• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sars

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi all! This SARS thing is getting scary. I hope you all stay healthy! My brother lives is South Korea and planned to visit Hong Kong and go to the Stones concert. Once the Stones cancelled because of SARS, my brother cancelled his plans (he said it's really easy to cancel airline tickets in Korea). We went to Chuck E. Cheese yesterday and it was dead ~ I wondered if SARS is keeping people home. Stay healthy! S

It's got me a little worried ... but in some cases, there isn't much I can do. I gotta go to work (unfortunately ;)) and I have to do other things like go to the bank and grocery stores. Some of the other things like doctors appointment and when (time) I go to the gym, I've changed a bit. I remember a couple of months ago we were dealing with the Norwalk virus ... hopefully SARS won't stay around too long.

A very large cruise ship has cancelled all Asian itineraries until further notice FYI. How did the quarantine thing go for T.O? I am leaving for the U.S soon, perhaps it will miss Mtl....

last night and today. They took words from people that they interviewed out of context. We have an individual that is under voluntary quarentine (she doesn't have SARS). The school didn't have enough time to get pamplets out to some of the students yesterday so that the parents could understand what was happening. Again the media just takes what people WANT to hear and report that. Yes, it is scary but the media are getting people whipped up into a frenzy. By the way the 4 parents they talked to aLL have there kids in school today!

Isn't it amazing how they will just work something so that it has nothing to do with the topic at hand!

Scratch
:rolleyes:

To me, City Pulse has always been the 'preschoolers' of TV news. Years ago I boycotted them because they showed a picture of a dead baby who had starved to death in Toronto. I didn't watch them for years! I started watching them again when ds was born. Last week they screwed up again. They showed a video of dead USA soldiers (it wasn't being shown in the States). I watch the news and the STORY was ALL ABOUT THEM ~ City Pulse made themselves the story. They went on and on and on defending their position for showing the video. I was sitting there watching this and thinking, "KNOCK IT OFF AND GET ON WITH REAL NEWS!" So they showed the video ~ right or wrong, they did it, they shouldn't have made themselves the centre of attention or the centre of the story. They interviewed people on the street asking them if they cared about City Pulse showing the video. That's why I call them the 'preschoolers' of TV news. They need to be the centre of attention at all cost.

My dad ripped off this excellent saying, "Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see." That goes for TV too.

I was in Dominion yesterday afternoon and there was a lady walking around shopping with a medical mask on. I was a little scared about that. I don't trust the masks. DD has had three heart operations at Sick Kids. Before each operation dh and I would have to wear a mask around her if we thought we had a cold or infections that dd might get. We needed to keep her heatlhy before surgery. We were told that the masks only WORK FOR 20 MINUTES!!!!!!! We constantly had to change masks if we were sick.

Personally, I think SARS is going to be big. I think by the time the kids are back at school in September, it will be horrible!

Right now, it looks like a 4% death rate. So as the numbers go up, so will the deaths. A mom in my art class this morning asked if I would consider getting pregnant with SARS around. I said yes because if it's not SARS scaring us, it's something else.

KEEP HEALTHY! Sandra

Oh, one more thing ~ We (Canadian's) really need the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta, GA to help us with SARS. How much of a hurry will they be in to help us when our PM won't help them in Iraq? They are grown ups of course, and of course they will help us, but for a moment they might think "why should we?" Just a Sandra thought. S

I'm not too worried about sars on a personaly level, but my brother and his SO have been in Asia since November and are not supposed to come home until May or June. I know that they've been in Singapore and in Hanoi and that they were supposed to travel all over the place over there. I really pray that they are all right.

One of the ladies that was interviewed was VERY p*** off. She called City Pulse and complained to the Director of the News (Steven something, can't remmeber) anyways he said that he had not seen the tape, imagine that! The reporter Cynthia Mulligan is going to be calling this lady back to talk to her about the interview. I will let you know what happens (the lady is a friend of mine)

Many things can transcend political differences, and countries pulling together to find an answer to the puzzle of SARS is certainly one of them.

Health Canada is in daily contact with the CDC in Atlanta, also the World Health Organization in Geneva, and I'm sure many other research facilities as well.

Here's a link to Health Canada's Update #18, if anyone is interested.

Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome

No one has to worry about the CDC in Atlanta not helping Canada with SARS....it's a worldwide problem!
However, to equate the two - not helping with SARS because "our PM won't help them in Iraq?" is a bit silly! (even if you were just trying to make a point....)
Innocent comments sometimes do get misinterpreted.......and spread as truths.
I think Canadian's should stop worrying about what they think American's think or not think about them! I think!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter