San Andreas Fault??

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
My nutty DH thought it would be fun to go see the 'famous' San Andreas Fault. Is there anything to see there??? Has anyone ever gone??? How long from Disneyland??? Will my kids mutiny????????

My nutty DH thought it would be fun to go see the 'famous' San Andreas Fault. Is there anything to see there??? Has anyone ever gone??? How long from Disneyland??? Will my kids mutiny????????

There really isn't anything to see, it's not like there's a big crack in the ground. You can see evidence of the fault, but no where near Disneyland. We've gone on a Jeep tour from Palm Springs that goes into the desert to the see where the fault is, probably about 2 hours from Disneyland. There's certainly nothing that will be thrilling to kids on vacation unless they are geology freaks.

I've seen it farther north, and like the PP said, there's not much to see. You can see evidence of it, but it's not a dramatic crack or anything. Where I saw it, it looked sort of like a ditch. I thought it was kind of cool to see it and be standing right by it, but it's not the sort of thing I would go out of my way to visit. We were touring CA for our honeymoon to introduce me to the state (I'm from MN) and DH stopped at Mission San Juan Bautista for a picnic lunch, then casually pointed out that we were just feet away from the San Andreas Fault. I was very surprised! But if you don't know what it is, there's nothing to make it stand out.

If you're going to be near by (less than an hour drive) and you're really into seeing it, it's kind of cool. If you have no interest in seeing it, you really are going to be disappointed.

So yeah, I suspect your kids will mutiny unless they think it's cool, too! ;)

Here's a link to Earthquake information.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

It shows the world earthquake info.
At the top of the map, "jump to" click on California.

This will show you where the faults run, with RED lines.
Plus it will note earthquakes and the magnitude for the last week.

This was really interesting to watch after the quake in Japan.

Geemo

I grew up living right ON the San Andreas Fault and still live pretty close to it and there is NOTHING TO SEE. Some areas of CA may have some evidence of it but there is really nothing worth the trip to "see" something, the fault is under the surface. You will be disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter