Sacramento to San Diego

behappyJules

Earning My Ears
Hi all!
We are planning a trip for June 2025. Flying from Pennsylvania to Sacramento and then plan to rent a car and drive to Yosemite. I'd like to stay at the Ahwahnee if possible. From there, we'd like to go to Three Rivers to see General Sherman and hike the Sequoia National Forest. From there, we will head to Anaheim and spend a couple of days in Disneyland. It will be our second trip to Disneyland (our first was in 2019), but our first time exploring California. From there we plan to head down to San Diego to catch a flight home. While in San Diego, we are thinking about going to the zoo, safari park and maybe the Birch Aquarium. We like adventurous, outdoors, educational activities. DH and I are both elementary teachers with DS (17) and DD (15) - (ages at the time of the trip). I welcome any insights or ideas of must do activities/places or things you would skip or change in our plans. Having never been there before, I've only had the internet to explore ideas.

Coronado Island and a walk around the hotel Del Coronado. Great beach.Cabrilllo Monumement and Balboa Park and musuems- esp. the air and space museum.La Jolla cove should not be missed.

Coronado Island and a walk around the hotel Del Coronado. Great beach.Cabrilllo Monumement and Balboa Park and musuems- esp. the air and space museum.La Jolla cove should not be missed.
Thank you for these suggestions! I think we're definitely going to have to spend more time in San Diego than I had anticipated!

How many days are you planning for each leg of this trip? I assume you know that Ahwahnee books very quickly, especially during the summer.

Sacramento to Yosemite isn't a bad drive. Yosemite to Sequoia isn't bad. However, Sequoia to Anaheim will be a bear. Do you plan on stopping anywhere in between?

Hi all!
We are planning a trip for June 2025. Flying from Pennsylvania to Sacramento and then plan to rent a car and drive to Yosemite. I'd like to stay at the Ahwahnee if possible. From there, we'd like to go to Three Rivers to see General Sherman and hike the Sequoia National Forest. From there, we will head to Anaheim and spend a couple of days in Disneyland. It will be our second trip to Disneyland (our first was in 2019), but our first time exploring California. From there we plan to head down to San Diego to catch a flight home. While in San Diego, we are thinking about going to the zoo, safari park and maybe the Birch Aquarium. We like adventurous, outdoors, educational activities. DH and I are both elementary teachers with DS (17) and DD (15) - (ages at the time of the trip). I welcome any insights or ideas of must do activities/places or things you would skip or change in our plans. Having never been there before, I've only had the internet to explore ideas.

Make sure to book Ahwahnee early, it can fill up very quickly. Today (May 27) they are taking reservations for May 29 2025 (you can book more than 1 night as long as the reservation starts on 5/29/2025). We weren't able to figure out exactly when the reservations open, I think it's not always consistent, but somewhere between 3 AM to 6 AM pacific time. I don't know if it's completely necessary to wake up at 3 AM, but certainly would book the first day they are available. May 28 2025 for example is already sold out.

How many days are you planning for each leg of this trip? I assume you know that Ahwahnee books very quickly, especially during the summer.

Sacramento to Yosemite isn't a bad drive. Yosemite to Sequoia isn't bad. However, Sequoia to Anaheim will be a bear. Do you plan on stopping anywhere in between?
I knew Ahwahnee is difficult to book, but didn't realize it was as bad as the next poster indicated. Any ideas of where to stay if I don't get it? I'm thinking 2 full days in Yosemite, possibly stopping at Mariposa Grove on the way to Sequoia, 1 night there, hike a bit in the morning and then drive to Anaheim. Two days in Disneyland/California Adventure and then 2-3 in San Diego.

Make sure to book Ahwahnee early, it can fill up very quickly. Today (May 27) they are taking reservations for May 29 2025 (you can book more than 1 night as long as the reservation starts on 5/29/2025). We weren't able to figure out exactly when the reservations open, I think it's not always consistent, but somewhere between 3 AM to 6 AM pacific time. I don't know if it's completely necessary to wake up at 3 AM, but certainly would book the first day they are available. May 28 2025 for example is already sold out.
Thanks for the heads up! I knew Ahwahnee was hard to get, but I didn't realize it was that difficult. I've been checking occasionally to see when the reservations open, but I'll have to watch even more closely now.

We are also now considering starting in San Diego and heading north to Sacramento since we're coming from the east coast. Having done it once before, I know we'll be up super early at least the first several mornings, so we'll have more energy to get up and start things early in San Diego and Anaheim.

We are also now considering starting in San Diego and heading north to Sacramento since we're coming from the east coast. Having done it once before, I know we'll be up super early at least the first several mornings, so we'll have more energy to get up and start things early in San Diego and Anaheim.
Is there something that you want to see in Sacramento or is that just a convenient airport to fly out of?

Is this what you are thinking?

Day 1 - arrive in SD
Day 2 - SD
Day 3 - SD, drive to Anaheim
Day 4 - Disneyland
Day 5 - Disneyland
Day 6 - Drive to Sequoia
Day 7 - Sequoia, drive to Yosemite (?)
Day 8 - Yosemite
Day 9 - Yosemite
Day 10 - Drive to Sacramento

I strongly, strongly suggest you drive Hwy One part of the way, especially Big Sur. It will be fully open late this fall, and hopefully will be good to go next year. Current Big Sur news here: https://bigsurkate.blog/
It would be very difficult to take Hwy 1 if they want to visit Yosemite and Sequoia. Save Hwy 1 for another trip.

Is there something that you want to see in Sacramento or is that just a convenient airport to fly out of?

Is this what you are thinking?

Day 1 - arrive in SD
Day 2 - SD
Day 3 - SD, drive to Anaheim
Day 4 - Disneyland
Day 5 - Disneyland
Day 6 - Drive to Sequoia
Day 7 - Sequoia, drive to Yosemite (?)
Day 8 - Yosemite
Day 9 - Yosemite
Day 10 - Drive to Sacramento

It would be very difficult to take Hwy 1 if they want to visit Yosemite and Sequoia. Save Hwy 1 for another trip.
Yes, that itinerary looks like what we were thinking. Sacramento was just a cheaper, convenient airport than anything closer to Yosemite and without having to retrace our steps back to our original airport. We wanted to see as much as we could and keep it within 10 days.

I would strongly recommend avoiding Coronado as a beach. It's nice to walk around but it's almost always under a water quality advisory/closed due to sewage nowadays.

I knew Ahwahnee is difficult to book, but didn't realize it was as bad as the next poster indicated. Any ideas of where to stay if I don't get it? I'm thinking 2 full days in Yosemite, possibly stopping at Mariposa Grove on the way to Sequoia, 1 night there, hike a bit in the morning and then drive to Anaheim. Two days in Disneyland/California Adventure and then 2-3 in San Diego.
Keep in mind that the safari park and the zoo are 45-60 minutes apart, more in rush hour. Both can be full day experiences. If you're trying to do both of those, and general sightseeing (highly recommend Coronado or La Jolla, Balboa Park, the Midway), you'll want to think about how much time you need.

Keep in mind that the safari park and the zoo are 45-60 minutes apart, more in rush hour. Both can be full day experiences. If you're trying to do both of those, and general sightseeing (highly recommend Coronado or La Jolla, Balboa Park, the Midway), you'll want to think about how much time you need.
Thank you. There is definitely more that we want to see than time we will actually have. The things you recommended are on our must see list. As of now, I think we're going to get a hotel closer to the safari park the night before we go there and do the park the day that we will head to Anaheim in the evening. We have decided that we are definitely going to have to do another California trip in 5 years and will have to hit all of the things we don't have time for this time. It's quite a list and I always love having something to look forward to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter