheese with 1 jar marshmallow fluff for the BEST, most divine fruit dip. Have a great party!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter