Sailling Suggestions

MickeyMouseCD524

DIS Veteran
Not going to lie we're a little traumatized by our Dream cruise being cancelled last week and having to scramble to find accommodations at WDW. We are most likely going to take advantage of the 20% off our next sailing offer they extended to us, but we are thinking of sailing out of NYC instead. DH is a teacher and we can only sail in the summer which basically promises we will be sailing during hurricane season. Does anyone have suggestions for itineraries from NY? We're from that area and would much rather be close to home if our cruise is cancelled again rather than losing money on flights and lodging. Any suggestions?

NYC DCL cruises only happen in the fall on Magic, probably when school is in session. The weeks they are offered and itineraries are limited. They go to Canada or Bermuda (with a stop at PC to go to WDW), Bahamas or a repo to San Juan that can’t be added to the cruise after because of the PVSA.

I understand you being afraid of cruise cancellations, but they do not happen very often. They usually sail around bad weather. I would book any cruise that fits your schedule, maybe earlier in the summer or somewhere else (Alaska, California), and make sure to get insurance.

We went on spring break this year and the weather was perfect (in our opinions) but the ocean was FREEZING. We're booked for Christmas next year, hopefully the ocean will be a little warmer. We wanted to do fall break but it didn't come together for us. We won't pull DD out of school for a vacation but one of the reasons I like the "balanced schedule" is that we have 3 2-week breaks during the year.

As others have said, the Magic only sails from NYC during September, October, and November (and it stops before Thanksgiving, so no chance of using that week). You might want to look at another cruise line. Or, when the new DCL ships come online, perhaps there will be more year-round NYC availability.

I would recommend trying to travel during spring break. In March and April hurricanes are not an issue.

NYC DCL cruises only happen in the fall on Magic, probably when school is in session. The weeks they are offered and itineraries are limited. They go to Canada or Bermuda (with a stop at PC to go to WDW), Bahamas or a repo to San Juan that can’t be added to the cruise after because of the PVSA.

I understand you being afraid of cruise cancellations, but they do not happen very often. They usually sail around bad weather. I would book any cruise that fits your schedule, maybe earlier in the summer or somewhere else (Alaska, California), and make sure to get insurance.

Thanks he was really looking forward to the Bahamas (he had never been before) I'll take a look and see if we can swing Alaska or something earlier in the summer.

He works at a camp in the summer and Labor Day weekend was one of the only two weekends open.

We went on spring break this year and the weather was perfect (in our opinions) but the ocean was FREEZING. We're booked for Christmas next year, hopefully the ocean will be a little warmer. We wanted to do fall break but it didn't come together for us. We won't pull DD out of school for a vacation but one of the reasons I like the "balanced schedule" is that we have 3 2-week breaks during the year.

We can't do Christmas but will maybe look at Spring Break, I'll need to see if I can take off with such short notice for that week.

If you are at all interested in an Alaskan cruise, I would use the 20% discount on one. Alaskan is beautiful and those cruises usually cost more, so getting 20% discount on one would be great.

We are interested in Alaska, but for his first cruise he had his heart set on the Bahamas :(

We'll definitely look into it though. Or maybe try doing a short cruise around memorial day.

In the summer, you can sail on the Magic in Europe. That could also be a good use of 20% off!

We've been going back and forth on that. Have you done the Europe sailings?

We're trying to figure out if it's better to cruise or tour Europe ourselves by land.

It might be worth checking the NY sailings. You said you're close to NY. If your husband has all the fall Jewish holidays off you may be able to fit a 5 day cruise in. I managed it from NY a couple years ago without my son missing school because the holidays lined up right (maybe with Columbus day involved, too). Although that doesn't take into account wanting to go to the Bahamas! (Also, the year I did that cruse, the next cruise, which was supposed to go south, got rerouted to Canada because of a hurricane!)!

It might be worth checking the NY sailings. You said you're close to NY. If your husband has all the fall Jewish holidays off you may be able to fit a 5 day cruise in. I managed it from NY a couple years ago without my son missing school because the holidays lined up right (maybe with Columbus day involved, too). Although that doesn't take into account wanting to go to the Bahamas! (Also, the year I did that cruse, the next cruise, which was supposed to go south, got rerouted to Canada because of a hurricane!)!
Oh that's a good thought! I'll have to check the Jewish holidays. His program is weird and has the most random days off. Rerouting is one thing but we were already in FL when the hurricane started messing with the cruise and had a heck of a time trying to change rooms and flights. Which I think is what put him over the edge.

If you can, travel earlier in the summer, like June or July. Hurricane season doesn't usually ramp up until August.

I'll take a look at his schedule he usually ends up working at a camp at the beginning of the summer but maybe we'll be able to swing it before it starts.

You could also sail out of Galveston to the Bahamas over Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. The 20% off would help lower those high season rates.

Not going to lie we're a little traumatized by our Dream cruise being cancelled last week and having to scramble to find accommodations at WDW. We are most likely going to take advantage of the 20% off our next sailing offer they extended to us, but we are thinking of sailing out of NYC instead. DH is a teacher and we can only sail in the summer which basically promises we will be sailing during hurricane season. Does anyone have suggestions for itineraries from NY? We're from that area and would much rather be close to home if our cruise is cancelled again rather than losing money on flights and lodging. Any suggestions?
Most of the summer is not peak hurricane season, which lasts from late August through mid-October. September is the absolute peak month for hurricanes, & the riskiest month for booked travel in the Caribbean. That's why late-August through mid-October cruises are relatively cheap.

Hurricanes are very unlikely in June, July or November, even though they're technically part of hurricane season.

Teachers can also cruise during spring break, Thanksgiving break & winter break. I'm a teacher & winter break is my favorite time to cruise the Caribbean/Bahamas by far. The weather is great & the ship is beautifully decorated for the holidays. The Bahamian ocean water is cooler in winter & spring, but it is never freezing. It is always a safe temperature for swimming.

Last edited:
We've been going back and forth on that. Have you done the Europe sailings?
Do you have kids? If so, the Europe sailings are a GREAT way to ease them into Europe, esp. if you don't know how they will adapt to the time change. I took my 8/11 yo's on the Med last year and it was a huge success! If it's just the two of you, a land based trip will give you more freedom and more sightseeing options, but with kids, you can't beat a cruise for the first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter