Savannah Travel Suggestions

We stopped in Savannah on a family trip last summer and I thought it was lovely. Our only tourist sites were the Girl Scout sites (Juliette Gordon Low's birthplace and the First Headquarters of Girl Scouts). I know they're not going to be on the list for all tourists, but that was our primary reason for going through Savannah on the way to Disney.

In between the two sites, we had lunch at Savannah Seafood Shack, which was an easy walk and delicious! I had a great crawfish boil there. I also just really liked the vibe in Savannah and could see myself enjoying a girls' weekend getaway with some friends.

We went to Savannah last August for 3 days before we got to Hilton Head. Loved the Ordinary Pub.

Also, we spent a delightful 3 hours while on a hop on hop off trolley tour at Mint to Be Mojito bar, and we are still talking about it. Best mojitos any of us have. Ever had, super fresh ingredients, and fantastic empanadas to snack on

There is plentiful free and cheap parking near the convention center on the other side,of the river. Take the free ferry to the riverfront are. I love free boat trips.

If you have a museum membership with reciprocity, the Jepson, Telfair and Owens Thomas house were free. The Jepson has the bronze of the girl as shown on the cover of the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The Jepson/Telfair are sister museums. One is in a beautiful old house and the other is modern with some great traveling exhibitions.

You can sample all the cookie flavors and Byrds. They stay fresh for a long time. We love the lemon, key lime and salted caramel.

We liked the Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum which was a good deal with a 2 for 1 Groupon. The trolley tour was awesome. We rode the loop once then got off at stops once we got our bearings. Parking was free in the main trolley lot.

Bonaventure is beautiful but they had a crime problem in the past so always lock your car doors there. If you like history, Fort Pulaski is great.

Our dining choices were a bit disappointing. I would like to try Mrs. Wilkes for southern cooking or Joes at the Jepson. We were last there there years ago so some things may have changes

I love Savannah! My brother lives there and I try to visit often. My favorites:

- Tybee Island for a little slice of island life. They have an app for paying for parking, it's a very small island but has a great chill vibe and some good restaurants. Coco's, Sea Wolf, and Crab Shack all have different feels depending on what you like.

- Bonaventure Cemetery, you can drive through and stop where you like. It's a bit of a hike just walking it.

- In Savannah, I like Sweet Potatoes for traditional Southern fare. For a seafood boil, Erica Davis Lowcountry is delish.

- Take a tour! The best (for me) are the ghost ones after hours.

- If you love Forrest Gump, the park where his bench was is there, however the bench is in a museum and it's by a road. Still fun to drive past! The parks are very nice, check to see if there's a farmer's market while you're there.

- Leopold's for ice cream. They've been there over 100 years, and invented the flavor Tutti Frutti. My favorite flavor is Savannah Socialite. This place has a line in the summer but is always worth it!

Thank you to everyone! The information is fabulous. We can't wait to check out the places that everyone mentioned. We appreciate every tip so very much!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a lighter fare breakfast? We are staying at the Hyatt on the River.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter