San Juan Cruises

Carnival's announcement yesterday evening has the Fascination's southern itineraries cancelled this Saturday through January in efforts to assist fema. That's big. I'm in the 12/1 Magic out of SanJuan. Just playing the waiting game.

Though that is to house FEMA employees, not because of an inability to sail in and out of the port(s). RCCL has already had one cruise depart from San Juan, so at least that pier is up and running.

We're on a January 21st Southern out of PR. Called Disney today - obviously they aren't saying anything about the January cruises but our final payment date is a week away. We haven't made flights nor reserved a room the night before - as we're worried about whether the island and port will be functional in 90 days. With most of the island without power or running water - it seems a stretch. Other options are to shift to a western cruise out of the mainland or just cancel outright.

Has anyone got any advice or thoughts on what we should do? This was/is going to be our first couples vacation since our oldest was born 14 years ago.

Note, Please no political comments and I'm incredible sensitive to the people of PR. I'm sure they want and need tourism to return as fast as possible to generate tax income to help with rebuilding. We're just in a situation where we have to make a personal decision on this trip.

We're on a January 21st Southern out of PR. Called Disney today - obviously they aren't saying anything about the January cruises but our final payment date is a week away. We haven't made flights nor reserved a room the night before - as we're worried about whether the island and port will be functional in 90 days. With most of the island without power or running water - it seems a stretch. Other options are to shift to a western cruise out of the mainland or just cancel outright.

Has anyone got any advice or thoughts on what we should do? This was/is going to be our first couples vacation since our oldest was born 14 years ago.

Note, Please no political comments and I'm incredible sensitive to the people of PR. I'm sure they want and need tourism to return as fast as possible to generate tax income to help with rebuilding. We're just in a situation where we have to make a personal decision on this trip.

I just made my final payment on my January 14th cruise. The San Juan airport is operating and most of the hotels are open. I am trying to be really optimistic (for Puerto Rico's sake). I doubt it will be perfect in January, but I think it will be good enough to safely get us in and out of there. We had already planned to only fly in the night before our cruise and fly out the same day our cruise gets back so we weren't planning on spending much time there anyway.

The touristy parts of the island will be fine much sooner than the rural areas. It's the same in other port cities in Mexico and even Icy Strait Point, Alaska. The tourism dollar helps the local economy so much that if you didn't venture inland you wouldn't see the abject poverty just a few miles from shore.

Well it looks like the repo to San Juan is a go. They finally changed Tortola to Antigua. I wonder with the change they will let people reschedule without penalty.

11/26 NY-SJ is a go with a stop in St. John's Antigua instead of Tortola. We're on the 12/1 SJ-Miami and we've been given the green light. Our all aboard time in SJ is now 7:00pm. They are going to let us know about Tortola, but it might be another day at sea instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter