Save blt totwl for dvc members

I've gone back and forth on whether they should open TOTWL up to everyone or not.

On the one hand, I'm afraid of losing access altogether.

On the other hand, I like the keycard access requirement. Just feels safer when we have nieces and nephews with us.

Eventually, I think DVC members will eventually lose access. We knew this before we signed our contract, which is why we plan to stay at BLT and use it while we can.

I share the same thoughts.

The TOTWL is really not that big. If it was open to everyone, then it would seem next to impossible to get consistently get in or a reservation system would need to be implemented (which would be next to impossible to consistently get in).

If BLT DVC Members want to keep this benefit as is, it is in our best interest to enjoy it as much as possible while providing customers to the lounge.

I share the same thoughts.

The TOTWL is really not that big. If it was open to everyone, then it would seem next to impossible to get consistently get in or a reservation system would need to be implemented (which would be next to impossible to consistently get in).

If BLT DVC Members want to keep this benefit as is, it is in our best interest to enjoy it as much as possible while providing customers to the lounge.

IF it is opened to all DVC members staying at any of the other DVC resorts I would hope that members staying at BLT would be given priority via a reservation system that is put in place (we're not BLT owners but jmho this would be a fair way to do it because members staying at BLT should be accommodated before members staying elsewhere). I do wonder how much $ TOTWL makes even on a night when it is considered to be crowded....if most guests are just going up to view Wishes and then leaving, not a good thing.

:)

I am hoping it opens up to all DVC members staying on property. If it is not busy now, it never will be. I am sure many members would like to take a boat from VWL over to enjoy it for Wishes. I am staying at Kidani in January and would love to drive over. I would go there for a nightcap to support DVC and TOWL instead of going to DTD.

IF it is opened to all DVC members staying at any of the other DVC resorts I would hope that members staying at BLT would be given priority via a reservation system that is put in place (we're not BLT owners but jmho this would be a fair way to do it because members staying at BLT should be accommodated before members staying elsewhere). I do wonder how much $ TOTWL makes even on a night when it is considered to be crowded....if most guests are just going up to view Wishes and then leaving, not a good thing.

That's the thing that makes it rough. They are open from 5:00 to 11:00 (?) and probably only have alot of activity during fireworks time. Not allowing anyone but DVC BLT guests in the rest of the time has to be hard for business.

I spent a few nights in the lounge last week. The views and the atmosphere are incredible. I got to know a few of the staff also, and they are a great bunch of people. In chatting with them I kind of got the feeling they were a little depressed about the situation. They all mentioned to me how they had hoped the lounge would be a little busier than it is, but it's been a slow start.

Here is my two cents on how things could improve.

#1 Open it to all DVC members staying on property. BLT guests would have preference if the lounge reached capacity.

#2 Make it less confusing/difficult to get up there. Checking in at the lobby is very confusing the first time. Move the check in desk to the 16th floor. On the first night of our visit I forgot something in the room, had to go back to my room, then back to the lobby just to return to the lounge.

#3 Have more or better food offerings. The flatbreads are great, but after the second night, they get a little old. After a long day in the park, I for one would prefer what I call comfort food. Regular nachos, wings, Potato skins...etc.

From what the staff told me its the same every night. They basically stand around the first part of the evening, get a little pop right before the fireworks, then spend the rest of the night standing around some more. If we loose this lounge I for one will be sad! It's a very nice perk for DVC members!

I am hoping it opens up to all DVC members staying on property. If it is not busy now, it never will be. I am sure many members would like to take a boat from VWL over to enjoy it for Wishes. I am staying at Kidani in January and would love to drive over. I would go there for a nightcap to support DVC and TOWL instead of going to DTD.

right now it is wonderfully.

if they let everyone in - forget it - it would be way, way too crowded.

Now always get a drink - if I am driving they have a great selection of non-aolohics drinks.

but definitely like my drink.

their are generally Disney employees - they are wearing suites - not casual clothing.

also suprise at the amount of people doing work here. it has excess to the internet.

most of the guest seating in the lounge are drinking or eating. the problem is that there is not enough of them.

really don't think that most of the BLT members know how really great this place is.

if you want to use ToW then just stay at BLT. even one night would do it.

BLT owners need to attend the annual meeting and voice their concern! I for one would LOVE to visit if I'm staying at another DVC resort on points, but right now there is no way to get up there unless you are staying at BLT.

From what everyone has said so far it is currently not busy and that is why Disney has mulled the idea of opening it up (or maybe it is just us here).

But isn't it not crowded mostly due to the fact that the resort has not sold out? I thought DVC could only rent on points the percentage of the resort that has been sold.

If the resort is only 50% then max, only 50% of the rooms could be used by DVC and the rest cash via CRO. If cash customers are not eligible, it is highly unlikely that the lounge will ever fill to capacity until the resort gets closer to being sold out.

Or am I not understanding how this works?

BTW, can't wait to check it out in 96 days!

Oh, so the deal is it is not busy enough now that it is restricted to DVC members staying at BLT, and the worry is that Disney will close it because it doesn't generate enough income to keep it staffed and just use it as a rental.

The proposed solution is to open it up to all DVC members wherever they're staying, but the concern there is that it will be too crowded and the BLT guests won't be able to get in for the fireworks.

Isn't the real concern that DVC members staying elsewhere would just show up for the fireworks, overcrowding it for a little bit of time but leaving it deserted for the rest of the evening? How would that help with the numbers generated by the lounge at other times?

I'd actually prefer to go when it isn't fireworks time, as crowds are not my thing, so maybe they could have a block of time where they open it to everyone - but you have to leave before the fireworks if you're not staying at BLT - how on earth would they work that? Doesn't the patio outside accommodate a lot of people - isn't that where one would want to be to see fireworks, not inside?

From what everyone has said so far it is currently not busy and that is why Disney has mulled the idea of opening it up (or maybe it is just us here).

But isn't it not crowded mostly due to the fact that the resort has not sold out? I thought DVC could only rent on points the percentage of the resort that has been sold.

If the resort is only 50% then max, only 50% of the rooms could be used by DVC and the rest cash via CRO. If cash customers are not eligible, it is highly unlikely that the lounge will ever fill to capacity until the resort gets closer to being sold out.

Or am I not understanding how this works?

BTW, can't wait to check it out in 96 days!

For the most part, yes that is correct. And for that reason alone I would be surprised if they make changes before BLT is fully sold to members. With the resort only being open 3-4 months it's difficult to predict how crowds will change a seasons change and the volume of DVC guests grows.

Also my money is still on a second Contemporary tower as the next WDW based DVC. If so, that would be the next logical group to gain access.

Expanding access to other DVC members on-site would be a huge switch. I'm not convinced that crowds would skyrocket simply because it's a long way to travel for most...and the MK is right next door. If you're going that far, why not walk another 5 minutes and be inside the MK or Wishes. :confused3 I'm sure some would try the lounge but far-and-away more people would just to into the park itself. (IMO.)

The lounge and outside deck are designed to accommodate something like 400-500 people. And from what I've heard the smallish lounge itself is rarely full these days, much less the deck. Before the lounge opened there was a lot of speculation about overcrowding and guests being turned away. As it turned out, the facility is at 10-15% of capacity most nights.

I think it's inevitable that admittance will be expanded somehow--it's more a question of how and when. What they don't want to do is allow access to all DVC members staying on-site, and then have to remove that "perk" if crowds prove to be too large. But I personally don't think they would be. People aren't going to flock over in massive numbers from other resorts.

Whatever they do, I wouldn't count on BLT guests necessarily getting much of a priority. They certainly won't do anything that would require additional manpower to administer. If the lounge opens at 5pm, they may (for example) establish that only BLT guests can enter from 5-6pm and then begin admitting all others after 6pm. But they aren't going to start taking ADRs for the lounge or anything along those lines. That would add thousands of dollars of expenses for CM time, computer resources, telephone lines, etc.

So what I am getting from this thread is that most want TOWL to be just busy enough not to close, but not so busy that it will intrude on their experience while being a guest at BLT. I don't think you can have your cake and eat it too. I really don't see opening the admittance up to DVC members staying on property as something that would overwhelm the lounge. You could make it a reservation type system if you insist, that way the numbers could be controlled. I really think that it needs to be busy. That is what the lounge staff wants and that is what the bosses want. I am not talking standing room only, but what is wrong with a crowd every now and then. And if it does get that busy, make it an ADR required place.

And herein lies the issue. Disney isn't going to spend the money to come up with a system to allow those types of priority reservations. FCFS is all they're willing to do.

I think that the next step will be that BLT owners will be allowed to use the TOTWL regardless of where they are staying as long as they are doing so on points. If that generates the traffic they find acceptable, then it will remain as such -- otherwise the next phase will be to open it up to all DVC members staying on points. I also don't think they will take this first step until BLT is completely sold out (or close to it). There are a ton of units still to be declared and that, imo, is one of the reasons traffic has been so light.

Right now, you need to be staying at BLT on points to access the lounge, but I know of at least one case where a member was using BLT points to stay elsewhere (DVC, on property) and was granted access to TOTWL since they were using their BLT points that trip.

And herein lies the issue. Disney isn't going to spend the money to come up with a system to allow those types of priority reservations. FCFS is all they're willing to do.

I think that the next step will be that BLT owners will be allowed to use the TOTWL regardless of where they are staying as long as they are doing so on points.

What makes you think that Disney would keep a updated system at the check-in for TOWL of just BLT owners? That's really not any easier. Once BLT is sold out, if business does not pick up, you have to expand eligibility for TOWL. Either, open it to anyone at CR altogether, or allow any DVC member on a points stay access.

really can't see anything else - right now we get it because it is sales.

once it is sold out - would be surprised if BLT owners were allowed to visit.

the lounge is not big - many times all the seats have been taken. the problem these guests are not drinking or eating. So can see adding a price if you don't drink or eat.

which is something alot of lounges use to do.

this is just the lounge - it says 75 people max (I think) - but that includes most of them standing - if there is seating for 75 - well I would be surprised.

it is SMALL.

now the outside has room for what 275 - might be more - but that would be packing the place.

you are looking down at the MK - so you do (or at least I do) need to be close to the edge -

that say little kids can't see anything - they are too short. it was not designed for little ones. they might be able to see the higher fireworks. but again you are looking down.

right now they have 2 security guards - so adding more people would also mean more security guards.

if they ones going know are not surporting the lounge - by drinks or food - don't really think Disney is going to expand their expense just on the chance that these others would use the lounge.

so if you want to kept it then surport the lounge - the bartender is really great.

Once BLT is sold out, if business does not pick up, you have to expand eligibility for TOWL. Either, open it to anyone at CR altogether, or allow any DVC member on a points stay access.

since DVC is really saying it is DVC - don't think they will allow CR guests to use it.

if guests are going to surport the lounge - then it will simpled be closed (hope not - love the CM)

or their will be price.

you can visit the balcony without going in the lounge.

Disney is evidently afraid that someone will jump - they have security guards present. Which is probably why it is not open 24 hours - wish it was - it is just lovely.

As a BLT owner I would love the opportunity to visit our friends at TOWL whenever I'm staying onsite using points, whether or not we're staying at BLT for the trip.

One of the great things about DVC is the ability to stay at the different resorts for different experiences. So far I love them all. I just wish we could get up to TOWL too. Great example, we went down spur of the moment a couple of weeks ago and stayed at VWL. Would have LOVED to go to TOWL that weekend.

Heck, we would most likely be there nightly whether or not we were staying at BLT.

Say hi to Brucie and Mike when you go in. And ask for the Brucie (yum).

Also my money is still on a second Contemporary tower as the next WDW based DVC. If so, that would be the next logical group to gain access.
I doubt that will ever happen and I personally hope they never do that. Now I don't see it happening because the South Garden Wing rooms were just renovated, unlike the North Garden Wing rooms before it was demolished to make room for Bay Lake Tower. So why waste all that money they did renovating them? Plus with the loss of the North Garden Wing that made it harder to get a reservation at the Contemporary because the Tower is very popular, the list of conventions which happens there and the fact that their Garden Wing rooms are the least expensive rooms of the Monorail Resorts.

wow, we just wished there was some sort of forethought..regarding

this. we don't want a "drinking~hole" there just to keep it going!

..security is the issue for us. we brought blt....for a disney's room

& doing our disney vacations. if this was to opened up, then
disney just compromised our safety. [ while @ the c.s.
resort...they had alot problems..with crashers....related to
some sort of convention. ]

we didn't buy blt..for the lounge....& as far as iam concern , they
have no right....to put a bar..where patrons could wander around
to the guests' floors. sooo if they can't create..a complete separate
entrance...then closed the bar, or switched it to something...
more in line ..with disney..like an ice cream shop. after all, it is
next..to the magic kingdom.

is there an open bar..@ any of the other dvc resorts?

I doubt that will ever happen and I personally hope they never do that. Now I don't see it happening because the South Garden Wing rooms were just renovated, unlike the North Garden Wing rooms before it was demolished to make room for Bay Lake Tower. So why waste all that money they did renovating them?

Because the South Garden Wing rooms were darn near uninhabitable before the rehab. (Certainly not up to the standards people expect when asked to pay $300-500 per night for lodging.)

Even if it cost Disney $40-50K per room to renovate them (probably very high), they would have made back that revenue in a couple months' time. As of today they have gotten more than 3 years out of the refurbished rooms and there aren't any bulldozers in sight yet. If/when that happens, they could even recapture a lot of the furniture and fixtures from the garden wing for use in Tower rooms as needed.

I doubt the cost of the 2006 refurb would stand in the way of selling another 11 million DVC points at $120+ a piece.

Plus with the loss of the North Garden Wing that made it harder to get a reservation at the Contemporary because the Tower is very popular, the list of conventions which happens there and the fact that their Garden Wing rooms are the least expensive rooms of the Monorail Resorts.

Disney wouldn't suffer from losing a couple hundred Deluxe cash rooms. Given the way they have been forced to discount rooms in recent years, a lower inventory means they can ease off on the discounts and still fill the remaining rooms.

For nearly a decade now all DVC expansion has removed some cash rooms from service--Disney Institute was closed to build SSR; AKL Jambo rooms were converted to villas; N. Garden Wing demolished for BLT. Most DVC members are previous cash-paying guests to WDW. So it stands to reason that DVC growth has the opposite effect on the cash resorts. Sell BLT points to a family that regularly pays cash to stay at the CR Tower and suddenly the tower has lost business.

Because the South Garden Wing rooms were darn near uninhabitable before the rehab. (Certainly not up to the standards people expect when asked to pay $300-500 per night for lodging.)

Even if it cost Disney $40-50K per room to renovate them (probably very high), they would have made back that revenue in a couple months' time. As of today they have gotten more than 3 years out of the refurbished rooms and there aren't any bulldozers in sight yet. If/when that happens, they could even recapture a lot of the furniture and fixtures from the garden wing for use in Tower rooms as needed.

I doubt the cost of the 2006 refurb would stand in the way of selling another 11 million DVC points at $120+ a piece.

Disney wouldn't suffer from losing a couple hundred Deluxe cash rooms. Given the way they have been forced to discount rooms in recent years, a lower inventory means they can ease off on the discounts and still fill the remaining rooms.

For nearly a decade now all DVC expansion has removed some cash rooms from service--Disney Institute was closed to build SSR; AKL Jambo rooms were converted to villas; N. Garden Wing demolished for BLT. Most DVC members are previous cash-paying guests to WDW. So it stands to reason that DVC growth has the opposite effect on the cash resorts. Sell BLT points to a family that regularly pays cash to stay at the CR Tower and suddenly the tower has lost business.
But it would be bad for Contemporary guests, because that would mean all they have left is the Tower rooms and it would make it harder to stay there. There are sometimes when their rooms are sold out months ahead because of convention groups, so having the Garden Wing helps and that would make it impossible for guests going there on vacation to make a reservation. So I am trying to look at this from a different prespective and I hope you can understand that.

Also even if they did build another DVC tower one thing they couldn't add is another skybridge to the 4th floor. Looking at where the current Garden Wing building is it would go right into Chef Mickey's and there is no way they would be taking out Chef Mickey's to make room for it.

facebook twitter