Rust Belt Road Trip (2 UPDATES--1/18)

The chance to follow an Oblivious TR form its inception!
Cool! Sign me up.

BTW: is it possible for something oblivious to actually have a beginning?

:welcome: Andy! That's a much better greeting than Barry's.
What else would you expect from a guy who wears a shirt with... well, I'll let you get to that part of your TR before we discuss that.:lmao:

Actually, I was hoping it meant she would be hired for the renovation of the Dinosaur ride at AK. :thumbsup2
I've never really understood why everybody hates on that ride.:confused3
I kind of like it.

So now do I go back and edit the first post with my correct age, or do I leave it as evidence of my idiocy? It's not like there won't be plenty more evidence down the road.
You've already screwed up and been called out on it. You might as well just leave it.:lmao::rotfl2:

Just found your report. Cant wait to follow along!

:welcome: Jason! Glad you're here!

I'm here and joining in! Will try and get back soon to get caught up.......

:welcome: Marv! I know you're busy, but thanks for coming along!

I say leave it alone so everyone sees the REAL you. ;)

:sad2:

:lmao::rotfl2:

The chance to follow an Oblivious TR form its inception!
Cool! Sign me up.

BTW: is it possible for something oblivious to actually have a beginning?

:welcome: Rob!

:scratchin If someone writes a TR but there are no readers, did the trip actually occur? :confused3

What else would you expect from a guy who wears a shirt with... well, I'll let you get to that part of your TR before we discuss that.:lmao:

I'm gonna have to create a spoiler warning smiley soon...

I've never really understood why everybody hates on that ride.:confused3
I kind of like it.

No, you misunderstand. I like Dinosaur, too. I just see my daughter's interests as the perfect way to try and get employee discounts at WDW...you know, if they would choose to have her work on something like that. :idea:

You've already screwed up and been called out on it. You might as well just leave it.:lmao::rotfl2:

Well, it'll be correct someday.

:scratchin If someone writes a TR but there are no readers, did the trip actually occur? :confused3

{shameless plug}
I think this is in reference to my trip report HERE!
{end shameless plug}

I figure, what's a nemesis for if not to steal readers from your trip report.

Of course now I actually have to go and post an update at some point

Subscribing
I also have to tell you that I thought of you yesterday. We watched Ghostbusters and there were a lot of good quotes for a TR, I thought.

Hi-diddley-ho, neighborinos! I'm back with a brand-new trip report about our recently-completed 11-day, 9-state, 2341.4-mile road trip through America's Rust Belt. How did we arrive at the decision to make this trip our vacation for the year?

<<<insert wavy effects and flashback sounds>>>

Dateline: September 2010.

We had just returned from a wonderful week at Walt Disney World (you can read about it here), and naturally wanted to start planning our next vacation rather than consider the reality of returning to work, laundry piles, etc.

Me: So where should we go next year?

DW: Disney World!

Me: I agree. Let's start planning.

DW: Wait...your parents won't be going with us and paying for the lodging next year.

Me: Crap. (thinking) Have we hit the lottery yet?

DW: No.

Me: Ok, Disney World is out. What else can we do?

DW: (thinking) Disneyland?

Me: It probably needs to be someplace within driving distance. (snaps fingers) Hey, I have an idea!

DW: An idea? What is it?

Me: It's a new thought born out of inspiration, but that's not important right now.

DW: No, I mean, what's your idea?

Me: We could drive out to Chicago and back, doing a big loop to hit various attractions and destinations along the way. We loved Chicago when we were there in 2007. And there are a bunch of DisDads and other friends out that way that we could meet up with, too.

DW: (furrows brow) DisDads? Are they your slightly psychotic online buddies in that club? The ones with the illegal logo that always make fun of you on Facebook?

Me: Yes. Yes, they are.

DW: So you want to drive thousands of miles in the middle of summer cooped up with 3 kids in a minivan going to places we've never been before and hang out with people you've never actually met? What could possibly go wrong?

<<<(More wavy effects and end-of-flashback noises)>>>

Thus, the 2011 Rust Belt Road Trip was born. Our cast of characters:

IMG_9846.jpg

ME: Mark. Age 37. Native of Delaware (known as a Delaweenie), Philly sports fan, movie buff, Disney geek, and general nerd.

DW: Julie. Age 29 (;)). Native of Pennsylvania. Aspiring photographer, arts-and-crafts lover, World's Greatest Wife And Mother® (totally objective opinion), and maker of Julie's Key Lime Pie Of Awesomeness©. Also nerdy in a cuter way.

DD: Sarah. Age 9. Native Delaweenie. Future paleontologist or architect, or perhaps paleo-architect. Also loves movies and National Parks.

DS: David. Age 7. Native Delaweenie. Future baseball player, if my steroid guy comes through. Loves sports, sports and anything to do with sports.

DS: Scott. Age 5. Native Delaweenie. Future...something. Scotty's kind of unique. May end up a veterinarian, with his love of animals (especially dogs). May end up a late-night-talk-show-host. I dunno. Whatever he does, it'll be entertaining.

If you're still reading along, welcome! Also: what's wrong with you? In any case, I assume you're along for the ride, so thanks for being here!

Coming Up Next:We travel to Paradise! And then Pittsburgh.

I am in. I hear there are some celebrity Disdad sightings along the way. You never mentioned the key lime pie of awsomeness :confused3

I would have paid for everyones admission to the childrens museum for a slice of awesome key lime pie. :worship:

Hi-diddley-ho, neighborinos! I'm back with a brand-new trip report about our recently-completed 11-day, 9-state, 2341.4-mile road trip through America's Rust Belt. How did we arrive at the decision to make this trip our vacation for the year?

We had just returned from a wonderful week at Walt Disney World (you can read about it here), and naturally wanted to start planning our next vacation rather than consider the reality of returning to work, laundry piles, etc.

DW: Wait...your parents won't be going with us and paying for the lodging next year.

Me: It probably needs to be someplace within driving distance. (snaps fingers) Hey, I have an idea!

Me: It's a new thought born out of inspiration, but that's not important right now.

Me: We could drive out to Chicago and back, doing a big loop to hit various attractions and destinations along the way. We loved Chicago when we were there in 2007. And there are a bunch of DisDads and other friends out that way that we could meet up with, too.

DW: (furrows brow) DisDads? Are they your slightly psychotic online buddies in that club? The ones with the illegal logo that always make fun of you on Facebook?

DW: So you want to drive thousands of miles in the middle of summer cooped up with 3 kids in a minivan going to places we've never been before and hang out with people you've never actually met? What could possibly go wrong?

IMG_9846.jpg

ME: Mark. Age 37. Native of Delaware (known as a Delaweenie), Philly sports fan, movie buff, Disney geek, and general nerd.

DW: Julie. Age 29 (;)). Native of Pennsylvania. Aspiring photographer, arts-and-crafts lover, World's Greatest Wife And Mother® (totally objective opinion), and maker of Julie's Key Lime Pie Of Awesomeness©. Also nerdy in a cuter way.

DD: Sarah. Age 9. Native Delaweenie. Future paleontologist or architect, or perhaps paleo-architect. Also loves movies and National Parks.

DS: David. Age 7. Native Delaweenie. Future baseball player, if my steroid guy comes through. Loves sports, sports and anything to do with sports.

DS: Scott. Age 5. Native Delaweenie. Future...something. Scotty's kind of unique. May end up a veterinarian, with his love of animals (especially dogs). May end up a late-night-talk-show-host. I dunno. Whatever he does, it'll be entertaining.

If you're still reading along, welcome! Also: what's wrong with you? In any case, I assume you're along for the ride, so thanks for being here!

I am in. I hear there are some celebrity Disdad sightings along the way. You never mentioned the key lime pie of awsomeness :confused3

I would have paid for everyones admission to the childrens museum for a slice of awesome key lime pie. :worship:

Actually… ::yes::

You’ve picked up four times as many followers in two pages, then I succeeded in picking up in an entire TR and a third of another one… yet I do remember taking the trip. Actually, my bank account remembers taking the trip but I digress.

Looking forward to the ride (maybe I’ll learn what I’m doing wrong :lmao: )

I'm here...will Ryan reynolds be cast to play me in the movie version of this trip report?:rotfl2:

IMG_9846.jpg

:lmao::lmao: that was a riot mark!!! i love the conversation, sounds like tammy and myself.:lmao: anyway, im in, see what happens when you make a public post, anyone can show up!!:lmao:

I'm not psychotic at all. Oh, I've tried to see the future - crystal balls, tea leaves, huffing gasoline fumes - but none of it worked. :(

Luckily the voices in my head tell me everything I need to know about the future!:woohoo:

huffing gasoline, that explains the shirts!:lmao:

{shameless plug}
I think this is in reference to my trip report HERE!
{end shameless plug}

I figure, what's a nemesis for if not to steal readers from your trip report.

Of course now I actually have to go and post an update at some point

Shameless plugging of Trip Reports is not only expected, but encouraged! :thumbsup2

Subscribing
I also have to tell you that I thought of you yesterday. We watched Ghostbusters and there were a lot of good quotes for a TR, I thought.

:welcome: Katharina! I'm glad to have you here!

So if you had to use a quote from Ghostbusters to describe me, would it be, "You're more like a game show host."? :rotfl:

I am in. I hear there are some celebrity Disdad sightings along the way. You never mentioned the key lime pie of awsomeness
I would have paid for everyones admission to the childrens museum for a slice of awesome key lime pie.

:welcome: aboard David! Sure, now you offer me admission. :rotfl2:

I am in. I hear there are some celebrity Disdad sightings along the way. You never mentioned the key lime pie of awsomeness
I would have paid for everyones admission to the childrens museum for a slice of awesome key lime pie.

Ever get that feeling of deja vu? :confused3

Actually… ::yes::

You’ve picked up four times as many followers in two pages, then I succeeded in picking up in an entire TR and a third of another one… yet I do remember taking the trip. Actually, my bank account remembers taking the trip but I digress.

Looking forward to the ride (maybe I’ll learn what I’m doing wrong :lmao: )

Well, most of these folks read my previous report. I also may or may not have shamelessly plugged it to them... :rolleyes1

And they're just nice folks. I read their stuff, they read my stuff, that sort of thing. No biggie.

Anyway, let me take this opportunity to push Rob's in-progress Disney Cruise TR as well! (see his siggie for link) He just finished up a nice little digression on vexilllo...vexillani...vexillollipop... the study of flags. :thumbsup2

I'm here...will Ryan reynolds be cast to play me in the movie version of this trip report?:rotfl2:

:welcome: Steve! Let's go with Johnny Depp. I read this article not long ago explaining why Ryan Reynolds isn't really a movie star. :rotfl2:

:lmao::lmao: that was a riot mark!!! i love the conversation, sounds like tammy and myself.:lmao: anyway, im in, see what happens when you make a public post, anyone can show up!!:lmao:

:welcome: aboard Dave! Don't worry, I'm used to the abuse by now.

huffing gasoline, that explains the shirts!:lmao:

:lmao::rotfl2: Wait, do you mean Barry's shirts or mine? :confused3

Shameless plugging of Trip Reports is not only expected, but encouraged! :thumbsup2

:welcome: Katharina! I'm glad to have you here!

So if you had to use a quote from Ghostbusters to describe me, would it be, "You're more like a game show host."? :rotfl:

:welcome: aboard David! Sure, now you offer me admission. :rotfl2:

Ever get that feeling of deja vu? :confused3

Well, most of these folks read my previous report. I also may or may not have shamelessly plugged it to them... :rolleyes1

And they're just nice folks. I read their stuff, they read my stuff, that sort of thing. No biggie.

Anyway, let me take this opportunity to push Rob's in-progress Disney Cruise TR as well! (see his siggie for link) He just finished up a nice little digression on vexilllo...vexillani...vexillollipop... the study of flags. :thumbsup2

:welcome: Steve! Let's go with Johnny Depp. I read this article not long ago explaining why Ryan Reynolds isn't really a movie star. :rotfl2:

:welcome: aboard Dave! Don't worry, I'm used to the abuse by now.

:lmao::rotfl2: Wait, do you mean Barry's shirts or mine? :confused3

barry. hes the one huffin gas.:lmao:

Like any good road trip, this one started the night before. Julie and I (ok, mostly Julie) had spent the past week slowly packing luggage and gathering most of our worldly possessions to pack in the van. This included strategically packing suitcases so that we'd only have to unload one at a time when checking into a hotel for the night (Bag 1 had clothes for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and so on). Obviously, since this was both clever and wise, it was Julie's idea.

We also made sure we had the most essential items for our road trip: a working portable DVD player and power cord, and the kids' Nintendo DS's. Oh, and these (check out the orange teeth!):

IMG_8991.jpg

We had at least 8 hours of driving to do on Thursday plus a couple of sightseenig stops, so our plan was to leave the house at 6:00 a.m. Lest you think this was some kind of torture on our kids, 6:00 a.m. is about when they normally wake up each day. Yup, even on Saturdays. Which means it's normally when Julie and I wake up, too. So getting up slightly earlier wasn't much of a problem.

We actually got a late start: 6:04 a.m. After a quick stop at the World's Greatest Convenience Store for breakfast and

IMG_8989.jpg

...we were on our way. Soon, we crossed the Pennsylvania line and saw this mileage sign:

IMG_8978.jpg

Clearly, we were starting things out on the right track. Although I think this place was just advertising the fact that they weren't far from Delaware:

IMG_8982.jpg

That's also not too far from glennbo123's neck of the woods, so it could be a reference to them as well. And Glenn, I would have arranged to stop and say hi, but this was about 7:15 on a weekday morning. So you're welcome. :thumbsup2

We finally rolled through the town of Paradise, PA. I remember riding the historic Strasburg Railroad several times over the years, and the conductors always followed the same script. They announce, "Welcome...to...Paradise!" just as the train pulls into an overgrown, grimy maintenance yard. :rotfl:

You'll be happy to know that Paradise has its own hardware store, and the Paradise Motel offers both air conditioning AND color TV. My Paradise jokes were flying fast and furious as we drove through, and Julie laughed hysterically at each and every single one.

We did indeed find the very thing you would expect to find in Paradise:

IMG_8979.jpg

It was a humble (of course) one-story office. Sadly, it was closed that morning. I was hoping to see a "Gone Fishin'" sign on the door, but no luck.

Moving back into the fallen world, we met up with a couple of our closest friends, Bob and Kathryn and their two boys. We had found out they happened to be traveling to Ohio on the same day, and naturally we invited them to caravan with us for the day. Soon we were on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, heading for Pittsburgh.

In the course of my obsessive-compulsive vacation research, I've collected several books to help me choose destinations I want to visit and spectacular roads to drive. These include:

National Geographic's Drives of a Lifetime
National Geographic's Guide To Scenic Highways and Byways
Reader's Digest's The Most Scenic Drives In America

The Pennsylvania Turnpike is featured in none of these books.

From Harrisburg to Pittsburgh, it's some hills and farmfields and lots and lots of guardrail. So it was a good time for the kids to pop in their first movie. I believe they chose Mulan. Sarah isn't real big into the Princesses, but she has a soft spot for Mulan. Why? Because she isn't afraid to get dirty. :love:

The drive to Pittsburgh wasn't too bad. There are a few tunnels through the Allegheny Mountains to break things up and provide interest. Plus, I can torture Julie, as she has never been a fan of driving through tunnels. Or over bridges. Good thing she married a civil engineer! :thumbsup2

Along the way, I got a call from Christopher (stopher1 on the boards), another DisDad I was (spoiler warning!) planning on meeting during the trip. As I drove, I spoke to him using our high-tech hands-free system: Julie puts the phone on speaker and holds it near me while I drive and talk. :mic:

I (or rather Julie) hung up and then checked the rear-view mirror to see...no Bob and Kathryn. :confused3 They'd simply vanished along the way. One minute they were there, and the next...gone! :eek: Had they been abducted by aliens? Suffered a horrifying (and silent) crash? Ditched us completely?

I pulled over to the shoulder, and a couple of minute later we got a call--their son needed an emergency pit stop, as it were. Or, as he so eloquently put it, "The poopies are coming! The poopies are coming!"

So, um...they'd catch up in Pittsburgh.

We hit some traffic on the highway into Pittsburgh, but it was just an accident that needed to be cleared and didn't hold us up too much. Soon we were pulling into the parking lot at the food of our destination, right on schedule at lunchtime:

IMG_9039.jpg

It was here that we faced our first crisis of the day: where the heck was the bathroom? :confused3

Coming Up Next: Seriously, where the heck is the bathroom? And is the view from the top worth it?

You'll be happy to know that Paradise has its own hardware store, and the Paradise Motel offers both air conditioning AND color TV. My Paradise jokes were flying fast and furious as we drove through, and Julie laughed hysterically at each and every single one.

Riiight...... :rolleyes:

IMG_8979.jpg

I always wondered where the home office was. Funny, I never considered Pennsylvania. :confused3

The drive to Pittsburgh wasn't too bad. There are a few tunnels through the Allegheny Mountains to break things up and provide interest. Plus, I can torture Julie, as she has never been a fan of driving through tunnels. Or over bridges. Good thing she married a civil engineer! :thumbsup2

I think she was hoping you'd focus on Environmental Engineering, because who doesn't love a guy who can quote the finer points of waste water management?

I (or rather Julie) hung up and then checked the rear-view mirror to see...no Bob and Kathryn. :confused3 They'd simply vanished along the way. One minute they were there, and the next...gone! :eek: Had they been abducted by aliens?

Maybe?

Suffered a horrifying (and silent) crash?

Possibly?

Ditched us completely?

Ding ding ding.... we have a winner! :banana:

I pulled over to the shoulder, and a couple of minute later we got a call--their son needed an emergency pit stop, as it were.

Ok, so maybe not. :rotfl2:

Or, as he so eloquently put it, "The poopies are coming! The poopies are coming!"

Ah we've all been there, haven't we?

Coming Up Next: Seriously, where the heck is the bathroom? And is the view from the top worth it?

Crossing fingers (and other apendages) hoping that the answer to this question (and others) comes soon. :worried:

Like any good road trip, this one started the night before. Julie and I (ok, mostly Julie) had spent the past week slowly packing luggage and gathering most of our worldly possessions to pack in the van. This included strategically packing suitcases so that we'd only have to unload one at a time when checking into a hotel for the night (Bag 1 had clothes for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and so on). Obviously, since this was both clever and wise, it was Julie's idea.

We also made sure we had the most essential items for our road trip: a working portable DVD player and power cord, and the kids' Nintendo DS's. Oh, and these (check out the orange teeth!):

IMG_8991.jpg

Good to see we have the essentials very handy for breakfast. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

We had at least 8 hours of driving to do on Thursday plus a couple of sightseenig stops, so our plan was to leave the house at 6:00 a.m. Lest you think this was some kind of torture on our kids, 6:00 a.m. is about when they normally wake up each day. Yup, even on Saturdays. Which means it's normally when Julie and I wake up, too. So getting up slightly earlier wasn't much of a problem.

We actually got a late start: 6:04 a.m. After a quick stop at the World's Greatest Convenience Store for breakfast and

IMG_8989.jpg

If that truck had said "Starbucks" I would have been on it's tail. ;)

Julie, you are a saint!

I pulled over to the shoulder, and a couple of minute later we got a call--their son needed an emergency pit stop, as it were. Or, as he so eloquently put it, "The poopies are coming! The poopies are coming!"

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:Oh, how I remember those days. :lmao:

It was here that we faced our first crisis of the day: where the heck was the bathroom? :confused3

Great start, Mark. Can't wait to read more (comments in red throughout).

This included strategically packing suitcases so that we'd only have to unload one at a time when checking into a hotel for the night (Bag 1 had clothes for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and so on). Obviously, since this was both clever and wise, it was Julie's idea.
Excellent strategy, Mrs. Knowitall!:thumbsup2

(check out the orange teeth!)
Impressive! I'm sure you're proud.

IMG_8978.jpg

Clearly, we were starting things out on the right track.
Heck yeah! The Museum of Farm Machinery is a great way to start your trip.:thumbsup2 :rolleyes1

and Julie laughed hysterically at each and every single one.
You mean she laughed silently on the inside, right?

I was hoping to see a "Gone Fishin'" sign on the door, but no luck.
:lmao::rotfl2:

Because she isn't afraid to get dirty. :love:
Again, you should be proud!:thumbsup2

As I drove, I spoke to him using our high-tech hands-free system: Julie puts the phone on speaker and holds it near me while I drive and talk. :mic:
Was she eating cheeseballs too?:confused3 She could be your own personal Orangetooth.

I (or rather Julie) hung up and then checked the rear-view mirror to see...no Bob and Kathryn. :confused3
Unfortunately your friends weren't there... fortunately, neither was Fed.:rotfl2::thumbsup2

Oh no! :scared1: That is a crisis. I hope the poopies aren't coming!

Oh, and these (check out the orange teeth!):

Those Utz folks obviously use all-natural ingredients.

We actually got a late start: 6:04 a.m. After a quick stop at the World's Greatest Convenience Store for breakfast

Oh, you should have waited and gone to Jenny's Diner. You passed it along the way...it's on Rt. 30, just before the Rockvale outlets. Really good for breakfast, and BIG portions! :thumbsup2

...we were on our way. Soon, we crossed the Pennsylvania line and saw this mileage sign:

IMG_8978.jpg

I know exactly where that is! In fact, we took my dad to the "museum of farm machinery" that's advertised on the sign there, oh about 20 years ago. He has a restored tractor that he takes to the county fair every year, so he's into that kind of thing. We have a great picture from that day, that's probably a "you had to be there" kind of story, but I'll tell it anyway. He came upon a "Disc/Plow", which apparently is a combo disc and plow thingee, all-in-one (who knew, right?), which he was impressed with. So my mom took a picture of us in front of it. He was smiling away, while Judy and I stood behind him with our hands pressed to our faces, feigning amazement at the Disc/Plow. He had no idea until he saw the picture weeks later. He he he.

That's also not too far from glennbo123's neck of the woods, so it could be a reference to them as well.

"Could be"? ;)

And Glenn, I would have arranged to stop and say hi, but this was about 7:15 on a weekday morning. So you're welcome. :thumbsup2

I had probably already been at work for a couple of hours already. :rolleyes:

My Paradise jokes were flying fast and furious as we drove through, and Julie laughed hysterically at each and every single one.

Good thing you didn't drive through Intercourse. Julie would've kicked you the second you opened your mouth.

IMG_8979.jpg

I'd never made the connection with "Office" when I've seen that. Pretty funny!

(It's an orphange, if anyone's curious.)

It was a humble (of course) one-story office. Sadly, it was closed that morning. I was hoping to see a "Gone Fishin'" sign on the door, but no luck.

That may be your best joke yet! Matthew 4:19.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike is featured in none of these books.

Wha? :confused3

I guess Bob and Kathryn's son is looking pretty smart about this time, huh?

Mark, I thanked you for your PM and forgot to subscribe... How stupid can one be?? Fortunately Katharina alerted me to the fact that you had a new update!

The trip seems to be off to a great start - but how are you going to top Paradise? Most people make paradise their vacation destination and you just drive through... :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter