Running out of Turkey legs 15-20ish minutes before Prince Eric's closure, should Disney transfer turkey legs from liberty square or burden the guests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from Disney and had an amazing trip. But DH and I had an interesting conversation about the entitlement towards “surprise and delight” that we are starting to feel (unintentionally of course.) If you are at 6 Flags and they run out of food, you kind of shrug your shoulders and know that this is what happens in an amusement park. But Disney’s goal is to surprise and delight you, so in other circumstances they have probably gone above and beyond your typical amusement park expectations. Now however, rather than being surprised and delighted, your new expectation is the higher bar and you’re disappointed that they didn’t do more to meet your expectations regarding the turkey legs. We had that feeling a few times on our trip about different small things. It feels like the magic is missing but really it’s just that we are expecting magic every time.
Spot on about the "surprise and delight." We went earlier this month and had three experiences that would not have happened at Six Flags or our local zoo. The first is when my middle son spilled freshly bought popcorn in Frontierland. A CM saw the spill and told us she would get it refilled for us. At DHS, we were talking to a DVC rep at a booth and our oldest son happened to spill his frozen Coke we just bought for him. The DVC rep went to the QS we bought it from and got him another one. Neither time did we ask, the CMs just took care of it. The third was at the Polynesian. My oldest son had an allergic reaction (hives) while at the pool. The RCFD was called to ensure the reaction didn't impact his breathing. The resort manager visited us to see how she could help. Within an hour or so, she had a Pluto stuffed animal, Uno cards, and Benedryl sent to our room. In all of these moments and more, we felt like we mattered. We had a ton of great interactions with CMs of all areas of WDW. We always did our best to get their names and provide compliments on the MDE app.

OP, may I ask what was the compensation that you requested from Disney that they referenced in their response to you? I’m curious since this is clearly important to you and I am wondering what it is that you might have been hoping for from them in your complaint that would have smoothed this over with you.
A complimentary Turkey Leg voucher to use at Liberty Square for the inconvenience and time wasted. That is also what I requested day of.

Would you demand a store bring stock from a different place if they run out of an item?

You're honestly being SO unreasonable about a stupid turkey leg. Physical products can run out – you're presumably an adult and shouldn't need a sign to tell you that.

Would you demand a store bring stock from a different place if they run out of an item?

You're honestly being SO unreasonable about a stupid turkey leg.
If I go to a store with numerous locations and they ran out of stock in that particular store I am in, then many times the store will offer complimentary shipping where they will ship the item to my home for free. So yes I would expect that from Disney who brands themself as a magical vacation. Granted this is turkey legs we are discussing and they can't be shipped, but I am sure most stores if within walking distance would send someone to pick up the item to make the sale.

Am I being unreasonable? People on this forum complain that Disney still does not offer the service where they will send back souvenirs purchased in the parks to their room for free. Do any stores offer that service for free? Are all those people being unreasonable or just come to expect a heightened service?

If I go to a store with numerous locations and they ran out of stock in that particular store I am in, then many times the store will offer complimentary shipping where they will ship the item to my home for free. So yes I would expect that from Disney who brands themself as a luxury vacation. Granted this is turkey legs we are discussing and they can't be shipped, but I am sure most stores if within walking distance would send someone to pick up the item to make the sale.

Am I being unreasonable? People on this forum complain that Disney still does not offer the service where they will send back souvenirs purchased in the parks to their room for free. Do any stores offer that service for free? Are all those people being unreasonable or just come to expect a heightened service?

I'd hate to see how you actually deal with real hardships in life if this sort of thing sends you into a tailspin. Your poor kids.

I agree but I do think it should be listed on the app that the Turkey legs may run out or something to that nature.
I mean come on. Then they would have to track ice cream pop corn drinks burgers fries. Where do we draw the line? I mean come on. Seriously. There are way more impt things to be worrying about.

I mean even typing this and then reading it sounds nuts.

I find this thread very interesting. The hub and spoke design of MK however makes getting from one place to another very quickly, especially from fantasyland to liberty square. I’d also assume the little ones would be in strollers so the trek wouldn’t make much of a difference.

I could totally see being upset if they were out of legs at the American pavilion and the only other place to get them at Epcot was by Guardians and you were staying at Boardwalk and wanted one on your way out. But all that said if it’s the end of the night and the park is closing in 15 minutes the argument is moot because the goal is to sell out so there’s not food waste.

PS … the best thread ever was the Admin please close one on the budget board

I mean come on. Then they would have to track ice cream pop corn drinks burgers fries. Where do we draw the line? I mean come on. Seriously. There are way more impt things to be worrying about.

The line is drawn at just turkey legs for now. Until someone complains about the next item, which then it gets added by Mr. Iger (he's the CEO and needs to personally oversee this venture) to the tracking list. Over time, all things will be actively tracked by WDW for our pleasure. The MDE app will truly reflect my Disney experience at that very moment when I'm in WDW. That's pretty neat and adds a ton of magic.

I mean the app provides the wait time for carousel of progress even though we all know what the wait time will be............

I find this thread very interesting. The hub and spoke design of MK however makes getting from one place to another very quickly, especially from fantasyland to liberty square. I’d also assume the little ones would be in strollers so the trek wouldn’t make much of a difference.
My little ones don't use strollers after they have been walking for about one year which is why we try to be as efficient as possible with regards to our routes. We want to stay as a one stroller family and if all little ones had a spot we would be a two stroller family which would be totally excessive.
I could totally see being upset if they were out of legs at the American pavilion and the only other place to get them at Epcot was by Guardians and you were staying at Boardwalk and wanted one on your way out. But all that said if it’s the end of the night and the park is closing in 15 minutes the argument is moot because the goal is to sell out so there’s not food waste.
I agree that food waste is a concern but this was before 6pm when the Liberty Square spot still had 3 hours left of selling, if anything this would increase the risk of food waste.
PS … the best thread ever was the Admin please close one on the budget board

We have never had a Turkey a Leg been going since 1991 and My wife as a child since the 70's. My son says he wants a Turkey a leg but has never got one in the 17 years he has been going so I cannot relate.
We however have waited in line on a number of occasions only for the ride to go down and have been given a fast pass. But to compare apples to oranges.... in my case we did get compensated with another ride but that is like the CM making you pay (us waiting in line) walking to the other location as we need to do to use the given compensation and being handed a chicken leg. So in the case you bring to light the compensation we receive when a ride breaks down is insulting if in fact another location had the same exact Turkey leg you wanted.

My little ones don't use strollers after they have been walking for about one year which is why we try to be as efficient as possible with regards to our routes. We want to stay as a one stroller family and if all little ones had a spot we would be a two stroller family which would be totally excessive.

I agree that food waste is a concern but this was before 6pm when the Liberty Square spot still had 3 hours left of selling, if anything this would increase the risk of food waste.
It’s not Disney’s fault you don’t want to walk far because you have young children and choose not to use strollers. I have three kids and until they were 5 we used strollers just due to the miles you walk in a day at a theme park and it’s a lot on their little legs and they could nap if they got tired. A hangry and tired kid is not anything I wanted to deal with as a mom. I was sad when we didn’t use them anymore just because it was great to store all the stuff for a day in the park that we now lug in a backpack instead.

It makes total sense to me that the liberty square location was stocked then if they were open for three more hours and the one you were at was closing soon and out of turkey legs. I really don’t get your argument.

We have never had a Turkey a Leg been going since 1991 and My wife as a child since the 70's. My son says he wants a Turkey a leg but has never got one in the 17 years he has been going so I cannot relate.
We however have waited in line on a number of occasions only for the ride to go down and have been given a fast pass. But to compare apples to oranges.... in my case we did get compensated with another ride but that is like the CM making you pay (us waiting in line) walking to the other location as we need to do to use the given compensation and being handed a chicken leg. So in the case you bring to light the compensation we receive when a ride breaks down is insulting if in fact another location had the same exact Turkey leg you wanted.
uhhh I am a tad confused, what exactly is insulting?

It’s not Disney’s fault you don’t want to walk far because you have young children and choose not to use strollers. I have three kids and until they were 5 we used strollers just due to the miles you walk in a day at a theme park and it’s a lot on their little legs and they could nap if they got tired. A hangry and tired kid is not anything I wanted to deal with as a mom. I was sad when we didn’t use them anymore just because it was great to store all the stuff for a day in the park that we now lug in a backpack instead.

It makes total sense to me that the liberty square location was stocked then if they were open for three more hours and the one you were at was closing soon and out of turkey legs. I really don’t get your argument.
The argument is simple, Disney could of transferred the Turkey legs to Prince Eric's from LS when they realized they would run out of Turkey legs prior to close, then when prince eric's closed they could of transferred the excess back to LS or to Gaston's as opposed to disappointing everyone/making them make a hike.

I agree a hangry kid is not something anyone wants to deal with, but unfortunately I had to deal with that because Disney ran out of Turkey legs despite my proper planning.

We also can't practically use two strollers because logistically we can't hold our kids who actually need a stroller along with the two stroller's, it just is not possible. Our older children (who are still young) would much rather be in Disney without a stroller then not at all

Hi y'all,

I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience and if you think this is acceptable at Disney because it was highly annoying. A few days ago I was at MK with my family and arrived at the Prince Eric turkey leg stand approximately 25ish minute prior to close with the sole intention of getting a turkey leg then going on the little mermaid ride. After waiting in line for 10ish minutes I was informed by a cast member that there were no more Turkey Legs and that the nearest one's were at Liberty Square. This is despite no signs indicating limited time offering, or "while supplies last" or anything indicating they may run out, or anyone informing the people waiting in line that they may run out.

In addition, Disney could of been proactive and had the Turkey legs from Liberty Square transferred over instead of forcing everyone to either make the trek all the way there or stay hungry as the eating options in MK (especially that area) are very limited. I reached out to guest relations and their response as this is an issue that Disney could of prevented and this was the response I received back:

"Thank you for reaching out to us at the Walt Disney World Resort.

I am sorry to hear Prince Eric's Village Market ran out of Turkey Legs on your visit. As you can imagine this is a popular item and can sell-out. I do understand your disappointment in waiting fifteen minutes to find the item you wanted was sold-out. As there are other items available there, such as drinks, pretzels and fruit the Cast Members may not know what each Guest wants when standing in line.

I was happy that the Cast Member was able to advise of another location that still had the Turkey Legs available, but I understand your frustration in needing to visit a different area of the park. I do understand that you were hoping for some sort of consideration, but unfortunately, at this time, that is not something we would be able to provide to you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. "

For the amount of money we pay to be Annual pass holders and planning involved in a vacation in Disney, it is just highly ironic that Disney is not held to any type of standard regarding their own planning and can just willy nilly mis-plan and instead of taking responsibility of the issue they shift the burden of the solution onto us the consumer.

Such as this issue was a problem Disney could of solved by (1) planning better or (2) proactively having Turkey Legs transfers, and instead of doing that they instead shifted the burden upon the customer who was not in the best spot to predict this issue. Now I know in the wide scheme of life this isn't a huge issue, but it is something that impacts the quality of my vacation at Disney as unpredictability and inconveniences at Disney add up and do negatively impact my vacation.

TL;dr: is it acceptable for Disney to run out of Turkey legs at prince eric 15 minutes before closing and tell guests to go to liberty square vs having Disney proactively transfer the Turkey legs from Liberty square when they realize they may run out. aka should Disney or the guest bear the burden of the solution.
I agree with you. It's a first world problem, but I would have been so annoyed, too. It's the attention to detail and quality service that used to set Disney apart from other amusement parks. The fact that they don't care and don't proactively plan to ensure that their guests have a top-tier experience is why I haven't gone there in 3 years. Disney is doing away with what made them special and worth the extra expense.

I agree with you. It's a first world problem, but I would have been so annoyed, too. It's the attention to detail and quality service that used to set Disney apart from other amusement parks. The fact that they don't care and don't proactively plan to ensure that their guests have a top-tier experience is why I haven't gone there in 3 years. Disney is doing away with what made them special and worth the extra expense.
Exactly, well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter