Running Renaissance: Road to Paris 2024

What a bizarre unexplained reaction! Are you allergic to anything that you know of?
Not that I know of. My assumption was that I was bit or stung by something but there's no noticeable bite/sting sites that I can find. I had a virtual doctor appointment today and the doctor thinks it was probably something in the air or that I ate since it was so widespread. This all happened more than 3 hours after I ate so seems weird it would take so long and then be so sudden. Anyway, I called the allergist today and have an appointment in a couple of weeks to get tested. My biggest concern is it happening again and being much worse.

Nov 1-7 Recap (61 days until WDW Half)
Wow! Only two months to go! I forget if I mentioned, but my whole family is going and we'll have 6 first timers! 4 of those are my nieces and nephews, aged 3-9. I know a lot about Disney but have never gone with children so I feel like a total rookie. Combine that with the fact that most of the adults just want to follow the leader, and we have very little direction at the moment which is kind of stressing me out. All we really know is what parks we're going to on which days. If anyone has tips on what attractions are good for the youngsters, let me know! The two older ones are tall enough for all the rides so I'm not worried about them as much. I'm sure it will all work out but I usually have at least some sort of plan as to what the must do items are each day.

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - Blind Progression
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 5.5 miles
Sunday - Long Run 8 miles

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - Blind Progression
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 5.5 miles
Sunday - Long Run 8 miles + 5K 😬

Some winners and losers this week. Wins: I ran all my training runs on the scheduled date and there were no unexplained allergic reactions. Losses: I'm still a bit fast on a lot of my runs and may have finally overdone it this week.

I was still very nervous about running outdoors on Tuesday so I picked a route that would be near roads in case I had to call for an emergency. I also brought my phone which is something I previously never did. The run was fine other than my pace being about 20s faster than prescribed. Still slower than EB so I'm not too worried about this particular error.

Wednesday was bittersweet with the end of the blind progression. I've enjoyed them for the most part but still mentally struggle with trying to figure out what the pace and effort should feel like. For some reason, I felt like I was slowing down throughout this run but when looking at the pacing I was actually gradually speeding up the entire time. My paces for each segment were all faster than previously and I think I probably pushed a bit too hard. This workout left me breathing heavier than the other progressions and it's harder to see the pace changes.

Nothing really notable to report on Thursday. My pace was still faster than EA but slower than EB. I was out of town on Saturday so didn't run my usual routes. This also made me a bit nervous. I still had my phone but wasn't sure I could accurately describe where I was should there be an emergency. Fortunately, the worst part of the run was the 280 ft of climb. When I moved last year, it was to an incredibly flat area so I only run uphill now on the rare occasion that I need to climb a bridge or overpass. For comparison, the run two days prior was only 85 ft of climb. The hills weren't too bad and I took them easy but I could still feel them in my legs.

Sunday is when the fun really started. I was signed up to be a running buddy for the Girls on the Run. However, I had no idea if the girl would run, walk, or some combination. After helping setup the packet pickup area, I had about 2 hours before the girls would arrive which was plenty of time to run and grab something for lunch. Since I didn't know if I'd be running or walking, I decided to run the whole 8 miles. This was after much debate if I should cut it to 6 or 7. Spoiler, I probably should have shortened my run but I'm stubborn and I wanted to get a longer run in before my 10 mile race on Nov 14. The long run felt good effort wise but I could feel the hills from the day before in my legs. The 5k itself was also really fun and I never felt pained or tired. However, I could definitely feel the effort in my legs when I got home and can still feel it a bit today. Very thankful for my Monday rest day. Other than the mandatory dog walks, I plan on doing a whole lot of nothing. In fact, maybe the dogs can just drag me...

Happy running y'all!

My best advice for touring Disney Parks with kids: You must have a plan!! Someone in your group needs to take charge. Of course with kids you do have to be flexible too, but having the bones of a good plan to follow when you can will take a lot of the stress out.

Our first trip, my DH & kids didn't understand my madness about meticulously planning a touring plan, but they quickly caught on when they realized we rarely waited in long lines. Now they just look to me and ask, "what are we doing next, Mom"? 😆

My best advice for touring Disney Parks with kids: You must have a plan!! Someone in your group needs to take charge. Of course with kids you do have to be flexible too, but having the bones of a good plan to follow when you can will take a lot of the stress out.

Our first trip, my DH & kids didn't understand my madness about meticulously planning a touring plan, but they quickly caught on when they realized we rarely waited in long lines. Now they just look to me and ask, "what are we doing next, Mom"? 😆
Ditto!

Absolutely this!

You must have a plan!!
I was afraid of that. Normally, I have no problem being the planner but this time I have no idea what to put in that plan. I’ll have to keep pestering my sister about what her kids want to do. She did at least finally tell me their heights after me asking for weeks 😆. I guess if I don't get any more insight from her we'll just do what I want 😁

Going with a group is an adjustment, going with a group with a collection of small people is a different adventure! Having been to the parks with 3-8 year olds, having a bare bones plan you are willing to adjust on the fly, a pile of snacks, and intimate knowledge of the nearest restroom is essential to the day. We generally pick one thing for each individual 's preference and one thing the group would enjoy and prioritize that, filling in whatever else we find to enjoy. Lines are sad for everyone but more so for munchkins so we tended to weight our plans with this in mind- Pan is fine but the line is long and the kids were just as happy with Pooh (and the treehouse to play in). If planning for a full day of the parks we also planned in some low-key attractions like Tiki room, Living with the Land, or Festival of the Lion King for a midafternoon opportunity to rest our feet and lower stimulation.

Last edited:

having a bear bones plan you are willing to adjust on the fly, a pile of snacks, and intimate knowledge of the nearest restroom is essential to the day.
Great advice! I typically have a rough plan and adjust based on wait times. However, being an adult and all, I never considered snacks or bathrooms!
Pan is fine but the line is long and the kids were just as happy with Pooh (and the treehouse to play in).
Good point. I loved Peter Pan as a kid so I was looking forward to taking the littles on this but I'll have to watch the wait times to see if it makes sense or not.
If planning for a full day of the parks we also planned in some low-key attractions like Tiki room, Living with the Land, or Festival of the Lion King for a midafternoon opportunity to rest our feet and lower stimulation.
These are legit some of my favorite attractions anyway 🙃. I think some are planning to take mid day naps and I already warned the others that they may catch me getting some rest at the hall of presidents.

Nov 8-13 Recap (56 days until WDW Half)
Hi friends! I'm coming to you a day or so early and I hope you don't mind 🙃. Tomorrow is race day and I'm planning to do a separate race recap so I wanted to get my weekly recap out of the way. I'll share a bit more in the recap but my goal is to get a new POT since my current one is from Feb 2019 and is obviously a bit aged. However, since I took a year and a half off of running before getting back into it this year, I really have no idea what my current fitness is so I'm just going to see how it goes tomorrow 🤪

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 4 miles
Wednesday - Block
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 2 miles
Sunday - 10 mile race

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 4 miles
Wednesday - Block
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 2 miles
Sunday - ???

Well look at that, I ran exactly as scheduled with no surprise 5Ks. ☺️ My legs were still EXTREMELY sore for my run on Tuesday. On the brightside, this meant I actually ran quite slow instead of somewhere between easy a and easy b paces.

My legs were still sore on Wednesday but I managed my first block run. After the warm up, I ran 7 min blocks progressing in pace from easy a all the way to threshold. It was a quintessential fall day: crisp, overcast with a slight mist in the air.
I made my best guess at a halfway turn around point. Unfortunately, I cut it a little short which meant I made it back home earlier than intended. That in itself isn't so bad except that it started raining heavily. I wasn't interested in venturing too far away once I made it back. This resulted in me running little circles and all the turns impacted my pace a bit. I was still fairly close and I'm looking forward to trying again next week.

Thursday easy run was very windy but the sun was out and I was happy to enjoy the seasonably nice weather. I also received an email from Strava that I was a local legend for my 27 efforts in the last 90 days. All this really means is that I'm the only one running the same route day after day but I'm still too nervous to venture the other direction toward the severe allergic reaction. I have an appointment with the allergist on Tuesday so I'm hoping to get some answers but not holding my breath.

And that brings me to today, just a short 2 mile shakeout before the race. My legs finally felt normal again, thank goodness. In hindsight, I think it was the 20+ squats in the girls on the run warmup that killed them and not the running. It's time I get serious about doing some strength training instead of just talking about it 💪.

A couple other running related updates this week as well:
1. That work conference with the "5k" is scheduled at the Swan in February so of course I signed up. I'm not quite in the same shape but my workplace is still >75% male so there shouldn't be a lot of female competition.
2. I'm finally above the curve for my 1000 mile goal this year. It's kind of hard to see on the graph but that blue line is my actual weekly miles and it's just barely peaking over the orange which represents the weekly mileage required if I were to run the same miles every week. I started the year a little slow on purpose to help my body adjust to running again but then I nearly fell off the tracks in May. Fortunately, I had this big scary goal which helped motivate me to get back to it. I'm excited to earn my belt buckle next month! 🤞

Well,I think that's enough rambling for now. Stay tuned for a race recap and happy running to you and yours!

Capital Pursuit 10 Mile Race Recap
It's been literal years since I've done a race recap so please bear pooh: with me.

Packet Pickup
This was a no frills packet pickup, just a few folding tables inside a local running store. They had a couple of volunteers which made the process quick and painless. My one gripe is that I had to drive 15 min to the store. Obviously not a deal breaker, but one of the primary benefits of this race was that I could walk/run to the start. I wish they would have had a pickup option closer to the actual race course.

Pre Race
I woke up to a weather advisory for strong winds. I hate running in the wind so I wasn't particularly excited but the advisory was set to expire at 8, an hour before start, so I was hopeful the wind would be a non factor.
About 40 min prior to the race, I laced up my shoes and headed out the door. The raw temp was around freezing but the wind made it feel like it was in the teens. My body wanted to run fast to warm up and I had to keep reminding myself to take it easy and save it for the race. I arrived at the start 25 min early which was perfect for hitting the toilets before others arrived but it was quite cold and there was little shelter available. I tried huddling next to buildings to block the wind but wasn't very successful. About 5 min before the race all sorts of runners started appearing. My guess is that they were all staying warm in their cars until the last minute.

Race
Heading into the race, I knew I wanted to try for a new marathon POT. With the new cutoffs, that meant a finish time <1:24:30, roughly 8:30/mile. Earlier this summer I ran a very hilly and humid 7 mile race with an 8:34 pace. I took this as good enough evidence to push for the POT but really had no idea how or if it would work. At the very least, I wasn't worried about failing because the only real risk was the second half turning into an all out suffer-fest and us runners aren't scared of a little pain. Would the weather support a faster time? Had I gained enough fitness in the last 3 months? Would I go out too fast and blow up before the finish?
I was a bit scared by the course elevation graph. There are no hills in my immediate area so I rarely run them. My plan was to take it slow the first half and just try to survive. Once I made it halfway, I could re-evaluate and, if nothing else, use gravity to get me across that finish line.

Start - Since I wanted a slow start, I lined up in the middle of the pack. This worked up until the start gun went off 🤪. Turns out, I don't like having others in front of me control my pace so I quickly weaseled myself out of the pack.
Mile 1 (7:53) - Whoops! That was way too fast. 🚀 I did have a slight downhill and a tailwind but I needed to rein it in.
Mile 2 (8:13) - Slightly better but still a tad fast. I knew there were uphills coming and planned to take those as an opportunity to slow down.
Mile 3 (8:36) - Right where I needed to be. ☺️
Mile 4 (8:36) - Wow, that's pretty consistent and fortunately the elevation graph just has a really poor scale and the hills weren't actually all that bad. 💪
Mile 5 (8:12) - I'm still feeling good and the worst of the hills are behind me. Total time is 41:30 and I know that I still have a shot at <1:24:30. 🏆
Mile 6 (8:25) - This mile was mentally tough. Even though I was past halfway, every step was literally a step further from the finish line as the crow flies and I just kept wondering when we would turn around and head back. I also was nearly hit by a car during this mile so that rattled me up quite a bit. 🤕
Mile 7 (8:12) - Yay! I finally I turned around! 🥳
Mile 8 (8:08) - Still on track but ready to be done. Where are those downhills that I earned? 🗺😕
Mile 9 (7:57) - I'm going to make it 😁 but still very confused how there could possibly still be an entire mile left 😦
Mile 10 (7:44) - Literally felt like I was running through molasses 🐌. Absolutely nothing left in the tank but I DID IT! 1:22:52!! 😄😄😄
3/16 age group
15/88 female
75/206 overall

Post Race
I crossed the finish line and was ready to collapse but first I had to find some water and snacks. Because it was so cold, we wasted no time before heading to the post race party at the local brewery. Unfortunately, we were limited to a tiny space and even though we were some of the first people there, there were no seats left so that was a real bummer. I enjoyed my free beer and hung around long enough for the awards but after that I spent the rest of the day on the couch. All in all, not a bad Sunday but I really hope I'm not that spent after the half in January.

Final Thoughts
I'm really pleased with my performance. I probably could have paced myself better but considering my first half and second half splits are within a few seconds, I'm not that worried about it. It's the first race this year that I felt really showcased my current fitness.
As for the race itself, I'm not so sure. The roads were not closed and while there were police and volunteers at most intersections, I was still very wary after my near miss. It is the only 10 miler I know of in the area so I could see myself running it again but I won't be seeking it out.
On a positive note, I did get a shiny new medal which Bucky was kind enough to model for me

Awesome!! :banana::banana::banana:
We give out banana trophies at work when someone does a good job which makes these dancing bananas even better 😁
top-banana-award-trophies-12-pc-~39_2110

Nov 15-21 Recap (47 days until WDW Half)
I've got a few more thoughts on my race and then we'll get into the training week.
1. I tried to get a photo of Hattie and Bucky with my medal but Hattie was too excited. 🤣
2. I was EXHAUSTED after the race. I keep telling myself that's why I'm training now so I don't end up like that at WDW. Hopefully it pays off 🤞. It's been awhile since I've ran a longer race but I don't ever remember being that spent afterwards. I don't pay much attention to the Garmin body battery but I'd say it was pretty accurate that day.
3. My body weight dropped 4lbs in the 4 days leading up to the race. I didn't change my diet at all and at this point I'm sort of convinced that my body was just trying to make itself as light as possible. It's since normalized a bit. Bodies are weird

Alright, on with the show!

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - Block
Thursday - EA 5 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 5.5 miles
Sunday - Long run 10 miles

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - Block
Thursday - EA 5 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 5.5 miles
Sunday - Long run 10 miles

Woo hoo! A+! All the runs on all the right days. Monday was a much needed rest day. Tuesday I had my first appointment with an allergist and the appointment spooked me a bit. The initial diagnosis is exercise induced anaphylaxis. Basically, I likely have some underlying allergies that are worsened by the stresses of exercise. I was advised to not run alone until we figure out what the allergies are but eventually we compromised on running with my phone. Even though I've ran for 2 weeks without incident, the doctor urged caution so I was more nervous than usual. Tuesday's run went fine and I was relieved to feel safe running again. I now have to run with my phone and epinephrine. As someone who was used to just lacing up and leaving, it's an adjustment but it's an adjustment worth making.

Wednesday's block run was a bit of a pacing battle. Overall, I was pretty close. I was within 4 seconds on all but two segments. 22s too fast on the EA and 7s too slow on the M tempo. I haven't quite figured out what the paces should feel like so I'm constantly checking my watch and adjusting.

Thursday I went into the office for the first time in over a month. Once again, this meant no lunch run. Due to afternoon commitments, I needed to run before work and it was colder than expected with a wind-chill around 15 degrees. Once I got going the run was fine and I was actually surprised at the number of other runners and walkers I saw out and about.

Saturday was nothing notable with the exception that I was nervous about the 10 miler the next day. I kept telling myself to take it slow so I had the energy for Sunday's run. I did end up running slower than usual but still 5-10s faster per mile than prescribed.

As mentioned, I was really nervous about running for 10 miles even though I had raced that far the week before. Part of me was worried it would be just as exhausting as the week before. There's also just something scary about double digits when you don't run them regularly. Another stress was just being out there on my own for so long. For this reason, I decided to run on the park roads instead of trails. I figured this way a car or ambulance could get to me quickly if needed. All the worry was for nothing because the run was fine. I even enjoyed the change of scenery and my overall pace was only 2 seconds faster than prescribed. The individual miles are a little more sporadic but as someone that struggles to find an exact pace, I'm taking this victory.

All in all an excellent week of running. I'm looking forward to another solid week this week and doing what I can when my vacation begins on Thursday.

On the allergy front, it's still a mystery. I did two rounds of skin testing which didn't raise any alarms. I'm waiting for the lab results to come back and hopeful there's some answers in those. The best outcome would be to find I had some hidden food allergy that I could easily manage by not eating that food anymore, especially before I run. That reminds me... Sunday was supposed to be nutrition practice. However, the doctor advised me not to eat for 4 hours before my run until we figure out what's going on. Needless to say, I didn't eat anything directly before or during the run. Thank goodness I'm not marathon training. I know my body can handle a half without extra fuel but it most certainly cannot run a full marathon.

Happy running!

Nov 22-28 Recap (40ish days until WDW Half)
¡Hola amigos! Escribo del Galapagos! This is meant to say "Hello friends! I'm writing from the Galapagos!" but my Spanish is not that great so hopefully it doesn't say something embarrassing like "I'm a donut" 😆

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - 2x2mi HM Tempo
Thursday - EA 5.5 miles
Friday - EB 6 miles
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Off

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - 2x2mi HM Tempo
Thursday - EA 5.5 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Off

Tuesday through Thursday was a pretty typical week. I was able to sneak the Tuesday easy run in over the lunch hour which is my preferred time, I'm awake enough but also not exhausted by the day's events. On Wednesday, we had early Thanksgiving at noon so I moved my run to the morning just to be sure I was ready when the rest of the family started arriving. Unfortunately, I didn't give myself quite enough time to wake up and had to make a return to the house for a quick toilet visit 😬. All in all, no issues just maybe a slightly longer rest interval then intended. Thursday morning we were off to the airport so it was another morning run. This time I had learned my toilet lesson and I was fortunate that all the rain had passed overnight 😁

The plan was to run on Friday before our next flight but that plan was put together when our flight was at noon. The flight to the Galapagos was rescheduled to 9:30a and due to extra screenings, we were told to arrive 3 hours prior. Running before 6:30a isn't a crazy idea but we didn't get to our hotel until after 1a and I was way too tired to do that to myself. The good news about the earlier flight is that we arrived to the islands around 2pm. Unfortunately, I was wiped out from the 48+ hours of travel and the run was just not going to happen.

I considered running prior to our 9a snorkeling tour on Saturday but the bed was too enticing. I probably should have ran but my body did enjoy the rest so I'm trying not to beat myself up about it too much. Sunday was another snorkeling tour, this one starting at 6a 😲 and included a hike up a pretty big hill to one of the most iconic sites of the Galapagos but I already forget what it was called 🤦‍♀️.

All in all, I did miss a run but there was some other exercise in its place so another solid week closer to the half marathon. The coming two weeks are about maintaining fitness while on vacation and I've got a good feeling it's going to work out.

¡Disfrutas correr!

Nov 29-Dec 5 Recap (34 days until WDW Half)
Hi friends! I can't believe race day is coming so quickly. I have about one more week on vacation and then the craziness of the holidays will make the time go by even quicker.

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - EB 6 miles
Thursday - EA 5.5 miles
Friday - EB 6 miles
Saturday - Off
Sunday - EA 5.5 miles

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - EB 4.6 miles
Thursday - EA 5.5 miles
Friday - EB 6 miles
Saturday - Off
Sunday - EA 5.5 miles

A bit of an odd schedule as you can see but that was intentional. The plan was designed with this vacation in mind and I more or less completed all the designated runs plus lots of other adventures.

Monday was a scheduled and much appreciated rest day. I noticed my calves were feeling tight and my best guess is that it was from all the snorkeling and flippers. I was also feeling a slight soreness in my abs so maybe snorkeling for hours on end also counts as the core work I've been neglecting? Bonus workout of kayaking myself and husband out to tintoreras; his legs were cramping so I had to do most of the heavy lifting.

Tuesday I woke up early to run before our 9am excursion. I had a lot of fun with this run exploring a new island and even making some friends along the way 😎.
(I have no idea why this is sideways)

Our Wednesday tour was from 7a-12p ish so I opted to sleep in and run in the afternoon. This worked more or less except that it was hot and sunny in the afternoon. Due to the weather, I decided to just cap my run at an hour and call it a day. This ended up being 4.6 easy miles.

Thursday's run was basically a repeat of Tuesday with the bonus of a 10k bike ride after. I thought it was going to be a fairly easy ride but it was mostly uphill and I got to deal with a bike that constantly skipped chains when going uphill. My rudimentary bike knowledge thinks that the gears were rusted and broken. Regardless, it was a much tougher day than I anticipated and I was exhausted by the evening.

On Friday we had a 6a ferry to the next island. Fortunately, our room was ready so I was able to leave my husband to relax while I completed my run that morning. I headed to Tortuga Bay because it was advertised as one of the world's most beautiful beaches and a nice walk. I must have a differing opinion because it felt like a roller coaster with all the ups and downs. Regardless, I made it the six miles.

Saturday was a nice off day with more snorkeling and hiking, which brings me to today, Sunday. Another 5.5 easy miles. Instead of the roller coaster, I opted to run up toward the highlands. This meant running uphill the first half but I paced myself and if wasn't so bad, plus the back half was a breeze. I made it back just in time for breakfast and for us to start our final day of exploring Santa Cruz.

So, that's all friends. Another odd week coming up until I return home next Sunday. I know my running is not ideal, but I'm finding a way to get in the time and I'm hoping that some of the snorkeling/biking/hiking cross training will help as well. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy myself and explore new places.

Happy running!

Dec 6-12 Recap (27 days until WDW Half)
We're into crunch time now. Just a couple more weeks of training and the taper to go 😄

The schedule:
Monday - Long Run 8 miles
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - EA 5.5 miles
Friday - Long Run 8 miles
Saturday - Off
Sunday - EA 5.5 miles

The actual:
Monday - Long Run 7.5 miles
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - EA 5.5 miles
Friday - Long Run 8 miles
Saturday - Off
Sunday - EA 5.5 miles

As you can see, another atypical week. Monday was ferry day which meant waking up early to take the morning ferry to our final island. Due to the early morning, I planned to run later. This was the right plan but the 2 hours on a little boat in the open water left me feeling a bit off. I decided I just needed to give it a try and was okay if that meant cutting the run short. I had no idea where I was going and kind of just ran around wherever looked good. This was my first paced run on vacation and that was nearly impossible. On top of the warm weather and humidity, there were some steep hills and the terrain varied greatly. I decided just to go by feel, whatever that pace may be. I ended up back at our room after 7.5 miles and decided that was enough. In hindsight, I could have gone the extra half mile. At the time, I thought my husband might be worried since I hadn't told him it was such a long run (he wasn't 😝). Also, it ended up taking over 90 minutes for me to get that far so while I didn't hit the mileage, I was on my feet for more time than expected.
1DA651C0-78B2-46CA-B215-516A4F5DCF09.jpeg

Tuesday and Wednesday were scheduled rest days to account for our all-day tours. On Thursday, I attempted to run on a path to a beach that one of our guides had told me about. The path started at the top of a tall hill so I was expecting a gradual downhill trail. At first the trail was manageable but quickly became very similar to a landslide. Since I wasn't interested in injuring myself, I turned around an ran along the bay.

Friday was our last day of vacation and my plan was to run on the bike path toward the highlands. Unfortunately, when I got to the path there was a no pedestrian sign. If I spoke better Spanish, I probably would have risked it but I don't have the language skills to get me out of any trouble. I decided to head toward another beach that had mostly paved access. Our guide had told me that this beach had another path to a cliff that was really nice views. I crossed my fingers that this path would be more runnable than the last. This worked more or less but there was still a bit of rock scrambling so my pace slowed dramatically but I knew this was my last chance to explore so I decided it was worth it. Below you can see a picture of the rocks and the view.
2B15B5C0-B9DC-40E4-8C5F-704572C72EC5.jpeg
14205D5E-D2C5-4C04-BE96-EC0A2A0E4234.jpeg

On Saturday we were still traveling back so it was another scheduled race day. Thank goodness for that because I got at most 2 hours of disjointed sleep on our red eye and was a complete zombie.

My Sunday run wasn't originally on the plan, so for this reason I was viewing it as optional. I was still a bit tired from all the travel but knew I had at least a few miles in me. My goal was to run 2 miles and see how I felt. If it was awful, I'd turn around early. Turns out, it wasn't awful. It felt good to run on a paved trail in T+D < 140.

Also, I ran my 1000th mile for the year! I'm really proud of this accomplishment. After a couple of lackluster years, my running is back in my happy place. I'm still not sure on my goals for next year but I'm starting to put a plan in place. More on that in the future!

Happy running y'all!

Dec 13-19 Recap (19 days until WDW Half)
Less than 3 weeks to go and it couldn't come soon enough. Training is starting to take its toll and I'm on the fringes of burnout. I'm looking forward to taking it easy and recovering already. Of course, I've signed up for my next two half marathons (April & June) so if will only be a brief pause but hopefully enough to get me excited again.

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - EB 6 miles
Thursday - EA 5.5 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EB 6 miles
Sunday - HM Tempo 3x2mi

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - EB 6 miles
Thursday - Off
Friday - EA 6 miles
Saturday - EB 6 miles
Sunday - HM Tempo 3x2mi

😖 Ughhh. I always have a problem getting back into running after vacation and this time was no different. I'm pretty good at running while on vacation but getting back into the habit is routinely a struggle.

There's really nothing to note about the Tuesday or Wednesday runs. I did try out a new route on Wednesday which included a big (for me) hill right at mile 2. It was also absurdly warm and windy.

By Thursday, the cold front had moved in and I was feeling a bit worn down so I decided to push the easy run to Friday. At the time, I didn't think it would do me any harm but now I think this probably wasn't the best decision of the week.

Friday was still a bit cold but slightly better than Thursday and I didn't feel near as tired. I was testing out a new route but ended up a bit further from home than intended so had an extra half mile in there. Saturday was yet another new route as I was trying to figure out some new alternatives.

Sunday's run sort of snuck up on me. I knew I had a HM Tempo run but I didn't realize it was going to be 12 miles. I had foolishly assumed it'd be in the 6-8 mile range. There's something about running double digits that still freaks me out. Plus, I don't even know the last time that I ran more than 10 at a time. I would guess it was for the Princess Half in 2019 or sometime shortly thereafter. I could tell in the first interval that my legs were tired but I was still able to hit the desired pace. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the next two, +8 & +10 sec respectively. I almost called it after the second interval because I could tell I didn't quite have it in me, but I decided to persist because I figured the mileage would be good for me. I can't say for certain that my tired legs were the result of running 3 days in a row but I'm sure it didn't help.

A tough week of training for sure. I'm trying to tell myself that's on purpose and I'll be well rested come race day but I was definitely having some doubts during my Sunday run. It's really kind of silly since I'm just running Disney for fun and I know I can finish the distance.

I've got one more tough week ahead and then it's on to the taper. ☺️

Happy running y'all! I hope that your motivation is in a better place than mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter