RunDisney Solo Weekend

Popo

Mouseketeer
I was wondering how many runners do RunDisney weekends solo. How do you spend the weekend? It has been 14 years since I have had family with me for a race weekend. My stepdaughter and her husband will be joining me for Princess weekend. I'll be solo again for Springtime Surprise. I am finding planning with others in mind is definitely more stressfull.

I was wondering how many runners do RunDisney weekends solo. How do you spend the weekend? It has been 14 years since I have had family with me for a race weekend. My stepdaughter and her husband will be joining me for Princess weekend. I'll be solo again for Springtime Surprise. I am finding planning with others in mind is definitely more stressfull.
Well... with a runDisney weekend I never find you are truly solo. I have done several "solo", but I have also made plenty of friends in this community that I am always meeting up with people. The great thing I find about solo trips is if you want to take a break you can. If you want to do X you can. You don't really have to make compromises.

I was wondering how many runners do RunDisney weekends solo. How do you spend the weekend? It has been 14 years since I have had family with me for a race weekend. My stepdaughter and her husband will be joining me for Princess weekend. I'll be solo again for Springtime Surprise. I am finding planning with others in mind is definitely more stressful
Almost all of my race weekends are solo. DW has come with me a couple of times, but the experience was unsatisfying for both of us. I always worried I was impacting her vacation with needing to eat early and specifically and not being able to stay out for fireworks. She felt like she was keeping me up later than I wanted to be and was keeping me from getting ready for the races comfortably. So I go solo for races and we take a separate trip to enjoy Disney together.

I love the solo experience. I go to the meet-ups for my social interactions and then am free to do what I need/want to do when I need/want to do it.

I did this last MW solo. I have friends who are at the races so I never feel truly alone but I was 100% in charge of my schedule, and had a room to myself, which I loved. I might not always have that luxury bc it’s nice to split room cost with someone but if I can choose that’s the way I’d go.

The race weekends can be a great place to do a solo trip. The expo, races, meet-ups, etc. provide plenty of opportunity to interact with others. And yet you can still very much direct your own day, making sure to rest or play as much as you feel is right given the races. I have done race weekends with family, with friends and solo. TBH, I think I like it best solo, there is just no pressure. I am doing SS solo this year, and very excited!

Princess weekend is my first solo trip! I am meeting a friend I met through RunDisney for dinner after the HM. I'm staying at All Star Music and read there are lots of runners who stay at the values. I am an extrovert so I'm sure I'll find someone to sit with poolside or at the QS lol!

Did all but Marathon weekend in 2022 solo, it was great not having to worry about the early wake ups, not having to worry if you felt like going back to your resort room for a quick break. Meet ups with running pals was not stressful working about your family being bored.
Love having them there but is a little easier.

I’ve done three solo run weekends now and I love it. It’s so great to focus on myself and enjoy some quiet time. And I’ve had so much fun meeting new people during the races or at the expo. I probably wouldn’t talk to so many new people if I had family and friends along.

My first time was for a half-marathon. It was my first half and I was unsure how I would feel the next day, i.e. would I be OK to drive back, so I flew down and did the Magical Express thing. It was pretty cool from the get-go with the Delta flight crew asking for a show of hands of who all was running before we left Atlanta. I went to the Expo and then to join some fellow Disney Running peeps for dinner. There was a long delay before the semi-magical express delivered my suitcase at appx 10:30 pm. Lesson learned about keeping my running gear in the carry-on, just in case. After the half, I spent a day in HS with another runner and her sister. We decided to try the new shooting gallery ride and our legs tightened up with all the extended standing. She was doing the full marathon the next day for a Goofy and I felt terrible about negatively affecting her race. Another lesson learned. I still go into the parks after races, but any lines have to be short.

My next trip down was with family. It was nice to have someone there to drop me off before the race and to cheerlead along the race course, and to spend time with later.

Last year I traveled solo for the Dopey. Upside was not having to coordinate *any* dining or parks, or having to worry about anyone else's sleep schedules and such. The downside was not having anyone to share time in the parks. I'm pretty sociable and not shy about interacting with other people in line for the rides and what not, but it still would have been nice to link up with someone else or a group to go around the parks after the races. And it makes a big difference between having to do just a day or two vs a full Dopey set of races.

Upside was not having to coordinate *any* dining or parks, or having to worry about anyone else's sleep schedules and such. The downside was not having anyone to share time in the parks. I'm pretty sociable and not shy about interacting with other people in line for the rides and what not, but it still would have been nice to link up with someone else or a group to go around the parks after the races.
I am with you on this. I will be down with my stepdaughter and her husband for Princess. I am doing the Challenge, they are walking the Half. We arrive and leave on different days. The only easy decision during the planning process was changing the room reservation from one bedroom to a two bedroom. The only thing we could agree on after that was Space 220 for lunch after the Princess Half. They insisted on having Mexican at Epcot the night before the Half. No way could I do that. Choice of parks was complicated by me going to Lakeland for Spring Training game. Long story short, we ended up planning trips separately.

Almost all of my race weekends are solo. DW has come with me a couple of times, but the experience was unsatisfying for both of us. I always worried I was impacting her vacation with needing to eat early and specifically and not being able to stay out for fireworks. She felt like she was keeping me up later than I wanted to be and was keeping me from getting ready for the races comfortably. So I go solo for races and we take a separate trip to enjoy Disney together.

I love the solo experience. I go to the meet-ups for my social interactions and then am free to do what I need/want to do when I need/want to do it.
I normally do all my "home races" solo but prefer to travel with family or running friends for destination races. I'll be traveling to WDW for the princess half in 2024 (assuming I can get a spot!) With non-running family. I'm thinking the next WDW race after that I would try solo. All these solo runner replies making it sound very dreamy!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts