FIFA World Cup 2022 thread

World Cup excitement scale: How excited are you for the tournament?

Votes: 26 52.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters

Well done to my second team USA. Leeds player Tyler Adams is doing both club and country proud! Do you think it is now driving more interest in the game? Must be. I will be surprised if they win the next one, but you never know. I think the next World Cup with these players with another 4 years under their belt will be very, very good.
Of course delighted with the England result. First half was poor, second half very good. Also nice to see ex Leeds player Kalvin Philips (very nice lad) set up the third England goal with a sublime pass. Rashford who I‘m not much of a fan of usually played very well with the two goals.
Iran- the players are great. Imagine your family being threatened by your own government? Hopefully the monster mullahs of Iran will be overthrown soon.

If the USA wins the cup, will soccer popularity really grow or do you think it would make little difference?

Yes! I definitely think a win would be a huge boost (but even just as far as we've gotten is already helping). I think America was "ready" for several reasons:

⚽ Soccer was slow to catch on here, but I think a tipping point has finally been reached in which enough currently adult viewers either played recreational soccer as kids, or their own kids do now. So in any group watching, there are likely some who know the game.

⚽ (The popularity of the TV series Ted Lasso helped with that as well.)

⚽ For various reasons, the fan base of American football has declined a bit, and people are open to exploring something new to watch.

⚽ It very easy to follow the World Cup with today's technology. You no longer have to be home in front of your TV when the match is on to get highlights.

Last edited:

Yesterday was so awesome. I had the game on during my last period class and then stayed at school until half time and then sped home for the second half. My daughter was laughing her head off during my frantic pacing for the last 15 minutes of the game and stoppage time. Really, my NFL team is the Buffalo Bills so watching sporting events is terrible for my heart health.

My co teacher is from the Netherlands so we have a fun chat going about the game. I told her really for her and her family it is a win win if the US wins they are happy and if the Dutch win they are happy. I was so proud of this group. They really left it all on the field. Hopeful that everyone is healthy for Saturday's game.

Yes! I definitely think a win would be a huge boost (but even just as far as we've gotten is already helping). I think America was "ready" for several reasons:

⚽ Soccer was slow to catch on here, but I think a tipping point has finally been reached in which enough currently adult viewers either played recreational soccer as kids, or their own kids do now. So in any group watching, there are likely some who know the game.

⚽ (The popularity of the TV series Ted Lasso helped with that as well.)

⚽ For various reasons, the fan base of American football has declined a bit, and people are open to exploring something new to watch.

⚽ It very easy to follow the World Cup with today's technology. You no longer have to be home in front of your TV when the match is on to get highlights.
It would be a massive boost if USA won - unfortunately there is no chance, they are rapidly improving and have a young team who will go on to improve further but they are 80/1 for a reason.
Winning the next match would be huge for them.

It would be a massive boost if USA won - unfortunately there is no chance, they are rapidly improving and have a young team who will go on to improve further but they are 80/1 for a reason.
Oh, I agree! - I meant the public was ready to begin watching more, not that the team is likely to go that far. (Of course we can dream, though!)

I think just the fact that we've been in a couple of rounds now, and people have been drawn in by the World Cup hype, will make them more likely to catch a local match here and there in the future, though.

There is always a chance. (Greece 2004 Euro, @Wakey ?). We win against the Dutch and we become the dark horse of the tournament. We beat Argentina and bets start rolling in on the USA even more than England. Not saying it will happen but it could. GGG needs to make the quarter finals to save his job. England could easily lose to Senegal to be honest.

There is always a chance. (Greece 2004 Euro, @Wakey ?). We win against the Dutch and we become the dark horse of the tournament. We beat Argentina and bets start rolling in on the USA even more than England. Not saying it will happen but it could. GGG needs to make the quarter finals to save his job. England could easily lose to Senegal to be honest.
You won’t win it Buzzy, it’s a pipe dream. But life loves a dreamer.

You won’t win it Buzzy, it’s a pipe dream. But life loves a dreamer.
Greece, @Wakey, Greece. Also remember 1950? The miracle on ice in 1980 didn’t stop the USA either. Plus, GGG’s job is on the line and the players love him, they will fight extra hard for him to keep his job. We have everything to gain and nothing to lose. England is the opposite. If they lose to Senegal, it’s Iceland 2016 all over again. The Dutch are weaker than they have been in years. 90 percent of their players are average, they only have three world class players out of 26. I like our chances. I don’t hate the Dutch team though. I have Dutch heritage and proud of it. I’m actually looking for a Dutch recipe to eat while watching the match. Good luck to England but beware the underdog.

Oh, I agree! - I meant the public was ready to begin watching more, not that the team is likely to go that far. (Of course we can dream, though!)

I think just the fact that we've been in a couple of rounds now, and people have been drawn in by the World Cup hype, will make them more likely to catch a local match here and there in the future, though.
The question is that will that growth only help leagues like BPL and Bundesliga or if MLS/USL will get the boost too. MLS going to Apple plus is a toss up but USL is on ESPN plus so maybe those subscriptions will be up.

Honestly, I think there will be an increase in viewers for Saturday's games (it helps that it's at 10am and college FB conference championships are in the late afternoon/evening I'm pretty sure).

BUT, I don't think there will be a huge carryover to MSL/EPL/USL just because we got out of group. MAYBE if we make the quarter finals, and the deeper we go will help, but I don't think the change will be very steep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter