running around Disney?

runnergrl

Earning My Ears
I know this is a bit off-topic, and I'm sorry, but I thought this was the best board to ask it in.
I'm going down to Florida/Disney for about a week in September. As my username implies, I like to run. About a month after Disney I'm running a marathon so I'd like to get some decent runs in. Tentative schedule calls for a 20-miler...but it is 4 months away! Regardless of the length I'd like a few 7-10 milers in and at least one longer run. I'm staying at the Boardwalk and the longest route I can find is about 2-2.5 miles. I'd like to not run the same loop 5+ times, everyday if it can be avoided.

Does anyone know of some decent length routes around the Disney area? I'm okay with out and backs and repeating occasionally, but some variety would be nice.

Most of the resorts have jogging paths but as you say most are under two miles. Found the following for resorts in the Epcot area, Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotels
Enjoy a scenic, 0.8-mile loop around Crescent Lake. For a more challenging trek, 2-, 3- and 4-mile routes are also available.

I think you are talking about running from your resort to H.S. Nice route but I imagine it would get boring after five times!

There is a footpath...you will need to get a map tho. I was taking long walks around there as I stay at the Dolphin. The footpath went outside the hotels to a set of lights. Crossing the road there (and it is a busy road) led to other resorts...if I recall....(because I haven't walked to those other resorts in a while) I could cross over to Carribbean Beach Resort...and if I recall again...they had a path that ran across their lake.

I would see about downloading or checking out a map of Disney. Also, I would gather you would be going out pretty early to avoid a lot foot traffic in your way.

As my username implies, I like to run.

Imply? I think your username is quite explicit about your liking to run! :)

As you and the others have pointed out, there are shorter running trails at almost all the resorts. I'm afraid that if you want a longer run, you'll have to go on the bigger roads (and some of those aren't runner friendly).

I *HIGHLY* recommend using MapMyRun.com and click on "Create a Route". It pulls in Google Maps (and you can use the satellite view if you want - I find that more helpful).

Using that site/tool, you can find a couple of routes that suit you! I use it all the time for when we visit new cities.

Hope that helps!

When I stayed at Beach Club a couple of years ago I did an 8-miler. It included about 1.5 loops of Epcot Resort Blvd, 3 times out and back to DHS, and a couple of loops of the boardwalk around Crescent Lake. I didn't find it overly repetitive, considering the scenery and surroundings. Here's the Garmin track if you want to check out the distances: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/188468920

I think Coach posted a route like this, but you might want to check out the Downtown Disney area and surrounding hotels. The paths might be disrupted with the current construction, but there is a walking path that connects DTD to Old Key West. That has to be a couple of miles. You might be able to get from OKW to POR and get another 1-2 miles out of that.

Found this on a blog.

I HIGHLY recommend running out the backside of Old Key West on the path to Downtown Disney, it’s too boring running inside OKW. You can loop through DTD and exit near Rainforest over to Saratoga Springs, loop through there and out the back to Treehouse Villas, and then cross the canal back to the OKW path and back home. The great thing about running Disney resorts is there is water EVERYWHERE, learn where the quiet pools are at the resorts and work them in to your route, doesn’t hurt to grab a towel for wiping the “Florida sheen” off of you occasionally, dang humidity

I did my long runs at All Stars (18 miles) and Pop/Art/Caribbean (22 miles)

What I do is start at one end and then start looping around the buildings on the sidewalks in front of the rooms since they are all exterior corridors it works great.. Once I finish one block move to the next etc- I never encountered more then the occasional guest walking by which either was jump to the grass for a few paces or just a walk break- If you run during housekeeping time youll often get some fun encouragement :)

-em

I know this is a bit off-topic, and I'm sorry, but I thought this was the best board to ask it in.
I'm going down to Florida/Disney for about a week in September. As my username implies, I like to run. About a month after Disney I'm running a marathon so I'd like to get some decent runs in. Tentative schedule calls for a 20-miler...but it is 4 months away! Regardless of the length I'd like a few 7-10 milers in and at least one longer run. I'm staying at the Boardwalk and the longest route I can find is about 2-2.5 miles. I'd like to not run the same loop 5+ times, everyday if it can be avoided.

Does anyone know of some decent length routes around the Disney area? I'm okay with out and backs and repeating occasionally, but some variety would be nice.

Will you have a car? If so, there are several other long runs on property as well as the close by Orange County Trail

Here is a three loop BW run of 7.5 miles - you can make this work several different ways to add or subtract

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/411842572/

7.5 mile Loop

Loop 1
Loop Crescent Lake (With and out and back to the Epcot Ticket Booth) I started at the BW Boat Dock, headed to Epcot Tix Booth, then back to the lake and looped around to BW.

Loop 2
Loop Epcot Blvd Sidewalk – Picking up from Loop1, make the same loop but as you come off the bridge nearest Epcot look for a small gate on the right. It heads back along the Epcot side of the Beach. Follow the sidewalk staying to the outer edge of the building. The building splits and the sidewalk forks at the DCV break… Stay right. You will dead end with a “Cast Member Only” gate… This is the loading dock for the resort – use care and run across the drive and pick up the perimeter sidewalk. Run around the reosrts until you pass the Swan and make a ricght along Buena Vista. The sidewalk will fork at the bridge over the canal, take the fork and follow the walk up to the Swan. Once up to the swan a sidewalk will head around the building on the right. Follow the walk to the main Walk at the Bridge and then head to DHS. Once at DHS I run over to the Boat Dock then head back to the starting point.

Loop 3
The final loop starts and loops just as Loop 1. The difference is that after you pass the Yacht Club, Go right at the fork in the road – passing the yacht Tennis courts and hopping onto the service road and the onto the perimeter sidewalk. Follow until the first road into the Dolphin (service road) .. I run the outer edge of the parking lot across the main entrance and then look for the sidewalk heading near the pool. Once near the pools I work back to the inner lake sidewalks and back to the BW Start.

A word of Caution…. Disney used to post a perimeter run that loops along the outside of the BW . I personally would not try to make the entire outer or perimeter loop as if heads under the water bridge. The safety issue is that you will run about a quarter mile on either side of the bridge on grass with a slope into the street. Once near the water bridge, the sidewalk resumes but then as you climb back out you are forced back onto the grass. The hidden surprise is that the lane you run next to often had water standing in the curb… making you the runner a target for a nice splash.

The perimeter sidewalk is well taken care of but there can be a few irregular joints in the walk. Disney regularly repairs these but keep on the look out.

Have fun. You will find water and restrooms along the path near the pools. Run with your magicband to gain access to some of the baths.

Feel Free to browse my Mapmyrun routes for other on property routes. For safety, please do not run on the roadways between resorts unless there is a walk. The Orange Cnty Trail is a great option for the long run, if you have a car. There are several trail heads... http://apps.ocfl.net/images/maps/WOT_TrailMap.pdf If you want a rolling run, then head west from the Killarney Station. If you want less rollers, stay between Killarney and about 5 miles north and east of Winter Garden. If you run north and west past Winter Garden, make a u-turn when you pass the Golf Course. While trouble is rare, past that point has had a few instances of some trouble. The great thing about the Killarney and east is that there is water at least every 5k.

Don't know if this has been said or not, but there is a great path from OKW that goes through the golf course, past SSR and then to DTD and back. We rode bikes there once.

Hourglass Lake, between Pop Century and Art of Animation Resorts, has bathrooms, water faucets, and is lit at night.

Thank you everyone. Despite my seeming absence from this thread I HAVE been watching and following. Everyone's suggestions were helpful. I may do some searching for various routes (such as bussing around Disney for better locations). Yes, I plan on running early-ish in the morning (not too early, it is vacation after all but like 7am sounds like a good compromise). I may end up running some questionable roads at times too. And I suppose repeated loops and routes are inevitable to some extent as well.
thank you again for all your suggestions :)

You could also run in Fort Wilderness. There is a map and there is a loop that is about 3 miles. There is a trail about 1 mile long that goes between The Fort and Wilderness lodge. You could also run through the RV loops and see everyone's rigs. Some people have cool decore. Fort Wilderness is very shaddy and it has comfort stations with bathrooms and water fountains.

I did a couple of runs (only 6 and 7 miles) on my current trip from WL to FW and it was really nice - my first time visiting Fort Wilderness in any capacity. This morning I saw three deer who leaped over a fence right in front of me!

One thing that struck me this week is that as I was leaving the YMCA Aquatic center on I-Drive after a swim workout early Monday morning, I saw several people obviously getting doing their morning run in that area before the rest of their day's activities. I realized that I would rather do 10 repeats of the out-and-back between Boardwalk and DHS or around Fort Wilderness than do a single non-repeating loop of the scenery on I-Drive. I do the same thing in my own town - before my first marathon, I did these gigantic loops around my town, but honestly some of the areas are just not that appealing. Now when I need to do 18 or 20 miles, I'll do overlapping loops that may take me past the hospital with the drinking fountain where I can refill my water bottle several times, or loop the same tree-lined neighborhood in two different directions, etc. rather than the long loops that took me past long stretches of ugly commercial buildings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter