Running the tangents in Disney races

MeridaAndAngus

If you had a chance to change your fate would you
I am here to admit that I am terrible at running the tangents...especially in runDisney races. Honestly, as a new runner I had never heard of "running the tangents" until after my first rD 10k. Since learning of this amazing concept, I've noticed that each race I do, I always end up running a longer distance than the race is. For example, I did a local 15k that turned into a 10 miler (partially because of tangents, partially because the course was not well marked and I took a small "detour").

In the WDW Half last weekend (my first half), my GPS showed my mileage at a whopping 14.5 miles! Now, I know that part of this is due to weaving between runners (a no-no), and because I zig-zagged back to a couple of character stops to take selfies, and also due to a detour to use the real bathrooms in the walkway between Adventureland and Frontierland in MK.

Even with all these zig-zags, however, I know I added too much mileage on the course itself. But, even when I was trying to focus on running the tangents, the course for the WDW Half was so packed it felt nearly impossible. (Sidebar - I started in corral M, so while I was not at the very back of the pack, I was definitely in the latter 25% of the race field)

I'm looking for tips, tricks, ideas from fellow runDisney enthusiasts on how to best run the tangents, especially in runDisney races. I think this is especially challenging for those of us who are towards the back of the pack where the course is especially crowded. Should I just give up on trying to keep to the exact mileage in rD races and just remain focused on staying ahead of the dread balloon ladies?

I'm training for the Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland this year, and I'd like to avoid adding on a bunch of extra miles for my first rD challenge.

I've done several runDisney races and at this point I can't imagine there is a way to keep the distance you run exactly the measured distance.

2 factors a big, when you start and stop your GPS watch. IF you run to the bathroom, go to the med tent etc you have to stop and start your watch if you want it accurate for distance. There is also the fact that you have to start it when you cross the start mat and stop it when you cross the finish exactly.

Besides that there is really nothing you can do. You will always bob and weave in any race no matter what your pace is.

Unless you are going for a serious time, I say forget it and just enjoy yourself. There are too many people on the course to do a good job, and there are way too many twists and turns to stay close to the race distance with all of those people unless you are willing to sacrifice time to do so.

I try to accept there will be some distance gained and time lost in a crowded race like a rundisney event. My wife and I did quite a bit of bobbing and weaving at the WDW half and we ran about 7/10 of a mile extra according to my GPS.

I try to stay on the inside of all turns and run center of the road rest of the time.

Honestly, on the Disney half or really any larger race giving runners a full three lanes you will be hard pressed to come close to the tangent. Honestly, for all but the pointy end of the race running tangents is poor etiquette. Its better form in a crowd to hold your line along a multi-lane bend in the roadway. Saying that, if you know your race course and know that world drive bends slightly right then left, one can gradually move across the race as they approach the tangents of these sweeping corners.

Another issue at Disney are the parks. GPS devices use extrapolation to predict the next point where you will be - assuming you are always going to run straight. This feature allows the device to track position, speed and distance in a more efficient manner. Sharp bends and reversals in direction will create a 'long' record on the GPS device as the unit will first plot a few bad points as it catches up with the runner.

Your 14.5 is longer than many in the half but not beyond a range that I would consider in tolerance. Study the satellite view of the course and you will see that you should run the inner radius or left edge of the course through the first mile of the race. Once you hit the second bridge you should run move to course right setting up for the right into World Drive. One would hang to the right until about the 2 mile marker then very to the left as you pass Cap'tJack then very right to pick up the right side of the roadway again. Now most of us do not do that. I tend to run to the right at the start due to a thinner crowd and flatter road; I also feel very comfortable running on the grass on the right side of the road. I actually move course left as we approach the right hand turn onto World Dirve, again for flatter grass and to avoid the very ankle unfriendly rumble strips course right. It also set me up to run through the gore as we hit World and find space along the inner lane of World early. My actions are totally opposite a tangent run - but one that gets me through the crowd with limited weaving. I think my half was about 13.6 with one tree break.

IF you run to the bathroom, go to the med tent etc you have to stop and start your watch if you want it accurate for distance.

But if you're going to do that, remember you are doing it. If you are like me and can't remember that and can't do ANY sort of math while running, be prepared for a big surprise when you see official results vs GPS watch results. :upsidedow:scared::sad:

But if you're going to do that, remember you are doing it. If you are like me and can't remember that and can't do ANY sort of math while running, be prepared for a big surprise when you see official results vs GPS watch results. :upsidedow:scared::sad:

Also, if you're going to stop and start your watch (mine autopauses...sometimes), time doesn't actually stop ;). I know this seems obvious, but I know a girl who was swept, but she cried fowl--she said she was under pace according to her watch. But she had stopped for characters along the way, so yes her moving time was under pace, but not her total time. That didn't stop her from putting on a huge show, though. And of course, your official time includes all those bathroom breaks and characters. That's why rD races aren't usually PRs. Too many distractions! ;)

Also, if you're going to stop and start your watch (mine autopauses...sometimes), time doesn't actually stop ;). I know this seems obvious, but I know a girl who was swept, but she cried fowl--she said she was under pace according to her watch. But she had stopped for characters along the way, so yes her moving time was under pace, but not her total time. That didn't stop her from putting on a huge show, though. And of course, your official time includes all those bathroom breaks and characters. That's why rD races aren't usually PRs. Too many distractions! ;)

Yep.

I feel so bad that she was swept. :(

Because of my bathroom breaks (especially the one in Tomorrowland that I had to walk off the course to) and belly-related slowness (ugh) I ended up at something like a 16:42 minute. Moving time was under that, but the clock doesn't care. I'm just glad I started in L and don't stop for characters.

It was my first Half marathon that I had it auto-pause. So so so so surprised when I saw the official result that was 20 minutes longer than my Garmin said.

I try and do what Coach Charles said about running the edges and looking forward for the bend of the road. I very slowly crossed over to the opposite side when spacing allowed. I do all my training on both edges of the roadway so I get all of the joints used to the crown effect. I also do not mind going into the grass when needed. Thwn i am always looking a the feet of the runners in front of me so i can pic out the bad spots.

At the 5 Disney runs I have done I find that there are not many people that will go out to the edge of the road. Makes it a little nicer for me in less weaving. My Garmin 610 showed 13.26 for the half and 26.57 for the full. Part of the long full was I forgot to click it off when I crossed the line.

I'm looking for tips, tricks, ideas from fellow runDisney enthusiasts on how to best run the tangents, especially in runDisney races. I think this is especially challenging for those of us who are towards the back of the pack where the course is especially crowded. Should I just give up on trying to keep to the exact mileage in rD races and just remain focused on staying ahead of the dread balloon ladies?

As has been mentioned, it's very hard to run the tangents on a course as crowded as the Disney ones. If you do try to stick to the exact tangents, you will end up fighting through the crowd as you move from side to side and the masses just continue forward. That said, if there's room, you can save a lot of time/distance going around curves and bends in the course if you really focus on it. I had only 0.1 extra in the half and 0.18 in the full during Dopey by concentrating hard on a smooth and efficient path. Just pay really close attention to which way the course is turning and try to stay on the inside of that turn as long as possible. You don't have to rush back into the center right away either, if you keep in mind that the tangents are basically straight lines from one curve to another. It takes practice and is not easy to do (unless you're running London in which case there's a nice blue line to follow), but you can shave distance if you work hard at it.

As has been mentioned, it's very hard to run the tangents on a course as crowded as the Disney ones. If you do try to stick to the exact tangents, you will end up fighting through the crowd as you move from side to side and the masses just continue forward. That said, if there's room, you can save a lot of time/distance going around curves and bends in the course if you really focus on it. I had only 0.1 extra in the half and 0.18 in the full during Dopey by concentrating hard on a smooth and efficient path. Just pay really close attention to which way the course is turning and try to stay on the inside of that turn as long as possible. You don't have to rush back into the center right away either, if you keep in mind that the tangents are basically straight lines from one curve to another. It takes practice and is not easy to do (unless you're running London in which case there's a nice blue line to follow), but you can shave distance if you work hard at it.

When you're as fast as John, it is much easier to pick your lines and run them. ;)

I site far ahead and try to cut the corners the best I can while always looking to the side and back when changing sides. It is more important on the full since I go up to the wall in turn 2 on the race track to slap the top of the wall and then my mile 15 McFlurry stop exit/re-entry.

McFlurry John

When you're as fast as John, it is much easier to pick your lines and run them. ;)

I site far ahead and try to cut the corners the best I can while always looking to the side and back when changing sides. It is more important on the full since I go up to the wall in turn 2 on the race track to slap the top of the wall and then my mile 15 McFlurry stop exit/re-entry.

McFlurry John

I was wondering how one tried to run tangents, when veering of the course to a fast food restaurant.

Oh yes. I don't do this personally but if your actual race distance means that much to you I know people who start and stop the watch.

I always keep mine running so I know exactly what my pace is and if I need to pick it up or not.

I managed to hold to .15 extra in the full this year. I think the big savings is getting to the inside on the big/wide turns. Things like the big turns just past the Magic Kingdom parking booths up to the TTC, the speedway, the road to Animal Kingdom, and the entire World Showcase are places where you can fairly easily get to the inside and it will save a considerable amount of distance (at least .25 miles comparing the last two years for me).

I don't try to run tangents in the parks, as the paths are too narrow, and I don't think there is much distance to gain there. My experience is from a forward starting corral, so I imagine that it is more difficult with additional crowding.

Oh yes. I don't do this personally but if your actual race distance means that much to you I know people who start and stop the watch.

I always keep mine running so I know exactly what my pace is and if I need to pick it up or not.

I always keep mine running too. We stop for a lot of characters and bathrooms (we seem to overhydrate at these Disney races), so we are always flirting with that 16 min/mile threshold even though our actual running pace is closer to a 12-13 min mile. I don't want to be taken by surprise, so we never stop our watches. I also don't worry about the added steps. Time/distance really doesn't matter to me at Disney races, so I'm sure if you could look at the detail of our running path it would be crazy looking.

I think 3 or 4 times during the marathon, I hit the "lap" button on my watch at the mile marker signs to re-sync the alerts on my watch. The total distance stays the same, but this makes it so that my watch says I completed a mile at least close to the actual mile marker sign. It just messees with my head when it beeps for a mile completed, and I can't even see a mile marker.

For the half my watch tells me I ran 13.27.
For the full, I was in the 26.64 range.

I did manage to PR both. Definitely need to work on my tangents.

My wife and I always compare our distances with disney races. We did the Dopey Challenge and it was interesting to see our mileage depending on if we planned to walk, take pics, or actually try to race the course.

For example, my wife walked most of the half with her mother. Her total distance was 13.67. I raced the half and my distance was 13.31.

I've noticed that with walking, you tend to stick to one side of the course and can't do the tangents nearly as well because it would mean you'd have to cross the path of many runners. Also, there were many times where I favored the "inside" track and slowed down rather than trying to speed up and go to the "outside" of slower runners and walkers. I was even running on the grass a few times early in the race.

Amazingly, my full came out to 26.37. This is great for any race much less a full Disney.

I'm training for the Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland this year, and I'd like to avoid adding on a bunch of extra miles for my first rD challenge.

I ran the DDD this year (my first DLR race) and really noticed the big differences in photo opportunities. They came all at once and almost all in the same places (near Alice-IASW in DL and Cars Land/World of Color in DCA). I was in Corral A/B, so I didn't have to wait in lines really for the photos, but I also felt like I didn't have to run out of my way for any of them. Just stayed on course the whole time. Then of course there isn't much to photograph until you get to the stadium, but again you don't have to leave the course to get any of your shots. I stopped at every photo opp in both races and had an amazing time.

Long story short, I think you will find there is much less zig-zagging for the DDD!

Thanks! :thumbsup2

I think the big savings is getting to the inside on the big/wide turns. Things like the big turns just past the Magic Kingdom parking booths up to the TTC, the speedway, the road to Animal Kingdom, and the entire World Showcase are places where you can fairly easily get to the inside and it will save a considerable amount of distance (at least .25 miles comparing the last two years for me).

This is exactly right. The number of people that were not running along the very lower edge of the speedway was astounding. That's just giving away distance. Most of them rounded the last turn and went left directly over to the wall as well, rather than take a straight line from the end of the turn to the exit of the speedway. Small and easy savings like this are what add up to a lot of distance recovered over the length of a race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter