RV Friendly Rest Stops on I95

Unfortunately, in this economy, I think we are going to see a lot more "campers" in the Wal-Mart parking lots.

Unfortunately, in this economy, I think we are going to see a lot more "campers" in the Wal-Mart parking lots.

I know that seemed like an insensitive remark by me but this has been happening for a while now before the economy went bad. What I mean is the people who are basically moving in. There's a row up there now that have been there for a while. Mostly in the past I've noticed a lot of vets seem to be the one's doing this because they can't get employment because of mental issues or other disabilities. The government won't give them a decent check for serving their country but they'll support an unmarried mom who keeps pushing babies out. Sorry for getting off topic but go look and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Have done the Walmarts, the flying J's and the rest areas. Never felt threatened in a rest area as we stick to rest areas that have alot of other people there! would recommend any of them for a few hours rest. If you are looking to have electric or maybe dump,refill water etc, I would agree with the others that recommended Pedro's campground at South of the border. right off the exit, clean quiet, can go in at any hour as the office to register is open all night.pirate:

We tried Flying J a few years back (I forget exactly where, but it was along 95). My biggest complaint was that it was noisy for sleeping.

We frequently grab a night's rest at a WalMart along 95 - typically near Richmond VA and in Jacksonville, but we've also stopped in SC and GA. Never any problems - all well lit, very little traffic and no trouble with anyone bothering us at all. Typically there might be 1 or 2 other campers there also, but that's about it.

:woohoo: This will be our first time driving down from Maine to Disney with our TT, I was thinking about stopping at a Wal-Mart and park for the night, I see that alot at our local Wal-Mart. :confused3 This should be doable, right?

We have stayed overnight in a Wal-Mart parking lot a few times. I was pretty nervous the first time, which was at a Super Wal-Mart just off I95 in Savannah Georgia. It was on our way to FW last Easter and it turned out to be a good experience. We pulled into that particular Wal-Mart about 10:30 pm and there were roughly half a dozen rigs parked around the perimeter of the lot. We found a spot, started the generator and started to make some dinner. It was then that I noticed the orange strobe just outside our door. I figured that we were going to be asked to leave. I stepped outside and I was greeted by a young woman who was a member of Wal-Mart security. She was writing down my tag number as I asked her if something was wrong. She said “no” and told me that they like to keep a log of people who stay on the lot. She asked if I had stayed with them before, which I found kind of funny. She invited me to make ourselves comfortable and pointed out which of the stores entrances would be open all night. She told me that if we ever felt threatened by anything or anyone to blow our horn or flash our lights and someone would come check on us.

Our overnight stays in Wal-Mart parking lots have averaged less than eight hours each. These nights certainly aren’t the most restful that I have had but I think that it serves its purpose; a place to get off the highway for a few hours and get some wrest while traveling to a destination. We have always patronized the store we are staying at by at least buying doughnuts and juice in the morning. As with a lot of things I’m sure there are people who take advantage and I would understand completely if Wal-Mart stopped being so hospitable at some or all of their locations.

We drive from Long Island and Stay at the Flying J in Latta SC. Flying J is RV friendly. You can check the web sit www.flyingj.com. We get gas at the last rest stop in Jersey and we can make it to Latta SC. on a tank of gas. This time we will be towing a truck so that should change. We travel with dogs so we stop about every 3 hours walk the dogs strech our legs and get a bite to eat and get back on the road. some Walmarts allow overnightparking There is a group on yahoo that you could check with.
If the kids are kept entertained it should be a good ride

Someone else here that's a flying j fan:) :)

My dad travels to florida every yr and they stay ov nite a cracker barrel, my dad told us they let you stay ov nite.

My dad travels to florida every yr and they stay ov nite a cracker barrel, my dad told us they let you stay ov nite.

Wow - do you know where? Anyone we've ever stopped at had signs all over saying no overnight/camper parking. :confused3

Thanks! Love to know which ones allow it. Would be nice to pop in for breakfast in the morning before heading back out. :)

We stay at the Florence, SC KOA going both ways. Inexpensive, clean, easy-in and easy-out. We pull in, hook up, throw the kids in the pool and have a nice relaxing evening in the camper. Up early the next morning and on the road.

The KOA is about a mile and a half from the exit. There is a nice big gas station right there to fill up, and I believe there is a Flying J just south of there, within 20 miles.

Personally, I would feel safer in a campground than at a rest stop or parking lot. YMMV.

Personally, I would feel safer in a campground than at a rest stop or parking lot. YMMV.
I agree but only once did DH pull over for more then 4 hours. :sad2: He puts himself on a timeline and we need to follow it. :rotfl2: Oh well, at least we get to the Fort early. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 Thanks JHawk, that's where I was thinking about stopping for the night. I think we're gonna leave around 7 or 8 pm on 10/27, kids can sleep in the vehicle during the night:goodvibes no "are we there yet", and maybe stop in VA for a few hrs to rest, then park for the night in Savannah,:cool1: then get our doughnuts and coffe in the morning and we're off to FW, YEAH!!!!

Hope you have a great time. Should be the third exit into GA. (Savannah/Hilton Head Int'l Airport exit) I've been to that Wal-Mart many a time when lived in Garden City. At one time, thet didn't allow over night RV parking...Guess they changed their policy. It's been over a year since I've been there. Be safe. FYI...there is a Camping World next exit up (Hwy. 80 Pooler) that has a dump station and can fill your propane if you need it.

The Welcome to georgia rest area. large well lit and lots of other RVer's there and if you leave by 9am you should be at the fort by checkin

This year, I'm gonna spend my whole vacation in the Walmart lot.

THE NEW WALMART BY STACKTESTER SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PLACE TO VACATION

I know that seemed like an insensitive remark by me but this has been happening for a while now before the economy went bad. What I mean is the people who are basically moving in. There's a row up there now that have been there for a while. Mostly in the past I've noticed a lot of vets seem to be the one's doing this because they can't get employment because of mental issues or other disabilities. The government won't give them a decent check for serving their country but they'll support an unmarried mom who keeps pushing babies out. Sorry for getting off topic but go look and you'll see what I'm talking about.

YOU'LL FIT RIGHT IN FTWILDERNESSGUY!

Lord, I apologize for that one there, and please be with all the starving Pygmies down there in New Guinea! Amen!

We always spend the night at Flying J truck stops when we travel. We have a fuel card that gives us a penny a gallon off our fuel too. They are convenient to get off and on the interstate. We never had a problem, always felt safe. That is what truck stops are for! The RV spots are by the building away from the truck. There is noise from the truck coming and going. :headache:

Love the breakfast buffet.:thumbsup2

We have stayed at the Ruthers Glenn, VA one several times and St. Augustine, FL fueled up at Dillon, SC when we went to Myrtle Beach. I see there is one in Brunswick, GA on I95 too

We were going to spend the night at Ruthers Glen, VA on our way home from the Fort in 2002 when we came to a complete stand still on 95. It was the night that the Beltway Sniper shot struck again in Ashland, Va. That night we ran to and from the camper! :scared1:

Hope this helps!

We stay at the Florence, SC KOA going both ways. Inexpensive, clean, easy-in and easy-out. We pull in, hook up, throw the kids in the pool and have a nice relaxing evening in the camper. Up early the next morning and on the road.

The KOA is about a mile and a half from the exit. There is a nice big gas station right there to fill up, and I believe there is a Flying J just south of there, within 20 miles.

We stay there on the way back all the time. Last year, there were some kids from Mechanicsburg in the pool all shrivelled up waiting for their parents to come get them to go to Disney World. They said they had been in the pool for days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter